The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Blackhand

Blackhand Well-Known Member

After a week in quarantine* I've unboxed mine, first impression is "It's amazing". My thoughts on this mold, to put it very politely, aren't very positive. But BPF, after a bit disappointing Megatron and Prime (I guess I was unlucky with these two), proved that "three times makes a charm". So far my only gripe are feet and blue part of chest piece - these really could use some additional coats of paint. Other than that - I'm impressed (so far). Feet can be set in straight position (I bet this will improve the look of the back of the vehicle mode). There are quite a few gap fillers - aside from thighs and "smokestacks", I see these on black guns and shoulder missiles. The chest piece (blue part) and the feet are diecast. Joints on the legs are properly tight (watch and learn, Hasbro), hips and knees can support the weight of the leg with armor. He can easily hold his gun with black guns attached - no drooping on shoulder or elbow joints. He's 21cm to the tip of the antennas (23 to the tip of the shoulder "smokestacks") in armored mode, pretty much the height of PotP leader Rodimus Unicronus (siege seeker barely reaches to the Magnus' elbow).
    I didn't transform him so far, so can't say much about vehicle mode or core bot :) .

* sitting in the dark, damp corner of the basement **
    ** not really, just sealed in the plastic bag.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup...he's amazing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  3. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Got this badboy in the mail today. Overall VERY Happy with what I got vs the price asked. I mean this is virtually a steal (yeah its a ko so we are stealing already shut up I dont care). I rush transformed him, hence the panels not aligning too much. I believe the photos dont do him justice at all. There is really something evil that oozes out of this son of a b@@@.

The price in fact was what got me to get him, as I am not a movie aficionado (there is only one movie and it aired in 86 :p  ). But that thing rocks!

Now need to find a sword to scale and a trailer to paint.

IMG_20200928_170012.jpg IMG_20200928_173110.jpg IMG_20200928_173117.jpg IMG_20200928_173127.jpg
    IMG_20200928_165452.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  4. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros TEAM MONKEY PANTS FOREVER

The first five minutes of Bumblebee are better than ever Bayverse film put together. Unlike Bay, Travis Knight is a big G1 fan.

That looks sharp in the Nemesis deco. I like it!

• Like Like x 8
  5. pilot00

Agreed to the 5 minutes, dont agree to the Travis bit, and Ill explain on the danger of perhaps derailing the thread:

Travis himself might be a fan and all, but there are two ways to see this:

1)Either he is a fan and made only those 5 min segments

or

2)He didnt give a fuck, his name was used in order to create a marketing ploy with that 5 min clip alongside that tear drenched letter, and a fake promise to the fandom and Knight didnt direct anything.

At any rate, this design is the answer to "G1 desgins dont translate to the modern era well".

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Happenin Rhinoceros

You actually have to look at it a little differently and understand that he tried to get it as G1 as possible while Paramount was forcing him to tie it into the Bay films. The Cybertron scenes were his last-minute addition once they decided to let the Bayverse connection drop a bit. I have no doubt if he'd been given free rein on a true reboot, it would have been very different. Read some interviews with the guy, he's passionate about G1.

Back to the KO topic, why is it every time I ship a SirToys order I immediately find another crazy awesome cheap Chinese piece of robot junk I want? It ain't right, I tell ya...

• Like Like x 5
  7. pilot00

Personally I dont believe such things as holding any value...I.E. publicity/marketing stands. Not that what you say may not be true but still...

THEY ARE ALL OUT TO GET US I TELL YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! :lol :lol 

Yeah I am a little bit...forgot the word, how do they call it?

Same here with almost everything. They do it on purpose I tell you!

• Like Like x 2
  8. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Um...paranoid? Lol

There was an awesome interview where he basically said he realized what kind of idiots Paramount had running the project when they thought Ravage was a dog. His venom toward their lack of understanding of the source material was quite funny.

No doubt. That "Latest" section is my mortal enemy.

• Like Like x 3
  9. bakerjin

bakerjin Well-Known Member

That's why I always put stuff on hold and wait a few weeks to see if there's anything else I want to include in my shipment. Though my current hold order is approaching its weight limit, lol. I'm just waiting for Jinbao NA seekers now then off we go!
    I'm bummed there's been no reviews on the Lepin Soundwave set, as it's pretty pricey for a blind purchase. I'll probably wait until there are some reviews, since I haven't even built my Lepin Optimus set yet.

• Like Like x 2
  10. pilot00

No no, not paranoid....Cant remember the damned word...When you have trust issues, because the aforementioned party has given you reason not to believe them. Honestly when I read that letter, I wanted to vomit, instantly writing him off. First five minutes in the film me and a friend of mine, from excitement were holding hands eyes agape and we were about to scream like little girls. Then the rest of the film followed and....the rest is history.

If what you say its true (and I see no reason why it shouldnt be), then I am really happy to err on this :) 

• Like Like x 1
  11. Papasmurfsalot

Papasmurfsalot Member

OK, thanks. I have Sunsurge, but had thought about picking up a KO just to check him out. I think I'll hold off now. Appreciate the info.

12. The Happenin Rhinoceros

I had the hold order for a long time and I finally decided to ship it. I always hold as long as I can because I know I will find something else as soon as I ship. I had to ship this one because I have a custom I'm working on requiring parts form one of the items in the order. Sure enough...this week I find more stuff I want.

I have the Lepin Soundwave in my shipped order. I'll see if I can get around to building it sooner rather than later to let you know how it is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Anybody know what batteries the APC Dark Master/Megatron cannon takes? The instructions...are not helpful

EDIT: Found it in the thread for APC Dark Master. LR41 or 384/392

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  14. pilot00

What scale is that thing?

15. The Happenin Rhinoceros

He stands around 8in/20cm tall.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thalyn

Thalyn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @The Happenin Rhinoceros Op.EX arrived today. So that makes it just two weeks from order to reception from Baba, which is pretty damned sweet. Will have to keep that in mind going forward.

As to the figure, it seems my suspicions about him feeling hollow were completely unfounded, just as you expected. Very solid to hold. If I'm being critical than his forearms don't grip as well as I'd like (I may be able to do something about that), a few of his joints are perhaps a tad loose, his chest doesn't seem to like staying tabbed in (is it meant to?), and there's a couple of sprue marks which could have been better handled. Otherwise it definitely makes me regret not getting it sooner, and also missing out on Tyrant if my perception was just as wrong about him (which seems very likely).

Also amazed at how premium the box felt. Very thick card with a pleasant texture, and nicely done foam insert. Maybe that's normal for GT but as this is my first figure from them it stood out as something very above-and-beyond, which is always appreciated (except it means I can't flatten the box for easier storage).

Kudos for the recommendation. Now I just need room to get him on display!

• Like Like x 2
  17. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Thalyn

Thalyn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's the one! Only with a few more shelves. A lot more shelves. Too many shelves.

Seriously, I've probably got at least two, maybe three dozen figures still sitting in their boxes and another half-dozen still in transit. Granted I already have at least that many on display (how I managed to fit them I've no idea) it's still depressing that they can't really show off their full glory at the moment. It almost feels wasteful since someone else could have been more actively enjoying them, but hopefully it'll get better before too long.

At least every single one of them has been opened and handled at least once. Plus I dig into the pile every now and then (which is wonderfully awkward) to have another look.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CannonBlaster

CannonBlaster Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    My KOs. 8DB872F3-B515-4227-917D-C472EC6CCAF6.jpeg RID Side Burn and Prowl E9019089-71F6-4DE3-9B39-BC20F080080D.jpeg Robot Masters Prime and Mirage 83DD6427-BC48-49EE-B8BF-3403F983AF03.jpeg THF Frenzy

• Like Like x 4
  20. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    We can't really get spare rooms bigger than the one in that video in Japan. I used to have an extra detolf, but my flatmate took it from me when they moved out. Also, shelves/bookcases are a no-no, due to earthquakes.

• Like Like x 2