The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    No, a knockoff in the sense of toys is when an item is directly copied

• Like Like x 2
  2. Craigmcgowan1984

Craigmcgowan1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah the autoscout is ridiculously difficult to transform everything was very hard to in tab. If its not made by Hasbro or takara surly its a ko since anything but Hasbro/takara is unofficial?

3. pegasusprime

pegasusprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I could understand that in case of primal or cheetor for price but dinobot and megatron are highly wanted

• Like Like x 4
  4. Kung Fu Roo

Kung Fu Roo Well-Known Member

5. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Nop, there are no pre-existing molds of these things, official or otherwise. Its a 3p product.

Why no go ham anyway?

• Like Like x 1
  6. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    IP infringement... not knockoff.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kung Fu Roo

no reason other than position on my want/price list. currently at siege jetfire or (OS KO if someone does one), mp ko hound (whenever that is), mmc sphinx, mmc terraegis, kfc opticlones, wj ultima guard, an os os defensor (please jinbao), blaster. blasters position moves though... if something else comes out or i find a deal i want, he'll get pushed further.. my desk/desk wall area is running out of room... once its taken, im done minus upgrades.

howev, if there was a cheaper KO, i would have bought it already.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

For reasons of classification and convenience, a Knock-off (KO) in this fandom usually refers to a direct copy or mashup based on existing molds and (usually) sold cheaply on the mass-market... rather than the kind of IP infringement-type products made by 3rd Party companies for the direct fan market.

That means it's mostly random, weird, and very cheap stuff that gets followed as "KO" products, while 3rd Party original works (new designs, add-on kits, etc) get their own threads. It just makes it easier to find and discuss stuff when it's categorized along those lines (plus the price range tends to be VERY different).

It's getting more fuzzy in recent years, because a number of companies are now producing very high-end KO items with re-engineered parts and design improvementss over the originals, and in some cases, these are priced more like 3rd Party items.

And in some cases, these companies ALSO produce totally original molds and products as well... so there's some crossover, but we still technically call most of those KOs since they're usually still derived from original Hasbro/Takara molds.

And now you also get KO companies producing copies of 3rd Party designs (like Jinbao's version of GT Gravity Builder or AOD's copy of DX9 Richthofen) just to make it more confusing. :lol 

zmog

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  9. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I'd be surprised if there isn't going to be KOs for both Dinobot and Megatron at least since well those two are expensive even by MP standards so not everyone can afford them normally.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Is BW in demand in China?

• Like Like x 1
  11. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think so, it should be at least as hot as here in North American.
    When Takara released the news for MP BW figures, I saw lots of Chinese collectors showed interests.

12. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Then, it's strange, considering the cost.

13. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes indeed, I think the only reason might be those KO guys are old fxxkers like myself who don't give a damn about BW.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty sure the lack of Primal or Cheetor KO's has absolutely nothing to do with the affordability of the officials. Carbots and even cassettes have been KO'd and they're pretty bloody cheap, especially older ones.
    If I had to guess I'd say it's :
    1) Lower demand - BW isn't as popular as G1 so the market for them may not be as clear to KO makers - this is pretty speculative as plenty of other, non-G1 stuff does get KO's so they obviously can see a market for some of them.
    but more importantly:
    2) The paint apps. Takara made a huge deal about the fancy method they used for the paint on Primal and presumably the same or similar processes have been employed with the other BW bots. It simply may not be feasible, cost-effective or even possible for the KO companies to match that paint? Or if they can do it, it may well cost too much or requires additional equipment/facilities they don't have and don't see value in.

Edit: Thanks to @MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN I think he nailed the correct painting process.

If it does come down to the paint, we may never see KO's of these, or at least not for a long time, unless other methods or cheaper processes are found.
    Essentially it's the same kind of idea as the old G1 holographic rub-signs. KO manufacturers couldn't make them at the time so it was a "proof of authenticity". BW pain may be a lot like that, though not necessarily intentionally from Takara.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  15. pilot00

Dont think that would ever happen to be honest. Also its pretty much sold out everywhere, barring the reissues that is.
    Personally in your place I would go with order of release age in my collecting (as I actually did) else you might miss some chars/molds.
    OFC there is the possibility of TT or someone else releasing a Blaster at some point, but there is no guarantee it will match aesthetics as good as this one does with the rest of the line and Soundwave.

Just my 2c.

16. pilot00

I dont think thats the case. After all the process requires conductive materials and I dont believe the entire figures are made of diecast, or they have developed conductive plastic eh?

Also in keeping up with the cheap trope they could simply spray paint the damn things and be done with it.

Ofc I might be missing something on both accounts.Wikipedia knowledge isnt exactly right.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sure it's this.

• Like Like x 5
  18. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Agreed on this. Came here just to say this, haha. This would definitely make the most sense.

Remember, there was a Primal KO teased a few years back or so but it never materialised - if they were planning to do it and it ultimately couldn't be made for some reason, I'd say this would be the reason.

19. TGS1985

TGS1985 Well-Known Member

Sorry, didn't see your question until now.

No it's a Studio Series 15 that I got from BBTS. It's a solid yellow SS-01 Camaro Bee that comes with 2 customizable hood scoops, 2 rear spoilers and ground effects. It also has two stickers sets, a really nice black racing stripe set and a tacky electricity blue set. I really like this set because there is a fair amount of customization you can do. Also it comes with a in scale figurine of Charlie from the movie.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Kung Fu Roo

there are plenty on taobao still. hes just at the end on my character wants. i think hes cool, but eh, much rather have a few others first. good thing he was actually technically a season 2 character or id nix him all together. im thinking about ridding myself of the few animated movie bots i have to make more space.