The "I've Seen Cloverfield" thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ra88, Jan 17, 2008.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Bought my tickets for tomorrow night. They had a midnight screening here tonight, but I have to be nice and wait for my friends. :( 

2. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just got back from it. I liked it, but didn't love it. Also, 'Cloverfield' is a dumb name for the movie. They should have just named it OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!!!!, as that seems to be every other line of dialog.

-Tony!

3. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Nope...want to like it...YES...nope. Found it dull. Stupid kids. Little coolness.

I'm going to rename it "Cauliflower" cause I hate that too.

As Tricky mentioned-
    A guy sitting a couple seats over from me stood up when the movie ended and fell down to the ground he was so dizzy. His friends ran and got the staff.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  4. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Saw it.

BAD:
    Annoying camera from time to time.
    Characters doing stupid sh*t.
    Not too many clear pics of the creature.
    No really good God's eye views of the destruction or the creature.
    Not much replay value.
    Zero explanations.

GOOD:
    Unique looking creature. Looked like a giant hairless, wingless bat, with really long front legs, face looked like a mutated fish with giant fangs.
    Lot of characters died.
    Very realistic ending.
    Nice refreshing attempt at a giant monster movie.
    Good thrill ride, very suspensful.

And the best aspect of the film:
    [​IMG]

5. DeftDutchman

DeftDutchman Well-Known Member

I saw it and loved it. The audio clip at the end kind of leaves it open ended for a sequel.

6. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Was this during, or before, end credits? What was said?

7. DeftDutchman

This was at the very end of the credits.

SPOILER Someone says "It's still alive" SPOILER

8. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need a hug after seeing it...the movie just absolutely destroyed me

9. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    I didn't hear the audio clip (ran as soon as the credits rolled to catch a train which I missed), but did think that was pretty much a given.

10. SicklyInfected

SicklyInfected Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but the last scene...*when they are on the carousel and they show the ocean, I was looking to the right of the shot and it shows something crashing into the water...* I think I saw it but not totally sure. I'm planning on seeing it again.

11. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would definately like to see a traditional sequel, with investigations, military perspective and the continued rampage of the creature.
    Limited Hand-held scenes. Need those god's eye views for the Giant monster flicks.

12. DeftDutchman

I know what you're talking about. Here's what I think happened:

SPOILER When it showed that crashing into the water, the camera said April 22, which was exactly a month before the creature showed up in New York. I think that thing fell from the sky, found the oil tanker that later capsized, and was breeding or something on it or in it. SPOILER

13. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    "OH MY GOD". That is the spoiler-free review I gave when I was telling some people about the movie earlier.

I really enjoyed Cloverfield. It was suspenseful, thrilling, and shocking (there were a few occasions where my jaw dropped and I was stunned). And until now, I don't think I've used the words "emotionally gripping" to describe a movie.

I really cared for the characters (even Rob who was at times, a douchebag), and was upset when any of them died, especially Hud. I could tell from the trailer that most everyone was going to die, but it was still shocking and depressing.

What really surprised me was Clover/Mr Grumpy Pants. I expected something big, powerful, and lumbering. I did not expect what we got. It was, in my opinion, the first terrifying giant monster. And I liked it. I also didn't expect to see that much of it. I thought we'd get glimpses of body parts, then one shot of the whole thing. There were at least three shots of the whole monster. I can't wait for the toy.

I really appreciated the realism. Particularly how they tried to stop the monster. None of this "super weapon" or "biological agent" stuff that we see in a lot of giant monster films. They just bombed the crap out of it and New York.

There were only two little things that bothered me. First was the fact that after encountering the parasites in the tunnel, they didn't take any weapons to defend themselves. Rob even used a crowbar to pry open the vending machine, but didn't take it to defend himself. The other part was when Hud died. The monster was standing over him, and Rob and Beth couldn't have been too far away. But after it eats Hud and drops his body, Rob and Beth run over to check on him (and get the camera), but the creature is nowhere to be seen. Did it just up and leave that quickly?

Now that I've seen the "what the hell is going on?!" perspective, I'd like to see the other side of the story. I think a traditional giant monster movie that answers our questions could be interesting. But at the same time, it wouldn't be very original, would it? ....Hell, I just want to see more of the monster.

Huh. I didn't catch that. Maybe that's because near the end of the credits some asshole in the audience shouted crap about the monster being Xenu and yelled stuff like "Damn you, Scientology! Damn you, Tom Cruise!", which (of course) got a laugh out of the audience.

14. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yah, that part has a lot of people confused. But SPOILER it isn't the monster; the monster has been down there for thousands of years and goes onland for the first time in the movie, hence why it stumbles around (or so I've heard). The most popular theory currently is something that was brought up in the ARG, namely a Japanese company called Tagruato losing contact with a satellite after it crashed in the Atlantic ocean. The same Tagruato who owned the wrecked tanker and who owned the Chuai Station, a station that DIDN'T drill for oil and was wrecked by the monster. Very interesting stuff; I hope the sequel is made like a real documentary and goes indepth with this angle, especially since Tagruato's soft drink Slusho has a secret ingredient that's basically a deep sea drug (food of the monster?). But then again, JJ Abrams could just be messing with our heads and leave all possibilities and explanations open to the audience. END SPOILER

Rather SPOILER "Help...Us...." in an unclear message, and when it's played backwards it says in a crystal clear way "It's still alive". So yah, sequel anyone? END SPOILER

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is that good or bad? :lol 

16. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    OOoo I so did not catch that....can't wait to go see it again! :thumbs2: 

17. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
    I can understand why some people love it, but I really didn't enjoy it. It made my wife motion sick, and just left too many questions. Great idea, meh execution.
    The previous is strictly my opinion.

18. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I just saw it an hour ago and I liked it. I hope that there is a sequal because there are ALOT of unanswerd questions. Everything about the monster was guess work with teh military. No answers to anything SPOILER:--> What was happening to the people that were bit by the creatures that came off of the monster?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  19. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    spoilers:

if they were bitten they literally exploded hence the army guy on the stretcher

spoilers:

Also a funny thing the cameraman's name was Hud and he was acting like a HUD (head's up display, HUD) :p 

20. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    That part with Hub just confused me as well. Giant monster eats your friend, partially at least. And you run over 30 seconds later to check on him? Did the monster just decide he didn't care enough to eat you? And why did the little ones suddenly stop dropping?

Dude, that was the best part. The girl got bitten and once the army swarmend her, I knew something was up. I didn't catch it when they said it the first time with them running past with the guy because he was so torn up, you just thought he was messed up. But no. The monsters biting you causes you to freaking explode! My theory is that a bite makes your blood pump faster and harder until the pressure makes you pop. That's probably why she got dizzy first. Then the blood was pumping so fast that it ruptured in her eyes and internally so she started caughing up blood. Then finally it was so bad, POP!