The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Thalyn

Thalyn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The advert says "KO" in the title. It also mentions "Kubian" in the title, which is a known KO company. The pictured box has "COOLBECOMEBRAVE" and "KUBIAN" written on it, and the logo (both on the figure and the box) had only a passing similarity to a Decepticon insignia but clearly different. It's also listed at 13" tall, which is way too small for Combiner Wars Devastator. This is just the first picture - the second picture has the same incorrect insignia with "COOLCHANGE" written under it, and large, red letters spelling out "TAIKONGZHANS" clearly in view. Even the "Hasbro" logo (itself similar again but clearly different to the authentic) clearly doesn't say Hasbro, rather "SHoucang". And the fourth picture shows the back of the box, completely with KO Superion (not Devastator) bio where "he attacks ANIME MAN". And to top it off it calls out that it's coloured and detailed like the original, which immediately suggests it isn't an original.

By now your racially stereotyped scammer has told you that they're faking the accent, don't work for the company, don't even work for a scamming company, but they're going to scam you, spelled out how they plan to do it, and they've even confirmed if you need them to repeat any of it just in case it's still not clear. Honestly this is beyond natural selection at this point if you still "fall for it".

It's "hard to find" in the US because it's straight up stealing someone else's IP and designs and, despite the failings of the US patent, copyright and trademarking systems, they're still pretty involved in trying to stop that from being available; at least on the mainland.

Frankly, that's one of the most honest auction listings I've ever seen for a KO. It's at a stupid price, sure, but it's honest - and it's hardly the first listing at a stupid price, nor will it be the last.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    the title clearly states it as a ko. if people arent willing to read titles and descriptions then they shouldnt be buying off of ebay

• Like Like x 4
  3. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I was so blinded by all the other blatant, obvious indicators, that I didn't even notice that the description specifically states "KO" :lol 

zmog

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ultra Reverb

Ultra Reverb Well-Known Astro-Creep

News Credits:
    The seller might see the crazy pricing as a "convenience fee" as well. I've seen on here and other venues, that a lot of people are hesitant or unaware how to order from overseas.
    "Oh, hey guys, where can I get ____?"
    "Here ya go, $20 on Ali."
    "Ooo, no thanks. I only order from Amazon." :rolleyes: 
    The seller already absorbed the "risk" off getting it over here, and is ready to pass the savings on to you!:lol 

• Like Like x 2
  5. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    There are those, including myself, they not only avoid Ali, but also avoid Ebay too. I only use Amazon or dedicated sites like Sirtoys, etc.

6. Ultra Reverb

Ultra Reverb Well-Known Astro-Creep

News Credits:
    I like you Smog, I really really do. You're always so polite and chill and helpful with questions. It's such a juxtaposition to your partsforming views. I never would have expected you to turn into such a big green rage monster, over anything. It gave me a chuckle. (Not a sneering, dismissive chuckle... it just caught me by surprise. I like it. :lol ) No offense expressed or implied whatsoever.

Smog.gif

Hey, Big Guy - sun's gettin' real low... :) 

Edit: Whoop! Thought of another! Made with love, of course!

SmogII.gif

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  7. PC Brodimus

PC Brodimus Leader of the Sarcastatrons

It is finally freaking HERE. And Good Lord, that faithtoptalk "packing". I've literally had a sponge come in sturdier packing. Luckily the figure seems intact. I've yet to transform him, but he sure looks great! IMG_20191213_084347.jpg IMG_20191213_084403.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is a distinction between parts forming and an accessory.
    Brawn has an accessory (no different to a Sharkticon tail-whip).
    Cliffjumper is parts forming only if the part HAS to be removed to transform him. if it doesn't that is an accessory too.

I get a sense of mild embarassment about some Transformers fans sometimes - It almost makes me more sympathetic of Disney Star Wars fan's low opinion of Legacy Star Wars fans.

Let the Past Die kill it if you have to might do Transformers a fair bit of good as a brand.... or it would if Hasbro were not increasigly selling toys to adults while pretending to be a toy company for kids. I'm glad more people are buying Movie toys (and I don't give two figs about the Movies) I simply am glad to have SOMETHING than isn't an A-Team take on G1 over and over an over an over.

I don't want to be sold 1984 over and over for decades. Yet I see people complain that Triggerhappy isn't G1 enough to warrant an MP like 3rd party release when they have more Springers than they can shake a stick at.

Then add on top of that that Takara is soaking itself in cartoon nostalgia at the detriment of the toys (Inferno & Ironhide I am looking at you) it is like Transformers as a brand is stuck in a 1984/85 tar pit that it can't get out of.

The Brand High point was 2010 it's been mostly down hill since then.

• Like Like x 5
  9. SMOG

:lol 

I mean, if you're going to get angry about something... you might as well be cartoonishly over-the-top, right?

zmog

• Like Like x 2
  10. SMOG

I mean, I'd say I'm definitely some kind of Geewunner. Recapturing my enthusiasm for G1 stuff is really a big driving factor in my collecting.

My G1 definition is much bigger than slavish cartoon accuracy, though. I still have lots of other kinds of transforming robot toys. I still like cool stuff generally, even if it doesn't have a nostalgia tag. I can respect it when Hasbro does something different ... when it's good at least.

But as much as this Siege CJ looks the part, I just can't accept the idea that this kind of parts-forming nonsense might become more common with Hasbro stuuff. That's would be the real tragedy.

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Ultimately, this would be my concern. They do this now, and then get the idea they can just do this all the time. Maybe not every or even most times, but it becomes a viable option to them. And if we go by their track record, it won't be in a way that can be ignored, but something you have to do to get from one mode to the other.

I don't want them thinking this is acceptable, even if it's too late for CJ. Unless the toy is meant to partsform due to who it is (weaponizers, Omega, as discussed), engineer the damn things like it's 2020. No partsforming.

• Like Like x 2
  12. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Just got the Aoyi Mech OSKO Seige OP.

It's not that great. There is NO GUN with this version. It only comes with the axe, which fits fairly loosely in his hand. The hips seem to have friction joints (which feel like they are going to snap if you move the legs backwards) and the only metal parts I noticed were the toes. The dark blue is nice, but to be honest, I'm probably going to sell this one.

However, in the YouTube review by "Iichlute", he showed that the forearms had been tidied-up, with extra parts moved to the backpack.

IMG_20191213_201141.jpg

Definitely not recommended, unless you want a cheap MP sized OP with no weapons.

IMG_20191213_200215.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  13. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Btw, CJ's parts can be used as a shield in bot mode, or on his back, plus he can be towed by Hoist.

IMG_20191213_203021.jpg New Doc 854_1.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    See, I don't see it that way. I can't just "throw it in the trash". If I do that or leave it on the top, then the alt mode doesn't have the right silhouette. In order for his vehicle to look right, he has to parts form. I see no difference between that and Cliffjumper.

15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go big or go home. :D 

Also, I'm hoping that a KO company will take a crack at him and make a 1:1 KO and add some kind of armature to the backpack to get rid of the partsforming.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    When I get him in hand, if it's possible, I'll shapeways a part to make it work. Heck, I may even send the file to Nonnef so he can injection mold it for everyone to buy.

• Like Like x 2
  17. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for that. It doesn't make a bad shield. I don't see it as partsforming anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  18. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    Reading this, and all I see is this:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I think I enjoyed that movie. I wonder if I'd still like it if I watched it again.

20. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Kathy Bates crushes it.

• Like Like x 1