The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Nice! Still got my BPF Megs, Mags, and Optimus on the way. Can’t wait for these bigger (more in scale) beauties to come in.

Although I am DESPERATE for more oversized Siege stuff. I am surprised there has not been more shown or ready to go.

What is taking them so long?! I need my Voyager sized Siege Ironhide, Chromia, Impactor, and leader Astrotrain.

Every time (“I look into a monitor”) and see this thread bumped up I check with enthusiasm only to be disappointed of no new Siege oversized updates.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Magnus is 95% great. He's just a little bit bigger than the original, but the longer legs make a difference. The build is very sturdy, with no battle damage deco, and the diecast adds a nice sense of heft. My one complaint is that one of the thigh mushroom pegs that connects to the hip joint is slightly malformed. This means that when I rotate the thigh, the leg pops off really easily. Not sure if others have this issue, or if it's just mine.

Sirtoys and Aliexpress are probably the best places to look. I'd recommend any of the KO Combiner Wars teams made by CBB except the Protectobots, which feel very cheap for some reason.

The BPF oversized POTP Terrorcons and the oversized POTP Dinobot teams are also both really good as individual bots. They're still compatible with normal CW figures because their combiner pegs are the standard size instead of upsized, but I do find they're a bit floppier than the normal-sized combiners because the larger limbs are heavier.

This is a pretty busy thread... you must be constantly disappointed. :lol 

z

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros TEAM MONKEY PANTS FOREVER

Congrats, you've nailed what bothers me. If you're reviewing something, you owe people the truth. Intentionally exaggerating/lying to drive sales to your favorite retailer is pure bullshit.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatoSamurai

GatoSamurai Well-Known Member

OMG What happened to MP Sunstreaker KO?? I was delaying its buy so long and now that I decided to get it the prices have rocketed :eek: 

5. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

Wait for next batch to be released. According to one Taobao seller I spoke to, around April to May.

• Like Like x 1
  6. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    He creates all the engine ears *groan*

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Just got this lot in
    20210419_112436.jpg

First up, the green Warpath and blue Powerglide are overall solid choices. The Warpath is fun, but the plastic feels a little hard and cheap (but not horrible). However, since I paid under $5 for him he's pretty great. I also love the alt mode as it look more like a mobile artillery unit than a tank.

The Powerglide feels nice and sturdy, plastic quality is excellent and the joints are all nice and tight. For the same price as the Warpath, this guy was a STEAL. I bought it to hopefully replace my official Viper repaint since it's a train wreck, so I'm delighted that this one is superior in every single way. A couple of COBRA logos and he'll be perfect.

The Bumblebee did not impress me. It looked fun so I threw it in my Ali cart, but I regret it. The plastic feels pretty cheap...the hard and ready to crack kind. Tolerances for tabs in the transformation are awful and nothing quite snaps together right without forcing it to the point I feel I'll break something. On top of all that, the guy is just too damn big to really fit on anywhere in my collection.

20210417_160125.jpg

I'm absolutely adoring the black vehicle combiner set. It 100% scratches the Gobot itch I've been having. Smaller, simpler transformations, but very Gobot like in their presentation. The plastic here also feels a little cheap, but there is a good chunk of diecast on each and it is much better quality than I expected for $28 (after shipping costs). I have not tried combining it yet, but I'm going to give that a shot this afternoon.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Hougangkid

You have the link for the combiner set? And curious to see your photos of it.

9. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Oh it’s brutal :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  10. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Here you go:
    https://m.aliexpress.com/item/10050...e_home.allProducts_604987683.1005001516734647

Combined mode is definitely a Gobot-era charmer, lol. Articulation is limited to rotating forward and backward at the shoulders, elbow bend, and forward/back and side to side on the hips, although without a knee bend the last three are mostly useless. It won't pose dynamically, but does stand pretty solidly upright.

20210419_145200.jpg

20210419_145207.jpg

20210419_145717.jpg

The back is also surprisingly clean.
    20210419_145745.jpg

The car that becomes the upper torso and head also transforms to combined mode a hell of a lot like Lightspeed from the Weijiang Calculation King set, right down to the arms sticking up from the back.

20210419_145217.jpg

Overall, pretty good for the cash, but the combined form is more novelty than functional. I'd still recommend it, but (disclaimer) I intend to have them separated as little desk bots to mess around with at work. If combined modes are important to you, I'd look critically at the info I posted above!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  11. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Doesn't that version also come with metal versions of the swords? The regular plastic versions are also longer/larger than the 3P version of this figure, but they fit in the hands easily. I donated them to the black and red KO of the 3P figure. It really completes the look. The version you shared above I use for his footsoldier.

12. Hougangkid

Thanks for the pics, these look like CW size, i.e. deluxe size bots and 28cm gestalts. Can you confirm that?

Do they also come individually packed like this:

515901302.jpg

13. SMOG

I don't think the swords were actually metal on mine, though they do feel unusually heavy.

14. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Then they probably came with the red and black version then. Regardless, the larger ones in the naff version you've/we've got are great.

15. SMOG

Yup. Probably the best thing about the set! :) 

z

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Happenin Rhinoceros

No, this version has plastic swords. Very nice swords, though.

I can't speak to the packaging because they came without. Definitely smaller than the main line combiner, more old-school Gobot sized. The smaller bots are around 10cm, the taller ones are around 12. I don't have it combined at the moment, but I think the combined size is around 22cm. The 28 listed in the product descriptions seems like a boilerplate somebody stuck in there. I see a lot of combiners on Ali listed as 28cm that are larger or smaller.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hougangkid

Sounds like they make good fiddle bots.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SMOG

I apologize for not having my own pictures, but I just wanted to share this...

I've owned this guy for a while now, but he's been my "desk robot" for the last week (something to fiddle with during long teleconferencing meetings and such), and I gotta say... this pterodactyl dude is a fricking great figure!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's a good size, all the major joints are "soft" ratchets, the articulation is great (though a waist twist would be nice), and the style of the sculpt is actually quite badass.

Transformation is simple but effective. Not to disparage Paul's photo skills, but the dino-mode looks way better in-hand than it does here, and has an impressive (and poseable) wingspan.

The wings are made of a softer plastic, but I kind of like that in this case. The rest of the plastic is quite decent and the QC on mine is good. The deco is rather high-contrast... very white and very intense popsicle orange... but he somehow pulls it off.

The line (according to Sirtoys) is Jia Qi Dino Force. I missed out on the other 2 figures in the set, so I don't know if they measure up.

Just figured I'd share since I'm enjoying this figure so much this week. :thumb 

z

• Like Like x 4
  19. The Happenin Rhinoceros

I reviewed the yellow T-Rex a while back...its a mixed bag. Doesn't feel cheap, per se, but not fantastic. Great articulation in bot mode but crap articulation in dino mode. Not horrible, but for the price point I'd recommend the Utra Dino Force bots over it any day.

I admit, I have been eyeballing yours on Ali. I have no interest in the Triceratops, but the bot mode of the pterasaur looks pretty slick.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. SMOG

Yeah, exactly... the Triceratops looks lame. Uninspired transformation, and the proportions aren't fantastic in either mode. The yellow "Rex Prince" looked a bit questionable in dino mode, but sort of cool in robot mode. But definitely the Ptera seemed like the best one (which is why I bought it on a whim before the others).

The Ptera doesn't feel like a super-classy high-quality toy, but at the same time, there's almost literally nothing wrong with it. It's tough, looks good in both modes, holds poses, has a ton of articulation, and dual-wields robo-katanas. It's pretty sweet.

z