The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I don't think the swords were actually metal on mine, though they do feel unusually heavy.

2. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Then they probably came with the red and black version then. Regardless, the larger ones in the naff version you've/we've got are great.

3. SMOG

Yup. Probably the best thing about the set! :) 

z

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros TEAM MONKEY PANTS FOREVER

No, this version has plastic swords. Very nice swords, though.

I can't speak to the packaging because they came without. Definitely smaller than the main line combiner, more old-school Gobot sized. The smaller bots are around 10cm, the taller ones are around 12. I don't have it combined at the moment, but I think the combined size is around 22cm. The 28 listed in the product descriptions seems like a boilerplate somebody stuck in there. I see a lot of combiners on Ali listed as 28cm that are larger or smaller.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

News Credits:
    Sounds like they make good fiddle bots.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SMOG

I apologize for not having my own pictures, but I just wanted to share this...

I've owned this guy for a while now, but he's been my "desk robot" for the last week (something to fiddle with during long teleconferencing meetings and such), and I gotta say... this pterodactyl dude is a fricking great figure!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's a good size, all the major joints are "soft" ratchets, the articulation is great (though a waist twist would be nice), and the style of the sculpt is actually quite badass.

Transformation is simple but effective. Not to disparage Paul's photo skills, but the dino-mode looks way better in-hand than it does here, and has an impressive (and poseable) wingspan.

The wings are made of a softer plastic, but I kind of like that in this case. The rest of the plastic is quite decent and the QC on mine is good. The deco is rather high-contrast... very white and very intense popsicle orange... but he somehow pulls it off.

The line (according to Sirtoys) is Jia Qi Dino Force. I missed out on the other 2 figures in the set, so I don't know if they measure up.

Just figured I'd share since I'm enjoying this figure so much this week. :thumb 

z

• Like Like x 4
  7. The Happenin Rhinoceros

I reviewed the yellow T-Rex a while back...its a mixed bag. Doesn't feel cheap, per se, but not fantastic. Great articulation in bot mode but crap articulation in dino mode. Not horrible, but for the price point I'd recommend the Utra Dino Force bots over it any day.

I admit, I have been eyeballing yours on Ali. I have no interest in the Triceratops, but the bot mode of the pterasaur looks pretty slick.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SMOG

Yeah, exactly... the Triceratops looks lame. Uninspired transformation, and the proportions aren't fantastic in either mode. The yellow "Rex Prince" looked a bit questionable in dino mode, but sort of cool in robot mode. But definitely the Ptera seemed like the best one (which is why I bought it on a whim before the others).

The Ptera doesn't feel like a super-classy high-quality toy, but at the same time, there's almost literally nothing wrong with it. It's tough, looks good in both modes, holds poses, has a ton of articulation, and dual-wields robo-katanas. It's pretty sweet.

z

9. Bakarina

Bakarina Unapologetic Megatron Fangirl

Guess I've been lucky up to this point, but had my very first issue with a KO sadly. My first Datsun brother. =(

[​IMG]

10. SMOG

Ouch! Did it come like that?

You might be able to fix that

z

11. Bakarina

I contacted the seller and he offered to send a replacement door, but the door itself is fine. I think it's that threaded screw hole thing on the car that is damaged. Is that replaceable/fixable?

12. The Happenin Rhinoceros

It is, but you'll have to fill the hole and redrill it.

13. Bakarina

blah I guess it's a just a loss. I don't have a drill that tiny or the expertise to do these big KO fixes that a lot of people around here can. Nor is it really worth it shipping it back to China at my own expense, both ways, for what is a 33 dollar figure.

14. SMOG

That's bad luck! I haven't seen a Datsun with that breakage before.

You might not even need to fill it. You might be able to find a small screw of the right width that could replace the pin, and use that to re-attach the door. It probably wouldn't be as strong, but it might be good enough for display and casual handling. It looks like there's a crack in the post for the pin, but you might be able to stabilize that with glue, or a thin layer of tape even.

I wouldn't give up on it if there's a chance it could be mostly fixed with some light repair work. :) 

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Happenin Rhinoceros

My bad, I went by the post saying it was a threaded screw and didn't realize it was a flat pin. You could easily slip a drop of epoxy or something into the hole, clamp that break together and reinsert the pin. That wouldn't take much.

16. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    Man, I always dread the days I have to glue, sand, dremel and re-pin... especially when that day requires 3 different glue sessions because the previous times cracked - didn't dremel enough.

Awesome update though, of the dozen or so times I completed those surgeries, not one final-glue procedure has yet failed.

I slightly melt the outside areas with actual flame afterwards to literally "seal the deal" and mold into normal constraints.

The things we do for our toys. :confused: 

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bakarina

I don't have any of that. But maybe I can fuse the cracked plastic back together with some tamiya glue I use on model kits.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

News Credits:
    I've had no issues with my 3 KO Datsun bros transforming multiple times, but now I'm paranoid about whether I should be more careful with the doors in the future. Did that break on first transformation?

19. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looking for some help here I want to fill out my missing G1 holes with the KO's where is the best place to get this high quality KO's.

I need:
    • Hound
    • Smokescreen
    • Blitzwing
    • Shockwave
    • Cliffjumper
    • Wincharger
    • Brawn

This is what I can currently think of

20. Bakarina

Yep. And to clarify, the door itself is fine. It is the part of the car it's attached to that broke.