The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I'm so glad I could help :)  ! To be fair all I did was point to it. Can't wait to see your progress!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Are you doing a custom decal sheet, or are we talking additional modifications as well?

z

3. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I believe its a decal set.

4. SMOG

I'm still staring at that custom, trying to figure out how much of it is just paint, or if there's actually any alteration made to the base figure. It's pretty slick.

z

5. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    It's beautiful! If @The Happenin Rhinoceros can give some decals for the shoulders, shins , and crotch area i'd be happy. Quite frankly I am really surprised nobody thought to do this till now. Sure there was Reprolabel stuff but that just mimicked the toy stickers which quite frankly looked out of place.

You have all these large smooth flat surfaces to work with. Slap a decal on here and there and you now gain a level of surface detail.

6. DarkSkull

DarkSkull Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  7. genfuyung

genfuyung Well-Known Member

8. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros TEAM MONKEY PANTS FOREVER

Let us know when you get it. I'm holding off until I hear if it's better than the atrocious Angel Engine (Arcee) I picked up a while back. That thing was a train wreck.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    I got my Evil Voice. It's much better than Angel Engine. It's oversized compared to the original and does not have awful metallic paint that flakes off when you look at it. I'd have been very happy to pay only $30 for it.

Edit: I just saw the rumor about a voyager Prime Soundwave being released next year by Hasbro. Prime Arcee, Knockout, and Bulkhead are also rumored. Between that and the recent reissue of Breakdown, APC is going to have to dig deeper for possible releases. Someone showed an enhanced design for an Airachnid, so we may see something come from that soon.

• Like Like x 4
  10. The Happenin Rhinoceros

That's good to hear. I skipped on Prime, but bought the APC Megatron and absolutely loved it. Solid, nice joints and the plastic feels pretty great with a beautiful silver sheen. I'm not sure what happened with Arcee, but I got this floppy little ragdoll thing with the awful flaky paint issues you mentioned. It really felt like they neglected to put any kind of clear coat on it after the blue candy coat. And the tolerances were so far off on the ball joints I doubt any amount of clear acrylic coating would have helped it.

I hope Hasbro can put out a better Prime Arcee since that show's version of her is absolutely one of my favorite TFs. Right now I've got the R.E.D. figure on my shelf and hate that it's ten times more acceptable to me than the Angel Engine was, lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. SirToys

SirToys OS Multicolor KO

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Here's a size comparison pic from last year.

IMG20201002103806_Shinkalion_Combiner_Voyager.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. SMOG

I really like the OS Volcanicus set. The quality feels wonderful on them, and the little bits of added diecast weight lends them a touch of class.

But from a toon-vs-toy perspective, you may want to do some touch-ups. Swoop will still be the blue-chest version, and the sides of Snarl's wings that face forward are a grey plastic instead of gold.

Another hint is that the OS Grimlock is HUGE... but the normal Hasbro or 1:1 version of POTP Grimlock matches scale with the oversized team just about perfectly, if you want a Dinobot crew who are all roughly the same height like in G1. That's how I have mine displayed, and I suspect that might have been the designer's intention (based on the scaling, and the fact that the connector joints have been kept at the standard CW size for compatibility).

You may also find Volcanicus has a bit of trouble supporting his increased weight -- if you plan to combine them. I prefer displaying them as Dinobots, and after combining once out of curiosity, threw the combiner parts in a box and forgot about them. :) 

As for the SS86 Dinobots... so far it's just a matter of colour. I did a bit of repainting on my Slag to be more toy-accurate, and he looks pretty great, and it's a pretty solid figure. Obviously the main allure there is in the leader-class scaling. The OSKO set is upscaled, but still just voyagers.

z

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  13. SMOG

LOL...yeah, it'll be a weird Volcanicus :lol 

I'm sort of mixed on dino scale. I either like them all the same-ish in size (traditional) or I'd want Sludge to be the biggest, Grimlock second-largest, and Swoop smallest (so approximately dinosaur-scaled).

But it sounds like this set is pretty much perfectly scaled for your preferences (mixed with the red variant official Swoop). That said, I was rather surprised by just how robust the OSKO Grimlock was when I got it.

z

• Like Like x 2
  14. The Happenin Rhinoceros

I'm excited for you! Welcome to the "No-thanks-on-toon-accuracy" club, lol

I have the multicolored one and feel the same. The plastic is very nice quality and those diecast parts are nice and in all the right places. Paint apps are also very well done. Nothing feels flimsy, nothing has poor tolerances...individually, they're all pretty much perfect except for a minor combiner gripe and a minor Grimlock gripe (see below).

That's the absolute truth, as the combined mode is the only gripe I have at all with the set. For me, it's mostly the arms. The parts of Grimlock that form the combiner ports don't want to stay in place with the weight of the diecast in the arms pulling them down. Those are pretty much the only areas where I have a tolerance issue, as mine won't really tab into place...although I suspect that even if they did the weight would eventually prove too much for it.

A weird Volcanicus which I really want to see, lol

I'd like to see somebody intentionally create a set where they are in scale to each other as real dinosaurs would be. I'd love to see descending sizes of: Sludge, Grimlock, Slag, Snarl, and Swoop

He is pretty great. I can't speak for the G1 colored version, but mine had an issue with the robot elbows (dino knees). They look like they should be ratcheted, but have nothing there—although I'm told the Hasbro ones have no ratchet either. I could live with that, except that mine were so loose that if you picked him up his little dino legs swung freely with movement. It looked hilarious, but obvioulsy wouldn't support his weight or allow robot mode to hold a weapon. Fortunately, the pins are easy to remove and a bit of clear coat on the inside of the joint worked wonders. So it's an easily solvable complaint if it happens to you.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Anybody know a reputable US seller that has:

KO BW Optimus Primal
    KO BW Dinobot
    KO BW Megatron
    KO MP-44
    KO Unique Toys Dragoon

16. The Happenin Rhinoceros

US sites don't sell KOs. You might get one from a private seller on eBay, but you'll likely pay a fairly high premium for it.

Your best bet would be a reputable CN site like ShowZ, Bababobo00712, TerryTFsClub, TfSafari, etc

• Like Like x 5
  17. SMOG

The few, the proud, the old... :lol 

I confess I have one (possibly unfounded) concern about this set... and that's the gold plastic used for some of the key parts. I've been tempted on a couple of occasions to buy a multicolour set, and use them to replace the gold plastic bits (but repainted gold instead). Maybe I'm being paranoid, but as a long-time collector, I've had some run-ins with GPS that are kind of a bummer.

Yeah, and to be fair a lot of my issues with this set are carried over from the original designs, like the Volcanicus mode generally. It's probably my least favourite of all the CW-style combiners... except maybe the Starscream/Elita-as-torso combos. Maybe.

Hey, he's already funny looking... why not wildly asymmetrical too? :) 

I'm surprised this hasn't really been done, at least not with the G1 team (though they did with their IDW counterparts, I recall). Of course, if you wanted to skew them more towards a generalized scale, I suppose you could pick and choose which dinosaur types to work with... like, use a slightly smaller diplodocid as the model for Sludge so he's not crazy big, and so on...

I found it funny how many of the first wave of 3rd Party Dinobot sets made Swoop weirdly huge for some reason. I think Swoop is the second largest in the G-Creations set, and plenty big in the Toyworld and Fansprojects versions, as I recall...

That's a drag! No ratchets on mine either, but the arms aren't loose (though they're not super-tight either, but at least the dino mode can stand).

Again, my only real complaint about Grimlock is inherent in the original design. His dino mode is pretty... um... compromised. I think the combining feature really led Hasbro to make some unfortunate choices with this figure... which is why we get those stumpy little legs and that weird misshapen tail... which keeps me from digging it as much as I'd like to. That said, this OSKO version has such a nice, rugged presence in-hand, it's hard not to love him.

z

• Like Like x 2
  18. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Looks like MP-32 is finally getting a reissue, talk about great timing!

19. christ_bluebus

christ_bluebus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Guys, how are you? Has anyone seen these guys for sale and could you send me a link please? Thank you very much!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

News Credits:
    Seems like Shunqirun, the Chinese company that make these, deal only in bulk export outside China. They could show up at your local toy stores, not sure about online retailers.

I've seen the brand come up on South East Asian and Russian retail sites, but not for these specific figures. One guy from Budapest in this thread also found another figure from this brand in his local shop. So who knows?

I found this China website that distributes toys overseas:
    ESSA.CN - Toys & Baby items purchasing online,direct purchase from China

Shunqirun is one of the many cheap toy brands on their website:
    ShunQiRun - Brand Zone -Find quality Factories,Manufacturers, Suppliers from China

There's the product page for the OSKO CW Aerialbots and Brawls:
    robot set(2) Transformation Solid color【English Packaging】essa.cn

At the bottom of the page, there's a Quotation Record column, not sure what that is, but it lists Ukraine and Moldova. Maybe it got exported to those countries.

There's also a video for these guys in the product page.

Direct Video Link: https://oss.essa.cn/6ef3eaca-bb0c-48d7-b17d-2229c5cc67ed.mp4

Video 1.JPG

OSKO Siege Hound/Hotshot and Bayverse Ratchet:

robot set(2) Transformation Solid color【English Packaging】essa.cn

Direct Video Link: https://oss.essa.cn/41586341-7f3f-4d8a-a2d9-0ca81bc17155.mp4

Video 2.JPG

• Like Like x 6