The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. bakerjin

bakerjin Well-Known Member

Off topic, but is there any 1:1 KO of CW Devastator? I know CBB made an undersized one, but just wondering if a 1:1 exists like the BMB 1:1 KO of POTP Predaking.

2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    That would be a horrible idea on Hasbro's part. I hope that's not true.

3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    its not, friend of a friend type stuff usually turns out to be bullshit and also with scorponoks head being a deluxe sized figure, plus hasbro has intentionally scaled wfc figures to certain prime wars figures, scorponok will be closer to fort max size than omega supreme size

4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I sure hope so.
    Looking forward to him very much.
    I've wanted to buy the G1 version since I started collecting, but never did because he never was properly sized to any Fort Max.

I really hope the Earthrise aesthetic is here to stay.

• Like Like x 1
  5. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is no 1:1 ko CW Devastator.

The question isn't off topic at all. Also, the POTP Predakkng ko is made by Wei Jiang, not BMB.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Well, not all MP figures are created equal... that's for sure. But I think you're definitely better off going for one of the KOs... there's a small difference between how they "feel" but it's not likely something you'd even notice (or care about) unless you had a real one and a KO in-hand to compare.

I don't blame you for being cheap. I'm the same way, and Takara's price gouging over recent years is really just pushing me further and further away. All my early MP stuff is authentic, but now I always wait for the KO.

I do recommend the MP Shockwave KO. It's actually better than the Takara version, and it's pretty affordable (relatively speaking).

I really wouldn't be so sure of myself. I have doubts about anything that I hear thrown around as rumours on these forums, but at the same time, I've seen a lot of stuff play out in surprising (and sometimes disappointing) ways. Hasbro has definitely done some audacious remolds in the past, and it wouldn't be unexpected to see a lot of underlying structural similarities with Omega Supreme.

Though of course, it would require some pretty serious re-engineering, considering the hollow torso and rocket-arms.

Also, after they gave us a 2ft tall Metroplex and a relatively runty Typticon, so I don't have a strong expectation that they will deliver Scorponok scaled to Titan Fort Max (I mean, even G1 Fort Max and Scorponok didn't scale).

Was a Deluxe-sized headmaster confirmed for Scorpy? Kind of strange when you consider that G1 Scorponok worked the opposite way. He was only a normal-sized headmaster that transformed into... well... a teeny-tiny face, lodged inside an oversized noggin.

Maybe they're steering away from that, which I think would be good. But I've been in this game long enough not to discount anything. :wink: 

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  7. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    Very much confirmed John Warden had him out for SDCC!
    78a9f6fc505ba8811db99e64e67c537f.jpg

By the looks of things perhaps a shorter Deluxe than TR Max's Cerebros but Deluxe nonetheless, and from the speculative recolouring of the bit of his back we saw a pretty large proportioned face to boot.
    1573572770-scorponok-01.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  8. SMOG

Innnnnteresting. I'd forgotten about that. And that's him next to a Voyager (or whatever midgets they're classifying as voyagers these days), so that's a pretty firm confirmation on the deluxe size. Doesn't look like the head proportions will be too unusual either. Hmm.

Mind you, Omega has a pretty small head for his body, and most of the headmasters tend to have rather large heads, so I could still see this being similar in size to Omega.

zmog

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ultra Reverb

Ultra Reverb Well-Known Astro-Creep

News Credits:
    The Shattered Glass Prime is really something pretty cool and different, still just $99. After reading the comic, I really enjoy how brutal he is - worse than Megatron.
    Transformers Shattered Glass Optimus Prime | BigBadToyStore

• Like Like x 1
  10. bakerjin

Thank you very much! Oh you're right, I was confused since I just ordered BMB OS Volcanicus for my kids. I also have Weijiang Predaking coming and was hoping to get a Devastator in scale for my kids as well. Although I have the Jinbao OS Gravity Builder, it definitely isn't "kid friendly" and at least mine seems to be quite floppy compared to the simpler CW sets.

Are there any other KO Devys that might be suitable for kids 5+? I'll be helping them out too but even with my help I think the Jinbao set is too finicky for them. Perhaps I can look for an official CW Devastator but the Unite Warriors versions are $250+!

11. PC Brodimus

PC Brodimus Leader of the Sarcastatrons

Don't wan't to be a contrarian but i was never a fan of that paintjob. EVA optimus. Yech.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Fenrys

News Credits:
    yep as was posted a double headmaster has indeed been confirmed, and why make him a double headmaster unless you were trying to make him scale more or less appropriately with fort max? maybe he will be a bit shorter, maybe not, but their scaling omega supreme to devastator means they are cognizant that the rivals should be of similar size (especially since so many people complained about trypticon being shorter despite using about the same amount of materials).

• Like Like x 2
  13. itMFtis

News Credits:
    NBK Devastator is a smaller and simplified (not necessarily for worse in some cases) version of Gravity Builder. Plastic isn't shampoo bottle style, but it's not as sturdy as that POTP Predaking ko either.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blackhand

Blackhand Well-Known Member

Maybe NBK's KO of Gravity Builder? Not as simple as WJ Predaking, but at least quite cheap, so if kids break anything, it's not costly to get replacement :) .

Anyone knows if there is any chance to get KO of Generations Drift (KBB Power Slide) at reasonable price? It seems it's not available at AliE and it's sold out in most stores...
    And another question, anybody knows anything about Black Ant KO of War Giant? Judging by thread dedicated to this figure, it slipped into oblivion...

Got Aoyi KO of Siege Prime today, I'm impressed. Die cast seems to be present only on the toes, but that's ok. Knees are typical Aoyi knees (still not tight enough). I'm surprised, there are ratchets in shoulders and hips (though he can only stand straight or in quite wide A-stance). I've noticed tiny tab which helps to lock his chest (no more gap there, though BPF fixed this on their version too). He can hold WJ OS KO Hot Spot's gun though it's quite loose fit (little tip - grab one of these Chief Fire figures at SirToys for spare parts :)  ).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Fenrys

News Credits:
    nbk gravity builder is the same size as generation toy gravity builder as far as im aware, unless you meant its smaller than the titan devastator

16. itMFtis

News Credits:
    Yea he was talking about jinbao gb, so I meant smaller in comparison to that one. :) 

17. Fenrys

News Credits:
    ah gotcha, missed that :p 

18. SMOG

You'll find that a consistent scale is not so easy to achieve. WJ Predaking (which is the same size as the official, not oversized) is going to be quite a bit bigger than BMB Volcanicus. The BMB set is only upscaled by a relatively small amount... they aren't as big as WJ's oversized deluxe line, for example. That said, it's a great set. I never combine them, but individually the Dinobots feel great at the larger size.

I also have the JB Gravity Builder, and it's floppy as hell, isn't it? I'm finding that the effort of combining them just isn't worth the end result... although I really like the beefiness of each individual Constructicon.

I guess the JB set isn't a true "gestalt" (following the definition of gestalt as a "whole that is greater than the sum of its parts") :lol 

If you're looking for individual Constructicons at around voyager size, there's not much. For the age range you're looking for, I think the Hasbro original CW Devastator is really probably the best option. They're not too fussy, and they're quite durable in all modes. And the Hasbro version should be cheaper than the Takara at least.

The NBK Devastator is going to feel small next to WJ Predaking. Also, while I quite like the NBK set, I think it's probably too delicate for more rugged play. Not to say that they're junk, but that they're complex enough that there are a lot of small possible breakage points.

For your needs, THIS seems like it might be the best mix of size, complexity, durability, and price.
    Constructicons Hercules OS - 3rd Party - SirToys.com

It might still be a bit too small, and a bit TOO simplified for your tastes, but it looks like it might fit the bill otherwise. I don't own this set, but I was kind of tempted to get one. Not to be confused with the original legends-size, or the other, smaller OS version...

I'm with you. I don't really care about Shattered Glass stuff, but sometimes it's interesting to see iconic Decepticon decos on Autobot characters, and vice-versa.

But SG Optimus is somehow still the WORST, stupidest, ugliest Optimus variant of them all.

I think that part of the problem is that they just went too big with Metroplex/Fort Max. I mean, obviously, they wanted to make a splash, and they are impressive figures. But they set a standard that is hard to maintain, especially with the extremely rapid inflation on pricing since Metroplex came out.

I still find Omega a little bit big next to CW Devastator, but close enough. I don't actually believe them when they say Trypticon uses the same amount of materials. He's way more hollow than Metroplex even.

I sort of wish there were some Metroplex thigh-replacers on the market... to make him a bit SHORTER. He's so long in the leg, I feel like he might look a bit better with stockier legs... and a bit closer to Trypticon, of course. :) 

I had to go check... I was sure he had more diecast in his hips, but I guess I was thinking of the BPF version. The figure is so weighty, it seems like there should be more metal than there is.

The knees on mine are really solid - I can hold him horizontally by one leg, at his ankle, so the entire weight of the figure is acting as torque against that knee, and it doesn't droop. I have to give it a shake to get any movement, which is pretty impressive.

I do love the sound of those ratchets elswhere. I've actually been really impressed with the range of poses I can get out of him by adjusting his stance, his waist twist, thigh/knee rotations, ankles, toes, etc... The knees also have a remarkably deep bend! Overall, it's a surprisingly articulated figure, despite being so blocky.

Funny thing... since I got the original Hasbro figure, I tend to intentionally open up the gap between his chest panels (similar to the old IDW version, with a distinct break in his 'pecs')... so I now really notice that Aoyi added that new tab. It actually breaks up the symmetrical aesthetic now! Darnit! :lol 

I also like the way you can drop the neckplate into the torso, giving him the option of looking down at stuff, or taking more "brooding" poses.

Can you tell I really enjoy handling this figure? :wink: 

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  19. bakerjin

Thanks so much for your detailed help! Oh yes, I was aware that BMB Volcanicus didn't scale and I'm 100% OK with that - I actually hate the combined mode and my kids just play with the dinobots as individual bots. As ugly as POTP Grimlock is, my kids don't know any better and love him, haha!

Sadly I don't have any official combiners, though I'm slowly plugging away at MMC Assaultus because I love the engineering required to do an all-in-one. But I do have Jinbao Warbotron and Gravity Builder as my more complicated combiners, but I've been disappointed by their combined mode. Much floppier than what video reviewers seem to say (though Warbotron isn't too bad, GB is way too floppy even with upgrade kit).

My kids generally play with the Weijiang Computron and CBB CW OS Defensor and love them, even though they are a lot simpler and plain looking compared to the JinBao variants. They hold together much better and are really solid! Although my younger 3 year old has already broken Blades and First Aid several times, they're pretty easy to fix. He did lose a couple wheels though and the limbs keep popping off... haha

I recently purchased Weijiang KO POTP Predaking and JJ Jet Commander as they seem like a good mix of the large but floppy Jinbao vs simpler but sturdier CW combiners. I'm hoping to play with them with the kids this weekend, so that's why I was curious about what Devastator options exist. Never knew about this Hercules KO so thanks for pointing me to him. I'll read up on him and see if it's something my kids might like :) 

20. SMOG

I agree... but also, there's something about his much beefier BMB incarnation that makes me enjoy the figure a lot more. It's like he just works better at the larger scale, in spite of all his flaws. You may see what I mean, once they arrive.

And yeah, Volcanicus is an ugly mess. I combined this set once just to say that I did, but no plans to ever bother with that again.

Yes, it's very frustrating with the JB Devastator. He's so heavy and so hard to handle safely. And while the Warbotron designs are very cool (I have the original and the multicolour KO), they also have so many distinct design flaws or annoyances, that I look at them as a necessary failure on the road to a better Bruticus. Assaultus looks really cool, but too rich for my blood right now.

I will say that in terms of combined modes... the Hasbro Devastator is really good in terms of feeling sturdy, and Hasbro Predaking is hands down the best combiner I've handled. He is incredibly stable and holds poses amazingly well. Of course, the individual Predacons are a bit clunky, but it's hard to argue with the final result. The Weijiang version duplicates this very nicely. I hope you really like it.

Yeah, based as they are on the Hasbro versions, I guess they're designed to 'pop' before they break. :) 

I'm a big fan of the WJ OS Defensor (CBB is just the normal sized one, I believe), though it inherits some of the weakneses of the Hasbro version. The WJ Computron is a really interesting and surprising new mold. The combined mode does't feel dynamic, but it is surprisingly sturdy. I'm always impressed that something that looks so top-heavy never feels like it's going to fall over. And the individual bots are cool designs, and very tough also. I'm really curious to see if WJ can deliver another original figure on that level.

My only caveat about KO POTP Predaking is that WJ has used a lot more "harder" plastics. The original has some 'softer' plastics that I suspect will hold up to stress better in the long run, while the WJ plastic might be more brittle (especially the gold plastic joints).

JJ Jet Commander is a really cool figure. Despite his simple styling and copied elements from CW Superion, I'd be careful with all the little folding wings. Those feel like places where small plastic hinges could break. Everything else about it is delightfully chunky and robust. Combined, he's -almost- as sturdy and poseable as Predaking. Have fun! :thumb 

zmog

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1