The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. KveTar

KveTar Well-Known Member

Because he's MP scaled.

2. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's been a while since I've touched it but I don't remember any breakage issues with it. They use (color mismatching) Nylon and clicky ratchets like the original did. I'd assume that there will be the usual random QC errors you'd find on KOs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

News Credits:
    Dedicated thread here if you want to find out more: KO CW Devastator (Downsized confirmed)

If you are leaving it in combined mode, then it should be fine.

But if you like to transform them often, Then the thin tabs on some of them will break eventually. I have tabs broken on Long Haul, Bonecrusher, maybe Hook as well.

Even if you are lighthanded, at least one or two will break cos they are so thin that they cannot withstand constant usage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Got this guy in yesterday and I gotta say, for $17 he is pretty amazing QC wise. My only minor complaint (other than the stomach being a bit thin, but thats a design/aesthetics issue) is that the chest wing won't plug into the shoulders. Other than that, this is beyond worth the money I paid for him.
    20230110_172918.jpg 20230110_172137.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  5. raoh123

raoh123 Manga Artist

News Credits:
    Wei Jiang Scattershot into Jhiaxus!
    20230111_210849_HDR.jpg 20230111_210701_HDR.jpg 20230111_210636_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  6. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

• Like Like x 1
  7. DarkSkull

DarkSkull Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It looks like the same jet, even among the accessory figures there is talk of a tank similar to that one, but he doesn't mention a possible combination between the two...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    https://www.blibli.com/p/mainan-fig...s-superrobot-robot-mainan/ps--VAM-60040-02308

And this would be the tank...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    https://www.blibli.com/p/mainan-fig...ickupPointCode=PP-3086823&pid=VAM-60040-02305

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  8. VelsR

VelsR Ancient of War

News Credits:
    About the giant green/purple bot I shared some pages back, it seems SirToys is now carrying it. But be aware that shipping will be slow due to Chinese New Year shutdowns.

upload_2023-1-12_14-50-55.png

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bakarina

Bakarina Unapologetic Megatron Fangirl

Does anyone know the best way to remove faux tampgraphs from KOs? I've tried 90% alcohol and it does very little. I've heard everything from dry erase marker, pencil eraser, wet magic eraser, gundam marker remover and even Windex spray but I'm unsure which is best for transformers and plastic. If there's something that removes tampos without removing the paint, that would be even better but I won't hold my breath.

10. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

here's one without using chemicals, if you're nervous about that, and also not being so aggressive it affects the paint.

Quick Tip: How to remove Tampos without using chemicals. - YouTube

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thalyn

Thalyn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Careful with buffing wheels. It's very easy to get hot enough to warp ABS, so don't go crazy with the speed and make sure you keep enough compound present to act as a lubricant.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Ha! I love the GGG Truck Brothers!

Is that made by Happywell? Which scale are these? They seem like they might be the little Legends-sized KOs. It looks like they're in Takara-accurate colours, but I didn't know Happywell ever produced the full-sized versions in that deco.

Just to add to KveTar's note, I recall there was an interview with the designer who said something about how CW Devastator was actually conceived as a place-holder for Devastator in people's MP collections, which is why the scale is so off from the other CW stuff.

But I agree, it still feels like an omission from the CW line, not having a Devastator in matching scale.

That... that actually works pretty well! Nice! :thumb 

I've used regular white erasers (for pencils) and achieved some results, but only after vigorous erasing. I've also used alcohol, and erasers and alcohol together. Alcohol works best if it has some time to soak, but as always, don't over-soak and don't let the alcohol anywhere NEAR clear plastics.

But overall, I've had completely uneven results with all the methods discussed. Some tampos come off easy, others appear to have been forged in the heart of a dying star, and are proof against all human tools. :/

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  13. DarkSkull

News Credits:
    Yes this is an HW product, once there was a thread here with pics of a lot of HW kos, including this one, but I couldn't find it again. It's the same scale of other happywell figure, the combiner is about 25 cm (tf leader scale)

14. SMOG

Cool, I've never seen this one. I only had the red-box versions, where FuuRyu was molded in grey instead of green.

I have the Takara versions too (well, Sonokong) and they're great toys, even if the combiners are really bricks.

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  15. DarkSkull

News Credits:
    It would be nice if HW, which I see still produces some of its historical KOs (macross valkyries and roadbots) since they are easily found on Aliexpress and Taobao, also reprinted this series...

16. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros Well-Known Member

If you're nervous at all about chemicals, I'd stay far, far away from buffing wheels. Far easier to screw up and permanently destroy the plastic.

My approach to those is 91% and a melamine foam pad (such as Mr. Clean, but I buy bulk generic packs for five bucks on Amazon, lol). Gentle rubbing with the foam pad lightly soaked in alcohol works wonders. On matte plastic the result is damn near perfect, but it can cause some surface abrasion that will dull a glossy plastic finish. I find the cheap nail buffing blocks with four different sides/grits that you can buy in drug stores work beautifully for restoring the finish.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  17. SMOG

I always customize while lightly soaked in alcohol.

That's a good tip about the nail-buffing blocks! I have noticed that removing tampos can definitely dull the finish on the plastic. :thumb 

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  18. robotmel

robotmel *All must transform*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use a product called Silvo Metal Polish Tarnish Guard, a small tin of soft wadding which is usually used for polishing Silver but works wonders on removing tampos and paint apps fairly well IMO.
    71KnBda6EfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    :) 

• Like Like x 4
  19. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

I also lightly soak myself in alcohol whenever i'm messing with toys

• Like Like x 2
  20. SMOG

Sometimes required. :) 

z