The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    I think we all have quite different, and differently sensitive, colour senses, for me it's subtle but definite enough that it would niggle me aesthetically.

2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    If you're looking to do this V I wouldn't let a negligible difference in the shade of red stop me if I were you. Altough I think it was reported that YMMV when it comes to the shade of red each red Defensor ko is molded in.
    The greatest drawback IMO are the subpar tolerances for red Defensor ko figures. Although there too, YMMV.
    DSC_0065.JPG DSC_0066.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  3. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Well another factor is I already went to the effort of swapping out the grey combiner chest peg for a red one on my Ironhide, so I'm kinda loath to lose the effort already put in. Plus I was looking for a quick, lazy custom, rather than something more involved (which it would be for me especially on the repainting front to get Ironhide on my preferred spec for him).

• Like Like x 1
  4. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

Just buy a second Ironhide! It'll cost the same as getting a KO from China.

5. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I haven't even dared to swap out the combiner pegs. Maybe I should take a look at whether I can do it.

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

It's... just okay. They are absolutely lighter, cheaper, and softer, with weaker joints and worse tolerances than the officials. They look decent, but they're a couple of notches below some of the nice KO versions we've been getting in recent years.

If you didn't like the official then you'll definitely hate this set. I'm not sure about the legit CW version feeling like a "cheap KO"... seems like either an exaggeration, or you've lost your memory of what actual cheap KOs felt like. :wink: 

But even I was disappointed with the CBB UW Defensor set.

Me too. I didn't mean to say that the shoulder joints are ratcheted, but rather that they have more than sufficient tension to hold any poses or lift objects, so I'm good with that. I think that goes for both the shoulder joints, in fact... rotation and outward motion. At least, on the two sets that I have.

I don't think he'd be that hard to disassemble, but you'd still be looking at some pin-removal if you wanted to completely separate all the parts. The construction is basically the same as the official in that respect. If you have a decent pin-punch, I think the only thing that would actually be more or less impossible to disconnect would be the knees from the calves. That's a flat-head rivet, so you wouldn't be able to punch it.

I think he would make a pretty good Swindle. In fact, I feel like this figure evokes many other characters more than Hound.

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  7. SMOG

I recall having this same issue. The shield seems not to have a place.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'd also like to hear it. :) 

Otherwise, I quite love this set. It's too bad they spend most of their time as Superion, because I like handling the individual figures too, especially Silverbolt (who's a real monster). I suppose Zeta Toys has a solution for that issue... :lol 

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    That's still somewhat counterintuitive to what I would be aiming for, I was hoping to be able to do a quick, cheeky conversion from flat bed to enclosed cab conversion on my Ironhide. I had of corse forgotten about the different door/pauldrons and forearm shapes too, D'oh!
    Watch out for the cheeky right pec screw, I nearly missed it myself!
    Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 16.37.51.png

• Like Like x 2
  9. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Oh! It's a Prime Ironhide? Great work :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Sorta G1/Prime Mash-up as there's no good way to give him the "proper" windshield chest I was happy with.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Official Wreck Gar reminded me of he sort of product quality of a medium quality KO (something like they used to sell on KO toys) as it was so floppy it was almost a rag doll. I kinda barely even consider that issue an issue any more having to NOT pull something to pieces or vanish everything with in an inch of it's life to get it to stand up straight is now what i'd consider "a nice surprise" instead of an oddity.

I was especially disgusted though at the sheer expense/vs quality issues with Official modern Diaclone vs KO diaclone as frankly the KO's are better.

12. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I know what you mean. I'm no hero with paint. I used a silver sharpie on the side windows, but I'm gonna see what I can do with a reprolabels CW Ironhide set. Mainly for the yellow stripe, but maybe I can use some of the stickers to give him better windows in alt and bot mode.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blackhand

Blackhand Well-Known Member

I guess I have to watch some video reviews, maybe someone covered this issue :) . Out of other issues, I'm trying to figure out how to pull out the combined mode head without damaging anything (so far this gap just below red piece on chest looks promising, but I'm not going to stick knife/screwdriver there and I'm lacking any other "tools" that are thin enough), but I have some time before that knowledge would be useful (Airraid and Skydive are still on their way).
    Did you have trouble sliding out these red parts on the chest? It seems I'm doing something incorrectly, I had to use more force than I'm comfortable with to snap base of the robot mode head into place in robot mode.

14. SMOG

You mean the Takara Dia-Battles line? I haven't picked up any of those... too pricey! The quality is not good?

It feels like I've been mostly fortunately with my official CHUG-style purchases over the last several years. Occasionally I'll get one with an annoying loose joint or something, but aside from the general simplicity and hollowness we expect now, they're not bad.

The one bad exception is the elbows on my offical CW Blades, where the clips that hold the elbow broke. This is because I dared to swap the parts with my Alpha Bravo, and apparently the tolerances are not exactly the same and it strained the joint. :/

Also, my TR Sixshot is a mess of loose joints. With the emphasis on pins for joint construction now instead of screws, when you DO get a loose knee or whatever, it's basically impossible to tighten.

At least with ball-joints, even if we've been getting figures will loose joints since the Cybertron line back in 2005 (and all those Bayformers), a bit of nail polish tightens them up good.

zmog

No, it's the same on mine. I know what you mean. You need to exert a fair bit of force (evenly distributed) to get those red chest sections fully apart. It's one of the things on this set that makes me cringe a little bit every time, but so far it's remained intact and seemingly durable, so I don't hesitate as much as I did the first few times.

zmog

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2020
  15. Kamen Rider Decade

Kamen Rider Decade A Passing-Through Kamen Rider...

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That sucks...but it still fares better than my CW Blades. Y'know the slots on his butt where the tabs on the back half of his shins go when transforming to vehicle mode or leg mode? Well, with my copy of Blades, those slots actually ARE NOT done properly. As a result, those tabs can't get in there...meaning the only transformation Blades can ever do...is an arm.

You mean the Cool Become Brave KO? I got the Hotspot & Deluxe Groove. Groove loses the clear red plastic on his guns (for the lightbars), as one gun is solid black and the other solid gray. The joints are nice and tight, but the hand/foot/gun is the wrong one (they gave him the one that goes to the Breakdown mold), which is pretty funny to me. Hotspot is clearly the UW colors and not the CW (nice), but, I had to clip away some excess flashing that was blocking off the Combiner port for the left arm. The plastic doesn't feel that nice - definitely feels cheaper or softer than my legit CW Onslaught - and yet the joints are tight...scarily, stubbornly tight. Despite that, I think that it was well worth it.

Something I noticed is that the folks behind Cool Become Brave only went Takara colors with Defensor. Superion & Bruticus seem to be the Hasbro colors and layouts (Alpha Bravo instead of Slingshot, jet Blastoff instead of shuttle Blastoff).

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2020
  16. Blackhand

Blackhand Well-Known Member

I suspect it's mould flaw, I have the same on my CW Vortex. Oddly, all my 1:1 KOs (Blades, Alpha Bravo, Blades from Red Defensor, Alpha Bravo and Vortex from Skittles combiners), os WJ Blades and Alpha Bravo are free of this issue.

EDIT There's one issue with Hot Spot/Onslaught from CBB and multicolor sets - knees are misassembled, so can't be locked properly in robot mode.

Seems like our figures are flawed - I've just watched Ben's video and on his figure the gun fits into Silverbolt's hand without issues :( .

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Well, that is definitely an option for official stuff. Personally, I ignore the existance of Nova storm and just use Sunstorm as the third rainmaker: makes more sense from a name perspective (all the rainmakers are called -storm and none of the welcoming seekers) and also more sense from an abilities perspective (all the rainmakers have special abilities and none of the welcoming seekers -- actually, Sunstorm would completely destroy what Hotlink and Bitstream would do due to being radio-active).

Thanks :thumb . Guess I abandon that option, since as I said, the offiical Hasbro First Aid already felt off to me. Not as bad as Titan Getaway (that didn't even feel worth its money at only 5 euro)

Don't buy KO's that much, but the few cheap KO's I got (G1 Aerialbots, an Armada Starscream, an OS RiD Wedge and a ridiculously OS G1 First Aid) all felt much better than CW First Aid. At least in the plastic department and feeling solid (not in the joints). But perhaps, "cheap KO" was bit of an exaggeration.

18. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

I've seen oversized KOs of Rotorstorm and Blight but did they ever make a full on Bruticus Maximus ko?

19. we_are_forest

we_are_forest I blame Powerglide

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    You got lucky on the NBK shoulders from the sounds of it; mine cannot support a pose and just drop.

Regarding Hound into Swindle - I kind of expected there to be pins in there. Never tried pin removal before but hey, we've all got to start somewhere haven't we? :) 

I've got an Alternator Swindle head that I wanted to try on him. Maybe that would be a bit too big?

I'd love them to do an OS Jeep Bumblebee as well so the same thing could be done to that in order to repurpose as Swindle.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    I've seen a ko of the red helicopter at Sirtoys. didn't know he was OS.

• Like Like x 1