The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

I think I was mistaken.the one is was thinking was Daca toys Kronos, but b it might be a different mold

2. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros TEAM MONKEY PANTS FOREVER

Top of her head is at 6.5 inches

Must be luck of the draw. Fusion cannon peg on my Aoyi Megatron is very tight, no issues here.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  3. Kung Fu Roo

Kung Fu Roo Well-Known Member

No worries, maybe you ran across some at one point. lake88 said "There was a rumored imitation KO ("factory stock" you see on taobao) years ago but I don't think it ever made it to market. It was like 60 SGD/AUD?"

Theres just certain stuff they never KO, i swear its a inside con game, this 3rd party/KO racket. FT stuff, Gigapower, MP 09 etc. I have the OS KO of MP 8 which was only 40 bucks. I would love some cheap simplified KO gigapowers to complete the dinobots. Not paying hundreds for that wish. A KO company would make a killing.... but it just makes too much sense..

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Well, I hope you don't get a lemon! You never know with KO stuff!

The Sideswipe/Red Alert mold shows its age. It feels more hollow that most of the MP cars that followed... but it's still a pretty decent rendition of the characters. The vehicle mode can be a bit of a sloppy fit on the KOs (and on the officials, based on some pics I've seen), but not a dealbreaker for me.

I have the Megatrons and the Primes from BPF and AOYI, and in both cases, I found the joints and weapon pegs were much looser on both Megatrons compared to the Primes from the same companies. From this, I just sort of assumed that the Megatron mold is less forgiving to upscale. Not like "flopping/falling all over the place" loose... but a bit of nail polish definitely helped.

z

5. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Wonder if it's an early vs. Later run kind of thing. My Aoyi Megatron has pretty solid joints. Ratchets are very tight, elbows and the like are VERY stiff. Knees are looser than the rest but still hold in posing just fine. I actually have to twist the fusion cannon back and forth to get it out, lol. I wonder if there were some running production changes.

6. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:

Well for MP44 I got it from SHOWZ Store, they are supposed to be pretty good with defects and replacement parts .

As for the lambos, I'm sure they will atleast clear the bar of WFC Lambo bros. If they are better tyan those, I'm happy.

7. SMOG

The looseness in the 2 OSKO Siege Megatron figures was definitely more in the lower body (hips, knees, ankles), but also the weapon pegs for sure. Maybe they tightened up some of the tolerances between runs? Or maybe the overall QC is just more prone to inconsistency? Anyway, they still hold poses, but it's the difference bertween "solid enough" and "rock solid" like the Primes.

Those OSKO Siege Sideswipes are not terrible at the MP scale either... though obviously waaaaay more simplified than actual MP figures.

I haven't quite sold myself on MP44 yet (or a KO version). I think the flat cartoon styling mixed with the small fiddly panels and joints are part of what keeps me away. Silver pants would help... but I'm still on the fence.

z

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  8. Kung Fu Roo

Im on the fence about MP 44 too. IDK what it is. Maybe in my childs mind hes not that slim and the chest isnt as boxy, resulting in more square windows instead of them being more rectangular.

TBH my fav prime is my G1 KO. I know someone on this site made a custom one that had full articulation. I wish someone would do a retail version of that.

9. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Yeah, just the knees on mine and they fall into the "still good enough" range. The rest of the joints are definitely rock solid on my copy.

Not unheard of. I remember a host of complaints I saw from early runs of the MP-20 KO (no gaps in the slats on the back, paint issues, shoulder pieces popping out) which were subsequently fixed and the later versions ended up being spectacular. Or I just got f***ing lucky...who knows?

I admit that I'm not a huge Red Alert fan, so I have the Aoyi OSKO of the Siege mold. It doesn't look bad at all on my MP shelf.

10. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah the fact it was on sale was what pushed me off the fence. Quite frankly if I could take mp10 and give it the articulation mp44 I would probably prefer that. People say MSX is an MP10 replacement, but its a bit plain on surface details. I'll let you know my thoughts when he gets in.

11. SMOG

Yeah, I have a soft spot for that boxy, ape-armed, parts-forming old G1 Prime too... I still have my childhood original in reasonable condition. For me the old toys and box-art convey more nostalgia to me, because they were on the shelves about a year before the cartoons appeared on TV, and that's how I bonded with them.

I just like more of that authentic toy-style vehicle grit on my TFs in general, and MP44 is way too smooth and toony. I also find the current Takara engineering style of "simple plain surfaces broken up by a million small joints to create the illusion of simplicity" is slightly irksome. I'd rather those points of folding up / extra articulation felt like part of the robot's integral design, rather than a bunch of seams and rivets we're supposed to pretend we don't see. But that's just a pitfall of trying to copy the animation models exactly.

A small tangent here... am I the ONLY person in this forum who doesn't have an indexical memory of exactly what MP # corresponds to which character? hahaha

Every time someone says "MP-16" or "MP-32" I have to go and google whatever the hell figure that actually is. Surely there are other people who don't memorize this stuff! :lol 

I'm not a big Red Alert fan either... he's my least favourite of the Diaclone Autobots, and it may be as superficial as me always finding his compound name too awkward, or thinking a fire-chief lambo is just too ridiculous. In any case, the Aoyi OSKO Siege version works as a kind of MP stand-in, but as a personal preference, I feel like he's too beefy, especially compared to Sideswipe (who is canonically more of a ruffian). If one of them should look bigger, I feel like it's Sideswipe.

It's true, the articulation of MP44 is probably the most alluring quality for me. MP10 with the elongated shins of MPP10 and MP10v, and improved articulation would be amazing.

Sorry, which one is MSX?

z

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah I agree. So I like the more Mech look IDW, Bumblebee movie etc. But given the pound for pound quality to price of these KO MPs I'm willing to take some cartooniness. Although I will say MP44 is about as cartoon as I go. MP Ironhide was too much, but he is one of favs so I grabbed him and he is objectively a great figure.

MSX is Magic Square X (X for metallic paint job, shrug). He is considered an MP10 upgraded, BUT lacks the cool surface detail of MP10.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Well, if I cared about "canonical" anything, I'd have empty shelves or only the meager offerings of a small handful of companies. If you're one of those people that needs to go through ridiculous mental gymnastics to develop "head canon" to justify a toy purchase, then consider that RA is still a Cybertronian alt mode, so he simply hasn't adopted a sleeker terrestrial mode yet. Fresh off the boat, but he's workin' on it :lol 

I hear that. I miss the Hasui era MPs like the MP-11 seekers and the Fairlady boys. They looked more like a real world representation inspired by the cartoon. I personally think Iron Hide and Ratchet struck a sweet spot between that and the toon look. If they'd continued that route, it might have appeased all sides longer. This garbage like the MP Hound having knows sticking off his limbs because cracked out animators couldn't draw wheels makes me want to puke. If other fandoms were like this, all Marvel Legends figures of characters created by Rob Liefeld would have heads coming out of their shoulders, lol

I think you'll feel the same way about MS as you did about Ironhide. I went with Transform Element for trailer compatibility and because I don't mind prime looking a little more toon (it just makes me hear Peter Cullen in my head, which is fine by me!) So it worked here. Of course, I gave him extra toy details like the silver stripe and repainted the spare head as the G1 Marvel look, lol.

Anyway, I recently got a Magic Square in the Nemesis deco and he is a pretty sweet figure. Absolute aces in every category and a whole lot of fun to pose and play around with. I think you'll enjoy it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Got my MP seekers, 10 years they still look great.

Yeah I love my Prowl he is one of my favs...... obviously.

Yeah dont get me wrong all the MP Optimus offerings looked great, but it was about finding what was the best fit for me. If MSX had more surface detail it would have been it no question.

Yeah, the MP Ironhide is a great figure, I just wish it had more surface detail on the legs and shoulders. Got any sticker set recommendations for the old timer?

I would love some detail work like this
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  15. Kung Fu Roo

that ironhide looks sweet. are those custom labels with paint? or all paint? looks like a foil job around the windows, could be paint though

16. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    I have no idea but i want it

17. The Happenin Rhinoceros

That is a custom job, looks like a combo of paint and maybe custom labels.

I want to use that as a basis for some custom decals, though...I'll share here when I get some traction on the project. And by "share" I mean share print files and DIY instructions.

Still unpacking in the new house, but I REALLY want to take a crack at this on my MP-27. And yes, now I'm deliberately flaunting knowledge of MP number designations to fuck with @SMOG, lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kung Fu Roo

Those details make this pop. I always liked the tfc ironwill look better over the base MP version because of molding details but too bad it was too short. That Xel version is just next level sweetness

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    You are a great person.

Yeah because the MP Ironhide is an awesome figure he just needs more detailing. Hopefully @The Happenin Rhinoceros can help us with that :D .

20. Ulster Magnus

Ulster Magnus Active Member

Blender based on Batter Splatter from Series 1.5

024.jpg 025.jpg