The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Mine should arrive this week, but from the chatter here, the feedback is pretty good. Decent plastic, good joints, etc...

Some have said that the gold plastic feels 'softer' than the stuff that was used on the colour set, but the molds are the same.

I rather doubt that.

Though even within a single company, running changes are a thing. We've seen molds released in versions with and without diecast metal, or odd variations in sculpt. And even with Hasbro product, a repaint might have tolerance issues compared to earlier editions... so it's legitimate to ask if a set has any differences from previous ones.

zmog

2. Robots78

Robots78 Ow, my foot!

Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Check out their thread here:
    KO OS POTP dinobots

That link will take you to the first post of in-hand impressions of the G1-color set, read forward from there to get lots of reviews. I have a set and like them.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Well-Known Member

If you track back through the multi color thread you will see it. As well as a few clowns who, based on an initial picture, were 100% convinced two of the limbs were not upscaled.

SIGNED POST

4. SMOG

Oh yeah, I remember that initial picture. It really was weirdly hard-to-read for the proper scale of the figures. Theories ranged from BMB using normal-scaled molds for some of the limbs, to photographic irregularities, to two of them just being samples made from painted Hasbro figures.

At that time the multicolour set was a new product, and that picture was all anybody had to go on. I wouldn't be so quick to blame people for being uncertain. Nobody had any physical samples in-hand to confirm anything, so all bets were off.

zmog

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Seeaich

Seeaich Inaction Master

News Credits:
    @SirToys I don't suppose you have a line in KO 7mm peg weapons for an under-equipped Dino-Force?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ultra Reverb

Ultra Reverb Well-Known Member

7. stprime

stprime THE OP that the Matrix refused.

News Credits:
    I wanted to know if you could get the TDW TCW-06EX box?

8. fywdyl

fywdyl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ultra Reverb

Ultra Reverb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link and thanks for pointing out the reviews. At least with the link I can use keywords in the title and go down the rabbit hole of recommended links in the margins. (Already spotted a couple G1 Seacon sets too!)

10. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They have been out a long time, But they are pretty worth having if you like the size of them, I actually have that Pipes sitting next to me as I type this, I've been considering buying another Blue A-10 to make a Viper custom from it, or just part swapping them with the previous releases to make new characters. One could perhaps make Powered Convoy out of mashing up an Optimus and a Pipes for example (or a more expensive Nemesis Prime) I suppose the Merit of the Sunstorm is he's actually Orange - thus allowing you to think of MFT's Yellow Seeker as Novastorm not Sunstorm. I hope they make another set like that - there is some potential for some more.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Regzero

Regzero Well-Known Member

Hmm actually it was, "oh this again". With that being said I was wondering was there something I am missing or are people bored? Wrote it up before work. It wasn't "someone is wrong". I have been in way too many conversations that have gone in circles for no other reason for someone to feel smart. They even admitted to it. This is after all the internet. But sometimes someone brings up an old topic but for an interesting reason. To provide understanding, or clarity on things. I was trying to honestly trying to figure it out and just wanted to add a joke about it.

Since it seems I have hit a nerve, I'll just continue to lurk. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    Nah man, you did nothing wrong - friendly ribbing!

The KO talk all began yet again, but by a valid discussion... Hasbro shutting down/suing KOmpanies.

Spured conversations regarding what is targetable by hasbro's lawyers, and what they "cannot" persue... I think.

13. stprime

stprime THE OP that the Matrix refused.

News Credits:
    Ok I need some opinions. I want a 3p swoop but don't know which/what is available and worth looking at? I have TAK MP Grimlock on Scoria extensions and Scoria X. I think i'm looking for something with a blue chest. Share some pics!

14. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

I have the blue powerglide and green Galvatron. They are very good (minor paint miss applications notwithstanding). Regarding the combiners: I believe these are undersized and a bit simplified.

15. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

BensKOllectables did a video review of the RF Starscream.

Definitely not the same as the Robot Hero version, though. A tiny bit smaller in jet mode and even more smaller in robotmode. It apparently does have some of the changes made to the mould from RH, but not all of them.

(Still hoping RH pops up again soon, because I'd love to have their Sunstorm.)

• Like Like x 1
  16. SMOG

Nah, no nerves, no drama. I just meant that what you were commenting on was just the same old "someone is wrong on the internet" (as in the XKCD comic, and implicating myself). Nothing out of the ordinary. It happens, and there's no point in trying to quell it.

My usual feeling is that most of the time, complaining about people complaining on the internet usually makes things worse than the initial complaining. :wink: 

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  17. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  18. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My KO guy just listed the Black Mamba upscaled SS38 Optimus figure, so I guess that's happening. He also listed an upscaled Siege Hound.

@stprime You basically have three options for an MP Swoop. Fanstoys Soar, Gigapower Gaudenter or Bullsfire Air Strike. I haven't owned a Soar, but he'll scale with your Scoria just fine, I believe. You'll want the die cast dino feet that came with their Grimlock though, as the stock plastic ones are prone to breaking. Airstrike was done to scale with MP08 and is an all right figure, but has issues. It's transformation is heavily taken from the MP Seeker. Gaudenter is huge compared to MP08 and Fanstoys Dinobots, but looks absolutely fantastic. He has some problems of his own, mainly his ankles are a bit loose on the chrome version and the gold bits on his legs can fall off. Gigapower put out four versions of him though, so you've got lots of choices.

Basically, it boils down to what scale you want and how much you want to pay. Soar can be pretty expensive now, especially the X version. Airstrike is not highly sought after so should be able to be had relatively cheaply. Chrome Gaudenter came out earlier this year and is a bit scarce now, but the metallic just dropped not too long ago.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  19. z3020878

z3020878 Active Member

20. lake88

lake88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1