The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Yes. She played his mother, didn't she? I really don't remember much of it.

2. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

She did, she has a natural talent for being fucking hilarious.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ultra Reverb

Ultra Reverb Well-Known Astro-Creep

News Credits:
    Always! Scorch the earth!

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Hm. Kind of disappointing for $20. Oh well. I have this and the BPF version coming soon, so I guess I'll decide when I get them which I'll keep... maybe neither.

If there's one thing we can be reasonably sure about, it's that KO Optimus Primes are going to keep getting pumped out in all shapes and sizes. :) 

I could see this happening. And I'd welcome it (if it's not grotesquely expensive). But it doesn't excuse Hasbro in the first place.

This.

We already knew he could use it as a shield or connect it to his back. It's right in the video. His fists literally hold the back on in vehicle mode. I mean, I guess it's cool that Hoist can tow him, because the Earthrise line's big gimmick is... modular ramps?

But if you're trying to sell a fundamental aesthetic, spiritual, and functional break with the guiding premise of Transformers, ruining an otherwise good figure for the sake of... modular... ramps...

...well, I think we need to re-examine our priorities. :lol 

IT'S PARTS-FORMING!

It's a giant chunk of his alt-mode, a part that is necessary to make his alt mode look like ANYTHING, that needs to be removed and then put back on the figure. It doesn't matter if it becomes his backpack, or if he's carrying it around in his hands. It's prescribed parts-forming. That's literally what parts-forming IS.

The attempts to defend this design choice have been pretty weak. Are we trying to say that Hasbro could not find a way for Cliffjumper to transform while keeping all his parts attached... or for the backend of the car to be optionally removable for shield-action?

(which most people probably woudln't even do because it doesn't look that good, and doesn't seem to really fit Cliffjumper)

Or maybe this just wasn't possible in their budget... while selling a scout-sized figure for $30, in a very large, empty box? Right.

Nah, screw that. There are no valid reasons or excuses for this.

Don't waste my time with spurious arguments. I already said that I'm not a big fan of Brawn's shield, but I'm sure you know perfectly well it's not the same thing. I'm not interested in a disingenuous conversation over it.

Your point is a non-starter. You can give Legends Brawn to someone without the shield, and it still works 100% as a complete toy. You give someone a Cliffjumper without his "shield" and they'll say "Wtf is this broken toy?"

A modern TF has never -needed- to perfectly evoke its original alt-mode, obvs. Brawn's shield is a slightly annoying, unnecessary add-on. It improves the vehicle mode. That's about all it does.

Get to work on that Brawn first! :lol 

zmog

• Like Like x 3
  5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Too true. Kathy Bates is one of my favorite actresses.
    She's awesome in drama and comedy. She was hilarious in that Clinton parody movie too.

6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    does anyone have a side by side comparison of the machine boy osko of t30 bumblebee with the original t30 legends bumblebee? trying to figure out how the ko will size to the new cliffjumper

7. Blackhand

Blackhand Well-Known Member

@SMOG
    I guess it's better late than never ;) . Here's the pic of the "range" of turret rotation on BPF KO of Siege Megatron.

[​IMG]

I can't get more because base of the turret collides with crotch part. I suppose it's "design flaw", I doubt crotch is misassembled (more like molded incorrectly which probably means all figures are affected). As you know, loose pegs/tabs/joints are usually random things on KOs, so "your mileage may vary" (my favorite phrase, when I hear reviewer using it, he/she instantly loses all credibility in my eyes).

Speaking of partsforming, I'm mostly indifferent in that matter, though... I find it usually to be a proof of laziness/cutting costs/ineptitude/whatever, exceptions are cases where figure is meant to partsform (Overlord, Omega Supreme, combiners...). Funny thing nobody mentioned Siege leaders, these are blatant examples, especially Ultra Magnus and Galaxy Convoy, these two have versions (CW Magnus, original GC) which are proofs that it is possible to design these with decent both modes without fake parts and partsforming.
    Fortunately I'm done with WfC Trilogy, I shifted from "mildly annoyed" to "almost angered" by constant quality deterioration and pointless usage of clear plastic (Springer and Mirage are ticking time bombs, on the former part with cockpit is too involved in transformation while on the latter it seems to be under serious tension in vehicle mode) so I'm passing on Earthrise. From what I've seen so far, Prime is ok (he even can carry other bots in the trailer), but is quite skinny, front wheels transform oddly (and affect waist articulation, as far as I remember) and the wheels on trailer are quite odd. Hoist is hollow in bot mode (reminds me of PotP Tailgate, yuck) and has ugly back in vehicle mode (when ramp is folded up). I don't care about Cliffjumper (except he's ludicrously small for a deluxe, Hasbro keeps blurring borders between classes) and Ironworks (I was going to get this one but I no longer do so) is a bad joke - robot mode is fine, but he disassembles into few... bricks? And, like Thew would say, "transforms into nothing in particular" (yeah, I know, it's G1 accurate, give or take few parts, but did this oddity really need updated toy?).

• Like Like x 1
  8. SMOG

I find that turret rotation... acceptable.

Due to various factors, I've been on the fence on WFC Siege/Earthrise from the beginning. The scale reduction and price inflation really put me off, and so any further issues are just alienating me further.

That said, low-cost OSKO versions are welcome... especially if they improve on the original in some worthwhile way! :D 

Ultra Magnus and Galaxy Convoy get a vague pass on parts-forming from me. This is mainly because they still maintain the integrity of the core robot mode. It's still a full robot who transformes into a full truck... and the rest is just upgrade material. Second, Magnus is sort of a legacy design so there's a grandfather factor there. Cliffjumper definitely doesn't get to cite that defense.

But I won't lie... I prefer the way the original Magnus still keeps the trailer all in one chunk, rather than a bunch of stray armour bits. And of course, there's the CW version that doesn't separate the cab from the trailer at all.

zmog

9. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    If you mean the legends cybertronian looking bumblebee, here you go.

20180415_163008.jpg 20180415_163200.jpg 20180415_163608.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was going through a toy bin (mostly KO) and came across these 2 items. The barrel on the blue weapon swivels down back into the gun. The black gun has a swiveling part on the left with a peg on it.

Anyone know what they might go to?

20191213_161101.jpg

12. PC Brodimus

PC Brodimus Leader of the Sarcastatrons

Hi, me again, huge pain in the ass, i know. Has anyone dealt with the issue of the Aoyi BB Optimus little shin pegs not clipping in at all? If so, please offer insight. Thanks!

IMG_20191213_223542.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  13. PC Brodimus

PC Brodimus Leader of the Sarcastatrons

I think the purple one is from a Throttlebot KO.

14. SMOG

The blue gun is for a Toyworld Aurora (or maybe likely the oversized KO version).

The black gun is one of POTP Razorclaw's shoulder guns (that end up on Predaking's flanks). Might be from the WJ KO version, but I'm not sure.

zmog

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks! Both KOs were definitely in that bin at one point.

16. SirToys

SirToys OS Multicolor KO

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Rubber band gun with a Bumblebee face on the side :) 

IMG20191213090115_Bumblebee_Metal_Folding_Rubber_Band_Gun.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    321ECCA4-EBF9-4FC1-831F-575CAF0B0962.jpeg C1D48197-72F6-417C-A797-4AF25C09EC6E.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
  18. SMOG

• Like Like x 2
  19. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    I did it specifically for the red and black. I wish it had yellow waist and clear windows.

20. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2