The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

From what I heard (dont own one), Its a 50/50 thing.

EDIT: If you dont do this (KO) for budget purposes, you might want to consider digging a Badcube Swipe. Seems to be a bang for the buck.

2. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    As an owner of one, its pretty good. has a mis type for one of the words on the Lambo, but other than that its pretty spot on. the only issue on my copy is that the gun can't tab into his hand, but he is still able to hold it. so i would say its fairly good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pilot00

I Think the recent runs have fixed the typo problem and the hand problem is defo an original issue as well.

4. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Indeed, the Badcube Sideswipe is great.

5. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
  6. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:
  7. pilot00

Despite my hobbits, I will feign ignorance this time and I will burrow in my robbit hole.

Now heres a parting gift for @primalxconvoy though, I know he loves it:

Destroctiun
    Cunstruction
    Perffect
    Absoluttelly
    Desymate

Wish I was not on the job right now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HanDy

HanDy You have been deceived

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any news from Yes Model on making Maketoys contact shot?

After the yes model headmasters reviews i pick up the first two and i would like more of them, of course that would take some time for Maketoys to release stuff but still..

9. JomasterII

JomasterII The Space Consultant from Jolo

News Credits:
    I bet you DEFIANTLY wish you weren't on the job.

10. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I just wanted to chime in on KO MP Figures.

The loose leg (at the knee) on the MP Datsuns is an original issue. All my Takara versions are a little looser on one knee, so I might expect the KO to be similar... maybe a bit worse. As for tabbing in the chest, I find that sometimes you just need a little extra force, or to file away a tiny bit of plastic around the tab slot.

I've owned 4 versions of the KO Lamborghini (Sideswipe) mold. They're all pretty good, though with minor issues... an occasional loose knee, a paint imperfection here or there (also common on the official). Red Alert's helmet flap doesn't quite close up 100% flush. They don't always keep a good grip on their guns. Many people have had trouble tabbing the chest in on this one too, but see my above solution. :) 

But overall still quite good.

I have KO Ratchet, Inferno and Grapple; I feel like the officials might be a little tighter and fold up a little more solidly... but for the price, no complaints. I've heard that Rodimus and Tracks are very good. Tracks is apparently better than the Takara version. Don't know about the Bumblebee, though.

zmog

12. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

My apologies if this has been asked already in the thread (KO newbie here): Are there KO CW sets that are oversized?

I just got POTP Predaking and would love to have other CW combiners in that size but I don’t know if any oversized KOs have been made. Thanks!

13. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Defensor, parts of menasor, a red hot spot and superion have been oversized

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ramberk Magnus

Does anyone know if the combined form scales/matches POTP Predakings height?

15. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    theyre pretty close, about the same size as cw devastator

here are a few links
    superion: JuJiang JJ-02 JET COMMANDER COMBINER
    defensor w two helicopters: CW Defensor OS Diecast - Combiner - SirToys.com
    streetwise: CW Defensor OS Diecast Streetwise - Combiner - SirToys.com
    chief fire (red hotspot): KAT-02 Chief Fire - Standard - Combiner - SirToys.com
    offroad: CW OS Offroad - Combiner - SirToys.com
    breakdown: CW OS Breakdown - Combiner - SirToys.com

• Like Like x 1
  16. pilot00

My RoadRage required some work to become perfect. It had some random paint splooshes in places that I took care with a cotton bud and alcohol,and it required some filing on the chest tabs and the arm sliding mechanism. Once that was done she is now perfect. My SG mp10 outside the sliding on the legs been stuck, which was fixed by disassembling and filing the insides of the leg is good too. Now Ratchet....This is the worst KO I have. He is not floppy at all, quite the contrary, but he has a huge amount of flash in his parts and needs to be disassembled, filed down and be put back together, something I have neglected doing. Also I had missing parts, which surprisingly the Chinese ebay seller did send me for free.

Regarding the official MP18B. Mine at least doesnt have the floppy leg like Prowl only the chest and sadly the sigil of Datsun when compared to the KO is very sloppily painted. IDK if the tab on the chest needs filing or the slot enlarging though.

I only know that I speak England very best, and by time bester and bestest at this point.

EDIT: Editing to tag my friend @primalxconvoy . I know you love this, but please send me a pic when your eyes bleed. Ill feel complete :p 

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2018
  17. Brogey

Brogey Well-Known Member

20180924_163631.jpg
    Ko Hotspot, Streetwise and First Aid with Hasbro Alpha Bravo and Rook with the tcw-02 kit. Hasbro is on the right side with pe hands and feet.
    20180924_164429.jpg
    The post this part of the thigh slides onto needed sanded down.
    20180924_164459.jpg
    The Hasbro version does have a little lip here but I took it all the way down because of the lock in the back.
    15378224458297445900269793265107.jpg
    On mine this wouldn't close properly if I left that lip there.
    15378225747547779062739366588897.jpg
    That tab locks in really good.
    15378228326205023364555651849685.jpg
    This area doesn't hold too well.
    Edit: This is more of the kit's fault and not sure if has been noted in the thread for the kit but Streetwise as a arm, his arm hits the chest plate and Rook as a leg his arms and head hits the cab section.

• Like Like x 2
  18. SMOG

Just to flesh out this helpful list...

The JuJiang Jet Commander (OS CW Superion Improved) is more expensive than what we usually consider "KO" (mine cost about $220 shipped)... but it's an excellent piece. All the jet and robot modes have been tweaked for G1 accuracy, and the figure is extremely solid. He stands about the same height as CW Devastator... skinnier in the body, but bigger in the arms, so a bit closer to Predaking's proportions. The individual bots are larger than voyagers, and Silverbolt is the size of MP10 and probably twice as heavy. The connectors and ratchets are very strong. I also like the built-in face-swap feature.

WeiJiang OS Defensor is a fantastic buy. They're basically direct upscales of the original set, and are exceptionally sturdy. It was released in two runs - one with diecast, one in plastic, but both are good. The Hot Spot is an impressive beast... really big and really tough, with intense clicky joints. The first release included 2 Rook decos and 2 Blades decos, but since then, they've also done a matching Red Alert and Streetwise. Defensor is about a head and a bit shorter than Devastator/Predaking, but very thickly built. He could definitely be improved with some replacement feet to increase his height (though no matching upgrade kits have been made for it yet).

We have 2 CW Stunticons now, but no indication of a follow up for a full Menasor unfortunately. The red Chief Fire version of Hotspot is also by WeiJiang, so I expect it to be similarly excellent build quality. I've been thinking of picking it up for a while.

Honestly, I have to say, I don't think ANY of the other combiner options are quite as balanced and poseable and fun as POTP Predaking. Often they're too heavy to support their weight in more dynamic poses... but they're still pretty great toys.

zmog

• Like Like x 5
  19. Ramberk Magnus

You guys have been helpful! Thank you! Now I have to make some heavy considerations now... :) 

20. SMOG

Seems I totally forgot about this request after getting back from vacation. I just checked, and there's no compatibility between JuJiang Jet Commander and the MB oversized Powerglide.

This is because the fists on Jet Commander no longer rely on an embedded partial round slot to grip (5mm) pegs like Powerglide's landing gear. Instead there's a shallow rectangular groove.

So even if Powerglide's peg was scaled correctly, the gun handle slot on Jet Commander's hand just is not the right shape, unfortunately. Basically, Jet Commander is so extensively remolded, he doesn't have all the same features as the original-sized set.

zmog

For what it's worth, Jet Commander and OS Defensor are totally worth it, and they do scale pretty well with the official Predaking and Devastator sets. I say go for it! :) 

It's pretty impressive how beefy Predaking manages to be considering he's made up of 5 Voyager class figures. Jet Commander and OS Defensor rely on having massive core robots, but nobody's really significantly bigger or smaller in the Predaking set.

zmog

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1