The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    LOL

I posted that comment about three times in another thread, and 20 pages later people were still stuck on repeat. Then I stopped reading that thread. It was that giant non-transforming optimus thing that's coming out, whatever it is called. I preordered the thing, and was eager to hear what people were saying about it, which turns out to be pages of "it doesn't transform! IT's not G1! WAHHHHh TANTRUM"

My last post there I was pretty pissed off and then I just unsubbed from that thread, it was pure aggravation. Ah well, I am looking forward to the toy, and now I can just write about it on my blog instead and enjoy the hell out of it.

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I'll spell it out, so nobody needs to get stuck on repeat... :wink: 

G1 is a Transformers continuity family...
    IDW Transformers is a G1 series...
    IDW-style therefore IS G1-style...
    IDW Prime/Primo Vitalis is a version of G1 Prime.

It's not complicated. It doesn't take much to draw a line between TF fiction with a G1 setting and characters, and those which establish a different setting (Animated, RID, Unicron Trilogy, Bayformers, etc). There's not really any point in arguing otherwise... unless you're one of those cartoon orthodoxy fanatics, for whom G1 can only ever be 3.5 seasons of Sunbow, and never anything else. :rolleyes2 

But it doesn't sound like you are.

(never mind the fact that IDW can't even keep their character models straight half the time anyway :lol  )

zmog

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. batfan007

News Credits:
    I like everything. It's why I called my blog Multiverse rather than mono-stupidity. Everything you've said is like basic ABC stuff in Transformers.
    I like the way you laid it out, but I also know the futility of trying to explain anything to someone who has a linear one track mind about anything, while also being a super-detail-obsessive-compulsive nerd myself. I sometimes get stuck on that kind of track myself, not just here but with family and friends.

Anyhow, back on topic. I'm looking forward to my next purchases in the coming months of:

*Black Ko Megatron
    *White OS WeiJiang Prime/Magnus
    *The recent WFC/FOC S.G. Prime, have not decided on purple, red or both? Love both versions, very tempting.

I just ordered one of those very cheap MP Starsabers, people are still going "KO or factory second?" I'm guessing factory second, seeing it's not changed in scale, and so far no major differences (other than cosmetic ones that you get with factory seconds) but I would like to know more. Saw a comparison a while back somewhere online but I forget where.

4. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well to be Honest :

Legends Optimus
    Combiner Wars Optimus
    & That new upgrade mod-kit
    as well as Toyworld's Orion

Are all overtly based on one IDW design or another.
    Exceptions to that would be the new Titan's Returns ones which are based on the Powermaster Prime and G2 Laser Prime respectively.

It's not overtly unreasonable to see "G1" in that Upgrade kit due to the chest windows and such like but to me when I saw it I saw the square shape & airdam and thought immediately of IDW & Toyworlds Orion toy.

But you can look at things another way for example a change of labels to Combiner Wars Prime does make him look like a successor to the Original Optimus Prime. I don't think he's quite written like that in Western Continuity - but he seems to be seen that way in the Japanese toyline.

So it seems the situation is not so unlike what it was with United with Takara sprinkling some characters from other Dimensions or times in but with most of them being some sort of G1 sequel with no relationship to IDW at all really.

If you don't pay any attention to Fiction - if you live in a country where the comics are not included it seems quite reasonable to see all of Combiner Wars and Titans Returns as a Neo G1 / Classics sequel of some sort. After all much of the Titans Returns toyline has nothing whatsoever to do with IDW comics as it is. I don't think I've even heard anyone suggest anywhere near as much that Hardhead is IDW hardhead as much as I have that he's more akin to Headmaster Hardhead. I do also read people often say that they are going to buy a Japanese Chromedome as he's the right kind of chromedome as the Hasbro one is more IDW inspired on that figure and so doesn't match as much with some of the others.

As Emgo Says : "It's your toy play with how you like".

5. SMOG

I can relate to this. :thumb 

This is intriguing... where did you order it? I somehow missed mention of the KO MP Starsaber!

Yes, but to simplify that, I'll point out that I consider IDW Optimus to be a "G1 Prime."

Call it Classics... Neo-G1... whatever... it is intended to be the same character. G1 encompasses a spectrum of variants and versions (and always has), rather than being one exclusive fiction or continuity. So what makes a G1 Prime? Is it just chest-windows? Well, I guess it's also the character himself. So while this IDW Prime upgrade kit may be more IDW-flavoured, and MP10 may be more "traditional," I still consider both to occupy a "G1 Prime" character slot. The rest of the differences are largely aesthetic and superficial.

zmog

6. Max Tower

News Credits:
    I could say "I'm James Bond Fan" and mean all of them -
    Or I could say "I'm a James Bond Fan" and have a specific favorite and little interest in some or all of the others.

Same is true of Optimus Prime I could see someone saying they like Optimus Prime and mean any leadership Character of that name - or they might mean Optimus Prime - but exclude certain versions like the Movie one for example.

So to me not allowing for a distinction to be drawn for what Takara would call "Generation One" and Say Movie Prime or IDW Prime is like saying to someone you have to like Timothy Dalton & George Lazenby simply because they are James Bond.

For Me I like All James Bond but the latest one and I'm pretty much on the same situation with Optimus Prime I like all of them (even Movie Prime) except the IDW one. Who I'm simply indifferent too. but that is mostly as I don't really consider myself an Orion Pax fan so he gets some rub off from that.

When I look at something like MPP-10 IDW is the furthest possible thing from my mind... Notice that a fair few people don't even call IDW Prime sometimes they just refer to him as Orion Pax anyway.

Now the latest "Partial Reboot" / Soft Rebooted comic seem to have adopted a more traditional look for the characters so in that regard that take on Optimus Prime seen on the promotional Materials is more in keeping with the established G1 "Vintage" Optimus Prime look.

In that regard calling him G1 prime is less of a stretch... But i'm sorry if it's an upsetting concept but I'm still going to not be someone shouting at someone as they want to draw a distinction between G1 Prime in the classic sense and IDW Optimus Prime. They have different origins and even a different personality. Just as Movie Prime does - He might look a bit like Optimus Prime but well lets be honest he's a genocidal sociopath so love him or hate him a distinction needs to be drawn.

I personally think there seems to be some parallels to be had with aligned Optimus Prime & Orion Pax as both took a throw away element of the old cartoon and ran with it somewhat.

But for some of us Orion Pax is a quaint quirk of the Original Cartoon not to be taken to seriously and it's more one to file under the same heading as Flying Autobots in the pilot.

So I'm going to have to argue a little bit with the idea that IDW Prime = G1 Prime he does in the same sense that GT Prime/Convoy or Kiss Players Convoy/Prime does I guess. But he's only recently been identifiably more Freightliner like (on the covers at least).

But at a minimum I'm thinking distinctions are needing to be drawn here as with James Bond Actors too even if the differences may be slight they are still there.

To those who look at those Hot toys or the like Statues that clearly have a freightliner alt mode (if they Transformed) and don't see G1 Prime then I have to say I'm looking at them a bit funny myself so I can't say I'm as fussy then as some seem to be as to what G1 is.
    But IDW Prime isn't the 1st thing I'm thinking of when the name comes up any more than GT convoy or that one that turns into an SUV or a baseball hat is either.

7. SMOG

Except they are both James Bond, whether you like them or not. They are the same guy, operating in roughly the same universe, just played by a different actor who looks and acts a bit differently.

G1 in particular is a relatively unique canon in that it has always been more defined by its basic setting and particular group of characters, than by any actual narrative/continuity factors. There were always different versions of those characters, but they were still variations on the same fiction.

This changed later on when we got series that weren't strictly part of the G1 family, and included totally new characters with old names, or different factions, or radically different identities, against the backdrop of a different setting.

Oh, that's all good and fine... but I wouldn't say that IDW Optimus has any special characteristics that make him fundamentally different than G1 Tech Specs Optimus, or G1 Marvel Optimus, or G1 cartoon Optimus. Some writers have portrayed him in better or worse ways, but I wouldn't say that he's different enough to constitute a different character.

I'm not sure if that's really true. Some 3P companies used the name "Orion" to promote their off-brand Optimus figures, but the name Orion Pax has long been associated with Optimus, going back to the old G1 cartoon. It is true, however, that I think IDW Optimus is the only version of Prime who actually gave up his name for a while... and compared to other fictions, we actually spent more time in IDW following him before he became a Prime.

It's not necessarily about how they look aesthetically, down to the fine details... it's that they are in effect the same group of characters as featured in G1... something that is not the case if we compare to Bayformers or Animated, for example. Collectively they belong to the same fictional setting family... slight deviations from the same starting point (basically the Budiansky profiles).

I'm not saying that there are NO differences between them visually or in terms of their portrayal. Of course, there are variations in style for each one (which can often vary just between writers or artists), but I think that IDW Prime, and Cartoon Prime, and Dreamwave Prime are all versions that fall under the umbrella category of "G1 Optimus" whether you want to call it "updated" or "vintage" or "neo-G1" or whatever. For what it's worth, TFwiki agrees with me on that point.

But we digress... we're getting off the topic of KO figures.

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  8. batfan007

News Credits:
    Ah it's all good. This is one of few threads where I think no one gives a fuck if things go off topic and result in crying fanboy syndrome.

Anyhow, does anyone know if there is KO versions of the Ravage USB toys? they've been around forever on ebay, and as they as like $5 I assume they are KO's? Any idea if they are actually KO's (they are from China... hint hint) and what price the official one sells for.

[​IMG]

And were they a tie in with these toys? I've never seen them so really don't know.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  9. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

several years ago you could get a ko of the official usb ravage but now they just have a cheap looking one (no matter what the seller shows). a lot of sellers still use the old pic but they will not send you the old version of the toy. the new version is bigger but the mouth is always open. mmc's ravage is the best by a mile though.

10. Max Tower

News Credits:
    I'd agree with that sellers are very naughty about showing the wrong images for KO ravages - it's always that ugly long bodied one they are actually selling - but all means buy one if you want a novelty - but i've not seen a genuine KO (so to speaK) for years.

There was 3 kinds that I know of initially a one some times called "dog like" That one was made in Black, Black & silver, Red & white. often has a blue Decepticon logo and a more square shaped button - the USB part doesn't 'lock'. the mouth opens fine but it lacks a neck joint It's OK though.

Next kind is the best kind it's quite similar to the legit one only bigger has a purple decepticon logo and oval shaped button, which locks but the legs are often white - though I think a silver leg version exists too - as did one with a storage case.n The mouth opens and it has no neck joint but as it's a bit bigger than the normal one it's kinda useful.

Last kind is the long body peaces mentioned. it's not great it might be worth considering as a representation of Cheetor but is not great for ravage. The long body one does have more memory though.

I can lay my hands on the 1st 2 kinds to show you pics of mine if your interested - I do have a long body somewhere but i've misplaced it.

Your best bet with finding one now is a private seller though I suppose.

Considering Toshiba reissued USB Ravage perhaps there are some around but mis-listed - some people seem to think he's a dog - I can only suggest trying to find it via other search terms and ask the seller a question before buying as most of the time they will be long bodied ones (with the odd official one thrown in) but obviously the official ones will be a lot more expensive.

The Official ones have a tendency for the jaw to break though. Best of luck in your hunt.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SMOG

The Device Label line was a spin-off from the Music Label line that gave us the MP3 Soundwave, and the Rumble/Frenzy headphones. It included the feline USB keys, a dinobot mouse, and that Blaster who turns into a USB hub. I think those were the only molds. The USBs didn't interact with the Blaster or Soundwave figures at all (other than being able to plug into Blaster as functional USB drives).

Yeah, I have three versions of the KO USB Device Label Ravage, and all of them are different molds, weirdly enough. I also have a Cheetor version of one.
    1. There's the one with white plastic lower legs, and an extra flat, elongated body. The head is very broad and flat. This is the ugly duckling of the group. It has a very large blue Decepticon logo on its shoulder. I'd avoid this one if you can.

2. Then there's the one that is (I think) 100% accurate to the original mold, and has very nice proportions, and a sharply detailed head. The lower legs are also molded in white plastic, and it has a purple Con symbol on his shoulders.

3. The last (maybe best) of the batch is very similar to the accurate one, but just generally has a more robust build, with a heavier-looking muzzle and jaw (like a real jaguar). The lower legs are matte silver, and the Con emblem is blue again, but this time is located further along, on the back of the neck area. This is also the one I have in Cheetor colours.
    In terms of construction, they're all pretty decent. Joints are all tight, plastic feels decent, they look okay. None have broken, and mine don't seem especially fragile or junky (though I've never had an official Device Label Ravage to compare... they were on the pricey side).

The flash memory seems to vary in size. Out of 4 of them, they all seemed to work alright as USBs. The only one that seemingly died was my Cheetor version. The memory from the ugliest one has been serving as the drive for my Xbox for years now (I just pulled it out of the Ravage).

I got mine all from Ebay a few years back now... all different sellers, all between $5 and $10 canadian. After getting the long, flat-headed model first, I really looked carefully at the pictures on Ebay to make sure I was getting the right one. None of mine were mismatched with the wrong image, fortunately.

They're actually really nice figures if you can secure the right model. I have my #3 with my MP Soundwave. He feels way better than the tiny little kitten that is the real MP Ravage.

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  12. batfan007

News Credits:
    Thanks guys.

13. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Are there any voyager sized Windblades available anywhere?

14. vproject

vproject Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    20160923_180804~01.jpg 20160923_180821~01.jpg 20160923_180835~01.jpg KO stuff I found today... =)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm still waiting for a Voyager size Generations Armada Starscream.

• Like Like x 2
  16. SilverWolf01

SilverWolf01 Well-Known Member

Asked my friend to help me order a Quakeblast (aka MP Shockwave) from taobao for 45$ along side with his stuff and it arrived
    Gonna get it tomorrow, so execited now :D 

17. SirToys

SirToys OS Multicolor KO

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Anyone have an ID on this Megatron and Bumblebee?

DSC02852.jpg

DSC02855.jpg

In the ranger world what are these kind of things called?

DSC02846.jpg

18. SMOG

Ahh... timless classics, those. Some KOs are flash-in-the-pan events... limited time occurrences. These guys have been regulars in every Chinatown for at least a decade now. When I was in Hong Kong 2 years ago, stores still had crates of them!

I always kind of wanted that Vehicle Voltron.

Those appear to be KOs of the somewhat uncommon Transformers Cyber Battalion line. Cool! How big are they?

Weirdly, they gave the Bumblebee a movie head. Normally he comes with a G1-style head.

zmog

19. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Must get that G2 colored Cyber Megatron! Hope they do multi colored Starscream. Please tell me they are still voyager size and not crap plastic

20. GammaRay

GammaRay Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Machine Boy Onslaught?