The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    It wouldn't surprise me. The TFP Megatron and Optimus look like they may be upsized from their Cyberverse commander class toys. I think the G1 Megatron is the evergreen mold. I'm surprised these look as good as they do with that much upscaling. Maybe this company will do the OSKOs of the Iron Factory DJD so many of us have been wanting.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Soundwave27

Soundwave27 Decepticon

News Credits:
    Honestly, I'm not very interested in Windblade, but I'm very interested in OS Slipstream.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DarkSkull

DarkSkull Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately you do not ship to Italy, although I and others have often asked you to review your shipping policy (without ever receiving an answer)...

4. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
  5. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

If you're comparing the BMB Dinobots to the original Hasbro versions, then they certainly are better than the originals... as individual bots. However, the combined Volcanicus version felt sort of floppy to me. I hate that combined mode anyway, so I didn't try very hard.

I haven't noticed any risk areas on my Siege Mirage, but I wasn't happy about it being 50% clear plastic. The whole practice of making Mirage in clear blue plastic is idiotic. Either he's invisible or he's not. Geez! :/

What parts of Springer are clear plastic??

z

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I am a fan of the combined mode, and I've found, at least on my copy/ies the additional upscaling and die-cast parts seem to have stabilised Volcanicus, the legs having some weight seems to help with the top-heaviness of the torso that the official has.
    Unfortunately the combiner pegs themselves are a bit too hard/brittle a plastic, my KO Slag/ug's snapped on decombining, though I've fixed it with a slightly longer/wider replacement screw it's got no ratchet, at least they still can combine though.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

Its mainly for the novelty of a dinosaur combiner, so I don't mind if I can just get him in a good pose. Is this shoulder set up possible? looks a lot more stable and less gangly than the regular set up but I've not seen that many peeps using it for the BMB lot

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    That looks like it'd be a woefully weak set-up, it seems to me that, once again at least on my copy/ies, the official combiner chest configuration actually locks together in place better than on the official.
    Also a slight sidenote that the IF armour piece used on the extended Slag/ug won't fit on the BMB version as the ports are upscaled to 6-7mm.

• Like Like x 2
  9. robotmel

robotmel *All must transform*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :) 
    @Convoy
    I have a set of the oversized BMB combining Dinobots, all like new and ready to be added to my sales thread if you're interested? ;) 
    Each one comes with a large transparent red sword and a gun/blaster.
    I've never combined them but have the combiner hands and feet to go with the set.

let me know via PM if you're keen? ;) :p :cool: 

• Like Like x 2
  10. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

why do you say that? Is it less secure than the regular set up?
    [​IMG]

11. SMOG

Ah! I think you could also replace part of the combiner peg with one from another Combiner Wars figure. The BMB Dinobots have had their pegs adjusted to match the normal scale CW figures (same as the OS Terrorcons).

Yeah, I'm not sure about that, since mine stay uncombined... but I'm sure someone here has tried it!

z

12. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Yes, There's no rotational lock on the fanmode you posted, and I don't fancy the joints holding up to those unlocked stresses long-term even if just posed statically like that.
    When I looked into doing that, I found that that compatibility at a components level has been overstated, the peg heads may be swappable but the actual rotating core (the inner strut of which is what had snapped, annoyingly if the screw into it had been 5mm or so longer it might have survived intact, as the screw stops about that much short of the screwhole it had snapped at the hollow section just where the screw came to) part is not.
    Also that reminds me I got the blue Slag/ug for a full weapon set, and to attempt a repair but on disassembly found that the G1 colours set actually has a better/more substantial inner core screwport/post/tube, the PR colours version is worryingly skinnier, and was a weaker rotation joint than my homebrew improvised repair!
    Caveat that, of course, that is what I experienced on my copies but it does seem that the G1 colours set may mostly have better, revised & improved pegs. Just shave down the retracting stop tabs on GrimlocKO's legs/arms/combiner shoulders to avoid my troubles (they're way too long on a minimal scale, and snagging Slag/ug's peg on one of 'em is how the snapping occurred).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Convoy

Convoy 90's Robot

Oh I see! That makes sense. Thanks, very useful info

14. SMOG

Interesting. This is the first I've heard of running changes / mold differences between the multicolour set and the G1 deco version (though these are not particularly obvious). The multicolour version was actually the first to be released, so I guess the G1 deco received improvements.

z

• Like Like x 2
  15. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I'd guess maybe a lot of people haven't gotten figures from both sets to dissect for repairs to see the revision of an internal part but it does seem so, it was quite a surprise to me in both a positive "I wouldn't expect that diligence from a KO Company" but also mildly frustrating on the "Bugger, that joint's no better than my bodge fixed limb" overall BMB went up in my estimation - they may not be the tidiest most finished figures (lots of flash/sprue snagging to do across the KO Dinos) but they're pretty good, solid build quality for KOs. Just a shame they couldn't use the more flexible/durable plastic on the cores that Hasbro did on official CW Limbs (or have had screws that bit longer in 'em!).

16. SMOG

Agreed. The plastic on this set doesn't feel bad at all, but it feels "harder" than Hasbro plastic, and it always seemed like it might be more brittle when put under stress. A lot of KOs seem to be made of similar-feeling plastic. Otherwise, they're pretty great, especially considering how little I paid for them compared to the much smaller Hasbro versions.

z

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blackhand

Blackhand Well-Known Member

The Knock off transformers thread

:) 

Though this re-release may differ (for example. they may get rid of die cast).

The backpack part with cockpit - look underneath. It may be not noticeable at first sight since there's lots of paint on this part.

In case of Mirage - these four clear pegs that go into white part (fake torso) worry me - it's tight fit, I suspect at some point clear tabs will start snapping off.

18. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not really feeling this one, but if they'd make a Voyager-sized KO of the T30 figure, and rework it somehow to have better balance in robot mode (maybe use diecast for the feet and lower legs or something?) I'd be all over that!

Seeing an Iron Factory OSKO does give me hope that eventually someone might make a Voyager or Leader-sized Cygnus KO, though.

• Like Like x 3
  19. SMOG

Oh, yeah... there it is. One chunk of clear plastic, minor load-bearing hinges. Hrmm.

The tabs seem short enough they should be okay on Mirage. I have plenty of old bots where the clear plastic is still holding up. I guess it just depends on the quality of the plastic they used. Knock wood. :/

z

20. Soundwave27

Soundwave27 Decepticon

News Credits:
    If Leader-sized Cygnus comes out, it will replace my Siege Jetfire. Siege Jetfire is perfect, but it's too big. T30 JF doesn't go well with WFC, X2 Toys JF has a strange head, and Mechaform JF is the perfect trash. If Leader-sized Cygnus exists, there are no disadvantages mentioned above.

• Like Like x 1