The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Ozymandias13

Ozymandias13 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IF isn't prone to breakage that I'm aware of, but their joints are notoriously tight. Working around those strictures as KOers may have required them to add the joints for fear of their own product breaking; unless the replacements are intended to be used on the original IFs for some weird reason.

• Like Like x 1
  2. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That makes sense. A combination of tightness and even the slightest bit weaker plastic on the KO would probably spell doom for those joints.

• Like Like x 2
  3. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    like he said the IF bots are truly great. but the way the waist joints are situated i can see how it could be an issue if they dont seat right at the factory. too much force and you will stress the peg.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Spiffy

Spiffy Well-Known Member

How has the Pocket Toys track record been? I have their seekers and have had no issues, transformed them back and forth a few times. Any other products KO'd by them?

• Like Like x 1
  5. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    all i really know about them is that they really cheaped out on shockwave. as a result he suffered from broken arm syndrome...lol

they used a cheaper plastic as well as the seekers but they are more forgiving than shockwave.

i haven't heard anything bad about soundwave either.

but they seem to have taken a different direction as if late and instead of being a cheap ko company. it looks like they want to be taken a little more seriously with a bot as complicated as IF bruticus. so congrats to them on stepping up their game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

My Pocket Toys Soundwave is awesome but his head rolls off during movement which seems to be a design flaw and I can’t get anyone to confirm the issue. I have both sets of PT seekers that are great except one was missing the chest screw covers so I’m waiting on replacements.

I’m super stoked for this set. PT delivers a fine product in my book.

Oh and I have their IF Shockwave KO. He’s solid too but his knees were a pain the first transformation due to double jointing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  7. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I'm not sure if I agree with that. All figures have their faults, and it often just comes down to execution. An upscaled Legends (especially the newer generation of highly-detailed Legends) can upscale rather nicely, especially if small fixes or detail enhancements are made as part of that process. And if the plastic dimensions are maintained, it'll probably produce a robust figure with very solid forms.

Exactly! That Grimlock is a bit blocky, but he's still detailed enough to have the articulation and detail you need at that scale. The plastic could have been a bit thicker/better, and of course... he could have been an inch taller...

Agreed. I have that Ratchet too, and he's maybe one of the clumsier upscales in that line. Still fun to play with for the price. I love the scaling on the Starscream in that set!

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  8. SMOG

Unrelated...

Has anybody seen any review for those new slightly-simplified MPP10 KOs (in classic red, electric blue, and nemesis black)?

They look nice, and the price is attractive, but I'm just curious to know more about them. Surely there must be some scuttlebutt on those by now?

zmog

9. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd totally buy certain legends figures being upsized to voyager. Really depends on the individual figure. Some things like open calves are tolerable at the legends scale, but would be terrible at voyager.

• Like Like x 1
  10. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw one Twitter post by someone that got Blue-Boy and seemed to like him, but no details beyond that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SMOG

Of course, these days it's not even that unusual to see hollow limbs or even open calves on official figures even up to Leader scale. If the figure is good otherwise, I can tolerate it. :) 

zmog

• Like Like x 3
  12. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    Nobody said they were?

13. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    Seem to be good KOs but not sure there's much cost saving being only a 'little' cheaper than the MPP10s

TF MMP-10

• Like Like x 1
  14. SMOG

By which you mean, half as expensive? :) 

I mean, how much is an MPP10 these days? $80? $100? More?

zmog

• Like Like x 2
  15. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

it's a lot cheaper. and you can't get it in blue.

• Like Like x 1
  16. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    MB Bruticus is still available, yes

LESS. Most of the old MPP10s are on permanent mark down prices to around $65 USD.

-
    Courtesy of a repost by Bot and Bits on FB - PT IF KO:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    I'm guessing you'll hear about it here from that person who buys all the KO's. Whoever that is. Leave some for the rest of the world!!!

Also, with Chinese NY era deformation 2000 postal genius system - I guess we'll see only non-english videos and then a bunch after that in english when people get their backed up orders all at once like a crazy man who ate too many curries the previous night.

I want the powder blue one, but my wallet says "no" and "empty" "please try again later"

• Like Like x 1
  18. SMOG

I guess it depends on where you're shopping. I haven't seen them that cheap recently, but maybe things are shifting?

I could get one of the new ones from Sirtoys for $40-ish shipped... but one of the pleasures of MPP10 is the quality of the piece. I have no other reason to own a Prime that large, so it should feel impressive at least.

zmog

19. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    Has anyone said anything about the quality of the blue Jia Qi combiner? I was thinking of getting a couple of the parts from it but now I'm really considering getting the whole thing. I like how the individual figures look and have uses in mind for a couple of them. If it's like the previous Jia Qi figures in build quality, I'll be pretty happy.

20. minstral

minstral It's all about G1 Masterpiece

News Credits:
    I had a quick look on taobao a few days ago and the mpp was maybe $20 more expensive. My calculations may have been wrong but if they were right the mmp isn't a ssignificant cost save