The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you mean Optimus, Hound, Megatron ?
    Those are actually slightly bigger, so if the Lupu/Lubo (Wei Jiang) Studio Series KO - both are a little larger than the original toys The SS one is 18" for example.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

• Like Like x 3
  3. Chainlink

Chainlink No real than you are

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Good.
    I want my Oversized Siege Hound.

• Like Like x 4
  4. IceConvoy

IceConvoy Jikuu Keiji

News Credits:
    The pics I’d seen always made them seem to be the same size. Odd.

5. Max Tower

News Credits:
    The Lubo SS Knock off is the same size as the official AOE Voyager Optimus ; Megatron, Hound and Optimus by Black Mamba are a tiny bit larger and Barricade is substantially larger. as is Lubo Bumblebee that is in the same line as SS Optimus' KO that one is a large Voyager instead of a deluxe. I can see why it's not well know though as unless you see them side by side I don't think a lot of people would see them as anything other than a normal voyager - if they didn't notice the Hasbro ones were a little small and the other were a bit bigger. It's a bit like the difference between Siege Megatron and Titan's Returns Megatron - technically the later is still a voyager - but he's much bigger than Siege Megs and Siege Megs is actually bigger than some of the other Siege Voyager's himself.

There certainly are some seeming one to one KO's out there but they usually seem to pass themselves off a legit products - the Clear AOE Optimus on the market is often fake for example, but it's not well known - so I suspect that one is going to fool a lot of people into thinking they bought the genuine one. Similarly there are plenty of One-to-one Knock of Leader Class ROTF Optimus toys too... which is handy I guess if you want a clear one cheaper. But it's a trifle annoying to those of us who purchased an original Amazon JP Black one at great expense to have a cheaper copy exist.

But since we are on the subject of One to One KO's of AOE toys - I have no idea if the mould they made for that clear KO was also used for other releases. There is also those AOE Leader class toys being sold as "Prototypes" in white or Grey plastic - they could be testshots - or they could be Bootlegs - again I have no idea on that one.

I guess the distinction here is between KO's designed to fool, and KO's designed to build a brand on someone else's IP

6. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Honestly, them suing them seems like an inevitability, but it doesn't seem feasible. Like it's been said, China is home to hydras of business, more will pop up when one goes down. It's endless, really. Doesn't make it right, but it does keep Hasbro honest.

They were giving the least amount of effort for years and we lapped up the scraps as soon as we could get them. 3rd party came along and said "we can do it better AND give them what they want. Hold my beer." and finally Has/Tak stepped up. Took too long, but they finally did it. I thank 3rd party for that, I do.

IF Capcomkai is right (and I've heard of him, he's known) then they really are suing them and WJ/BMB are laughing it off to look all tough and big, but if I were them, I'd shut up and lay low so it doesn't happen if they're right. And if they're lying and being sued, running your mouth publicly on the internet is a terrible idea because it gives Hasbro all the ammo they need to get pissed enough and take 'em down.

Either way, the next few bits of news are eagerly anticipated and I'm not landing on either side of the rumor until we actually hear more, but I'll just say this. It's 50/50 right now and Hasbro has enough money to buy someone in the government to make it happen. If they do, WJ/BMB and all others should watch their Ps & qs and be happy they're in business while they can be. And if they aren't in danger, they ought to thank their lucky stars and shut up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. robotmel

robotmel *All must transform*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    o_O 
    When?
    56911257_2165803020168154_3045321783562469376_n.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  8. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    ^Fruiticus Redux!

• Like Like x 5
  9. robotmel

robotmel *All must transform*

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :p 
    My five!
    Yup, gonna need 2 green jeeps n a yellow chopper! :D 

10. Max Tower

News Credits:
    That Yellow tank would make a decent base for a number of customs too.
    Hopefully they will show up before the end of the year - unless of course they get scared out of releasing them - though considering my local UK stores even sell Knock Off Transformers - I think digging this tick out is no easy task as many buyers don't have a clue what they are buying and i'm not sure even what UK law would say about an overscale not branded as a Transformers in different colours to the original releases anyway.

That would be like a Designer Fake Handbag that copies a template perfectly but makes it twice the size and a different colour and uses non of the logos - that is essentially "High Street Fashion normal operating proceedure".

So in a way Wei Jiang and BMB are like Office, Next, or Dorthy Perkins or anyone else who may be bootlegging catwalk designs on the cheap and not often getting in trouble for it (though sometimes they push their luck) there is plenty of complaining about it by the designers but not much happens - one never sees Next or H&M raided by Traiding Standards now do you. There is a degree of size protection there that the little guy lacks.

Anyway yes I'd like those Combiner Wars KO's too - very much.

• Like Like x 6
  11. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

More self-loathing and hand-wringing and staring-in-the-mirror ahoy! :lol 

zmog

• Like Like x 6
  12. CMV17

CMV17 Well-Known Member

Asked Paul at Sir Toys when these will finally be released. Said he met the guy at toy fair, these were possibly just samples and they were looking for large orders to be mass produced, but no guarantees.
    Really hope they get made as well, but that didn't sound promising to me. Hope someone here has more info

• Like Like x 7
  13. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    It's more of them defending their SH1T products, while not bothering to release GOOD ones.

Products designed to fool are not KO's, they are "counterfeit" products. These are usually illegal.

Products that appear similar, but don't feature legally protected designs, features, etc are KO products. These are usually not illegal, unless the rights holder takes civil legal action for (copyright) violation/infringement.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Tarphedon

Tarphedon Strategist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Perhaps hasbro will have a swing at the hundred thousand rolexes on dhgate.

15. SirToys

SirToys OS Multicolor KO

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    They'll just say no though. My theory here. (Toy fair and ebay are the fault, they went international) :)  (I may also have a solution).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  16. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    Whatever the solution, I need those 1:1 cw fruiticons in all colors. :thumb 

And a yellow undersized cw devastator.

... Aaaaaand an orange one. :D 

• Like Like x 4
  17. Ultra Reverb

Ultra Reverb Well-Known Astro-Creep

News Credits:
    With this lawsuit talk, maybe I should finally order WJ Predaking or the Dinobots, while the gettin's good.

18. LilPrime

LilPrime アマテラス

News Credits:
    In other news, looks like an MPM scaled BB Optimus prime is in the works from a well-known toy maker via TransFans. Is it right to count out Toyworld yet?

19. EndoSickness

EndoSickness AKA Tim Kay's Nerd Crate

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Sadly no pics yet. Bummer...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Max Tower

News Credits:
    Dictionary Definition (M.Websters) :

"A copy that sells for less than the original broadly : a copy or imitation of someone or something popular"

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019