The "I've Seen Cloverfield" thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ra88, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Since the movie will be out tomorrow, I thought I'd go ago and make this thread in preparation.

Oh, and MARK YOUR SPOILERS, and preferably use the silver color tag as well. It would be nice to not spoil it for people who just want to know if the movie's good. We don't want another debacle like with the I Am Legend thread, do we? ;) 

It won't be released here until thursday next week (AARGH), so I'll start off with a spoilerfree review from Slashfilm.Com:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/01/16/cloverfield-review/

EDIT: Another review, this time from a fan. Best one I've read so far, very balanced of both the pro's and cons. There are slight spoilers in it though, but only slight.

http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23648

2. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    Yeah, I saw it about half an hour after you posted this. Loved it. Loved the Trek teaser trailer attached to it. Not going to spoil it or say anything, though... mostly because I'm up way too late atm and have to shower and get to bed for work in the morning... gah... up in 6 hours, I'm an old man :p 

3. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Very nice. BTW, was "that" scene with Clover/Mister Grumpy Pants as intense as they say it is (you know what I'm talking about ;) )?

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Tomorrow's my birthday and we were going to go see it, but instead we're going tuesday.:( 

I still can't wait.

5. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    I'm not sure; there are more than a few intense scenes. Pretty much anything with Clover in was intense. Cinema shook ^^ But there were a few standout scenes with the Big C... you'll know exactly what I mean when you see it.
    SPOILER!
    The bit outside the subway entrance, and the bit at Central Park at the end where ... I've forgotten the cameraman's name... has an up close and intimate session with Clover stand out. And Clover coming up out of the dust and rubble after being attacked towards the end... you'll know it when you see it... yeah. Was all good.

Exploding people!

6. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

yeah i liked it. i just dont think i could be bothered watching it more then once. why? cos i like info on my monsters not guesswork from a cameraman as he climbs up a stairwell following people.

if i did, i know the parts i would skip and what parts i would love to see again.

i might try it again later on, mainly cos Clover is a unique monster and his design is highly interesting.

7. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

I Cannot Wait To See This Movie!

8. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Aaaagh! Still weeks before it comes out over here.
    Damn, Damn, Damn!

9. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I still don't get what the appeal is for this movie.

It's just "Blair Witch" with a monster, nothing more.

10. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    I agree wholeheartedly. Blair Witch was perhaps the biggest disappointment in cinema history. All it was was a bunch of people running around with a camera, saying something about some witch, and the ending was just ass.

Cloverfield looks about the same, except the witch is a giant, rejected Tokusatsu/Kaiju monster. That doesn't appear AT ALL.

11. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

*Cough*

Erm, yeah. Sorry, but from what I heard, you see it a lot. Just not it's entire body all at once, appearantly. But you do get to see some....Let's just say rather nasty closeups.

12. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

Just because a couple of you guys "don't see what the draw to this movie is", doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of hype or that it won't be good. It isn't Blair Witch, because it's an entirely different story, told in an entirely different way. I recommend passing judgement only AFTER actually seeing the movie.

13. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

Okay that seals it. I was on the fence about going to the midnight showing tonight.

14. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    How? The whole movie is done in shakey-cam vision, like Blair Witch. Do you have any pics of the Cloverfield monster to prove me wrong? What does the monster actually LOOK LIKE, if he (or she, you never know with monsters these days) even appears at all?

15. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

I can't wait to see this. I still watch blair witch every now and then, it doesn't bug me that much.

16. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    AIM for the win. :) 

17. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:

"Anyone who thinks Cloverfield’s just a tease has it all wrong. The monster is there on the screen and he’s absolutely amazing to see."
    http://movies.about.com/od/cloverfield/fr/clover011708.htm

Are you going to stop demanding people prove you wrong for something that you yourself have no proof of or have even seen?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  18. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Well, I decided to do some research on the monster, and sure enough, a fellow board member managed to prove me wrong. The monster DOES show up, and more importantly, the monster looks SOOPER SWEET!

Alright, there you have it. I was wrong, everyone else was right. Start throwing bricks at me now, please.

19. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, now we have to figure out how long until the monster figures come out. Abrams did say that there was not going to be this contemporary toyline, but there would be stuff to satisfy people who are into collecting stuff like that, especially since this whole this is based off of him seeing Godzilla toys in Japan.

*edit*
    Here's the article: LINK

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  20. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Reeves has said in an interview that there's already a monsterfigure on the way, though he didn't mention when it will be released or by whom. I hope it'll be a 12 inch figure in any case. :D