The Incredible Hulk Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Rick_Coronel, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    You've hit on my biggest problem with the second movie. I disliked the major change in character of General Ross. Sam Elliot's Ross was a hard-nosed soldier who had relationship problems with his daughter, but he was at heart a decent man, who was disgusted by what David Banner had done. It was because of that that Ross distrusted Bruce Banner. Ross pursued the Hulk because he was dangerous, not out of a desire to exploit him.

Contrast that with William Hurt's version of Ross, who is far more villainous, and is interested in exploiting Banner and the Hulk. Whatever his motivation, he's a far more stereotypical power-mad general, who engages in military exercises against civilians, and engages in highly immoral experiments with a soldier under his command. I sympathized with Ross in the first movie, but not TIH.

He may be more accurate to the comics in Incredible Hulk. I don't know. But I didn't like the character at all.

2. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Well to be totally honest, and not to be rude, I was replying to "Witwicky Camaro's" post which seems to be a common complaint.

But I understand what your saying as well.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I had this complaint about the movie also, but its also stems from the fact that the movie is basicly an exact replica of the first but with different actors and no hulkdogs. Are Betty and Ross very important to the Hulk story? Yes, of course. But are they necessary elements of every movie? No, I don't think so.

And thats the problem with this movie in comparision to Lee's Hulk. This Hulk is not original in the slightest.

4. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    No problem.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got to agree with most of your points. Both Hulk movies have their strengths and weaknesses and I actually prefer the look of the Ang's Hulk - looks er, more "natural and neutral". The only thing that the 2nd movie got for me is the action! Its like a "comic-book" come to life - especially the part when Hulk and Betty were in the cave!

So you recognize the theme also? I thought I was imagining it when I heard it! The Hulk was probably the first superhero I grew up! LOL!

You do know that the Abomination and the Hulk talk right? Especially the Abomination! And he retains all of his human intellect despite his transformation. Here's some comic-book geek trivia - the Hulk and the Abomination are equal in strength. However, some writers/mythos have the Abomination stronger than the Hulk at "base level". In fact, the Abomination beat old Greenskin in their very first encounter...beating him up so bad that the other characters thought he was dead.

However, the Hulk has one advantage that the Abomination doesn't - his strength grows the angerier he becomes. So much so that it enables him to overpower the Abomination in most of their fights! :) 

6. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    I'm aware Hulk, specifically, speaks in the comic books, since he appears in other MARVEL titles. I've never actually read an Incredible Hulk comic book, so that information helps alot (concerning Abomination). That said, I can buy two hulking monsters talking because its in the comic book.

I just sorta facepalmed when Abomination started talking (just kinda knocked his level of menace down a bit for me) and Hulk paused to say "Hulk... Smash!!!" if only because the line sounded so... weak. I just a expected a wordless and gritty smackdown between these two monsters, is all.