The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. bakerjin

bakerjin Well-Known Member

Funny thing is that even without the accents, there are a lot of regional variations in propriety and word usage. My wife is Taiwanese and her parents have lived in Guangzhou for the last 10 years, so when we lived in northeast China for 4 years, the locals would always remark on my wife's Mandarin. Even when my in-laws would visit and try to use more of a mainline dialect, the Guangzhou usage is obviously far different than dongbei. Plus in the area I lived (Yanji), we had about a 50/50 mix of Han Chinese and Korean Chinese, who also had incredibly different accents. I'm Korean, and I always found both the Chinese accent and Korean accent of Korean-Chinese so fascinating - they speak Korean in a more sing-song way that sounds like they are trying to use tones similar to Mandarin in Korean, which has no tones normally. I loved it!

When I took Chinese lessons, I found out there were a lot of words that my wife taught me that were improper to use in dongbei region - like certain words that would refer to someone as a young woman or waitress in Taiwan would be construed as prostitute in the Northeast. Or certain ways of asking "Can I .... " were normal in Taiwan for both men and women, but only used by women in Northeast, so I was told if I use that word usage, I would be implying to others that I was either gay or wanted to be effeminate. I love learning these types of differences, as long as I learn them in the classroom instead of getting in trouble by using them improperly in practice haha. Heck, we commonly call tapioca milk tea "boba nai cha" in the US, but when I first visited Taiwan, I was given a lot of angry looks when I asked for it - my friend had to tell me that people really only used it as slang for boobs instead of tapioca pearls....

• Like Like x 2
  2. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The accent from Taiwan is too soft to my like while the Dongbei accent is too rough on the other hand, they are both quite different than China's official Mandarin . If the reviewer were talking like that, I should be able to tell the difference pretty easy.

Lots of Chinese word changes the meaning in the past 20 years. For example: "someone as a young woman or waitress in Taiwan" (小姐) when I was young, it was polite to address lady like that, now it became prostitute.

Or "同志", it means comrade, thus a very common word in communist part country like China. Somehow in the past 20 years the meaning change to gay.

And among the words "boba nai cha", it's "boba" (波霸)causing problem, this word is from Cantonese, meaning biggest boobs. So it's something past from Hongkong to Taiwan.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm thinking about getting some Combiner Wars KOs, what's out there? What's good? What's bad?

4. KveTar

KveTar Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Maybe you have any ideas where to get Eness sticker set for that trailer?

5. jdaext97

jdaext97 Well-Known Member

32 CM SENTINEL PRIME

34babf773912b31b81399d939118367adbb4e1ee.jpg 962465f082025aafbc502e71ecedab64024f1ae4.jpg e3385dfbfbedab641f3b1d7ae036afc378311ef1.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  6. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That Sentinel seems nicely Decorated & 30cm is a nice size - not to small or to huge.
    I'll strongly consider that one.

------

Fun little fact about Translations - if you have ever wondered why so many car names are nonsense words - it's because sometimes they were having trouble with the name sounding like something rude in another language so they pick a name that has no meaning in any language to avoid that.... though naming it after something safe sometimes works too.

7. Fc203

Fc203 #RestoreTheBayVerse

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Anyone know where i can get the ko undersized cw devastator?

8. Enfin

Enfin Destron

9. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

That's apparently the origin of the Kodak camera company's name. The word "Kodak" was invented because it had no meaning in any other major language.

Others can speak in more detail on this, but the CBB line of standard-size KO Combiner Wars figures are not bad. I have some of the figures from their multicolour sets, and they are very good. Plastic doesn't feel too cheap, decent joints, etc. The one exception I've found in that line are the Protectobots, specifically the box set in the Takara colours. The plastic is rather soft, and they don't feel great.

Also, the slightly oversized POTP Dinobot (by BM) and Terrorcon (by BPF) sets are both really excellent, and in both of these sets, the CW connector pegs have been kept at a standard size, so they are still compatible with normal CW (and ko) figures.

Other than that, there are a ton of cheap KOs from CW... usually with simplified parts, slight size differences, or non-functioning combining pegs. You probably want to avoid most of those.

This is based on the Studio Series version? Hmmm... 32cm is still pretty big, but the paint looks better than the old DOTM Leader. I'm not crazy about most Bayformer designs, but Sentinel's design always felt stylish and different.

z

• Like Like x 4
  10. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

News Credits:
    OSKO Terrorcons by AOYI, which is also related/part of (?) Black Mamba.

BPF made the 1:1 KO POTP Dinobots. Don't have those but reviews seem fine.

11. Jim1981

Jim1981 Well-Known Member

Depends on the region though. In the north it is still common to use xiaojie en Tongzhi.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SMOG

Wha--? I thought they were BPF. I didn't think they were Aoyi like the OS Siege stuff. Ugh, hard to keep it straight these days.

Sirtoys had the OSKO Dinobots listed as "BM"... and it makes sense that they would be from the same company, since the upscaling is about the same.

z

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bakarina

Bakarina Well-Known Member

14. TrapKami

TrapKami Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    The first is a KO version of the 2007 leader, with some improvements, (the original was already full of gimmicks), although, for me it still looks like a robot ninja turtle, the second is the KO OS version of the SS,also with certain improvements compared to the original mold, and I think it's more movie-accurate than the first.

• Like Like x 2
  15. mikeax24

mikeax24 Seeker of Knockoffs, Collector of recolors

ARMORHIDE WHERE DID YOU GET THESE

16. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros TEAM MONKEY PANTS FOREVER

Recent acquisitions:
    20210812_201320.jpg
    20210907_202050.jpg
    20210907_202215.jpg

Quick thoughts on these:
    Wei Jiang Hide Shadow: What a BEAST. I hate the Bay movies, but I've started a minor addiction to the toys and this is maybe one of my pinnacles. Big, heavy, great joints and tolerances...I'm so glad I sprang for this guy. The add-on bottom panel for vehicle mode with the diorama inside isn't anything I have use for outside of alt mode, but I appreciate the effort nonetheless.

Aoyi Siege Megatron: Nice size for the price, great joints and tolerances. However, the plastic feels hard and cheap like it will break easily if stressed too much.

Ultra Dino Force Raptor: I love these guys. This is the third I bought out of four and it's still a fun figure (deep breath...bought one to repaint/sculpt as a Slash but messed it up, bought another to finish the custom, bought a third to have an unaltered version to go with the rest of the UDF figs, and a fourth because the third was the v2 gold one and I didn't care for it...PHEW).

KO Firage: Sweet finish, nice figure overall. The hips on mine are a bit loose, but were easily cured with a quick clear acrylic coating. Alt mode looks absolutely bitchin'.

OSKO Steelbane: Cool looking bot mode, but the alt mode looks like hot garbage. If you like the mold already, this is a nice size upgrade for a CHUG collection. Quality is very good, my issues are mainly with the original mold.

Whatever that other Megatron thing is on the left: Seriously, I have no idea what the hell it is. Looked different so I picked it up. Hard, fragile plastic (must be a Megs thing), decent joint tolerances. Feels cheap but looks kind of fun. Pretty good posability.

Brachiosaurus guy: Nice plastic feel, fun to play with. Some really stiff ratchets in the hips and shoulders. Kind of cute dino-puppy alt mode look. I'm seriously considering buying the rest of the set for fun. He's surprisingly solidly built and pretty cool.

OSKO Windblade: I picked it up with the intent of repainting it and sculpting a new head, but after messing around with it I doubt I'll bother. Joints are stiff, but the plastic feels pretty cheap and the articulation is limited.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  17. SMOG

I hear ya on this. I have a soft spot for Blackout too. :thumb 
    In the case of this figure, I think the plastic is mixed... some of it has a nice tough soft-ish ABS feeling, and the rest of it is thick enough that it doesn't feel like it matters if it's too hard/brittle. When it comes to the range for KOs, this isn't what I'd call "cheap plastic" but I get what you mean.
    I have this too, and I agree about the alt-mode... though that bot mode is pretty badass. I can't decide whether to give it a kickass repaint, or just re-sell it. :) 
    I have this one too... does yours not have the diecast metal on the chest? This is another example where the plastic feels cheap, but is still probably very tough. The design is a bit cartoony, but sort of interesting too. The alt-mode is strangely appealing. I guess this is Megatronus (the proto-Megatron archetype). I want to do something with this, but I still haven't come up with a good custom character idea.
    Slipstream custom fodder? :) 

I have one of these on the way. I'm not expecting much, but I had a notion to alter the design a bit. We'll see if I bother once I have it in hand. Those easter eggs on the chest need to go for sure. :lol 

z

• Like Like x 1
  18. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros TEAM MONKEY PANTS FOREVER

YMMV, perhaps? It feels pretty hard and flimsy on my copy. Definitely not what I expect from Aoyi. They aren't always the best, but my experience is that their figures have never felt outright cheap to me until this one. There's an in-hand feel to a bad plastic that I can't properly describe and this just hits that feel for me.

Yeah, it's weird as hell and that's part of why I like it. Despite the cheap feel, I still dig the look.

It does (my bad, forgot to call that out), but if anything that makes some of the lightweight plastic feel even more flimsy and precarious. I'll likely keep messing with him as a desk bot during boring meetings because he's pretty fun, so we'll see how he holds up, I suppose. If not, hell...it was only $12 :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

News Credits:
    From a department store in Singapore. If you are interested to read and see more of these, I have posts spanning the previous 5 pages, starting from page 2491.

• Like Like x 1
  20. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both, in hand WJ Brawl feels like a much better toy while BMB version can pose better.