The I Wish Fanstoys ________ Thread...

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by MpCollector81, Feb 27, 2016.

1. OrangeDraft

OrangeDraft Just another humble servant of Unicorn

Make Beast Wars. Anyone you like, just make them.

For G1, here my list: Cosmos, Tailbreaker, Hoist, Acid Storm, Sunstorm, Straxus, Bludgeon

2. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Add me to the legions of fans wanting a FansToys Skyfire. Since we know Takara ain't making one.

We know FansToys can handle, big, I want a scaled Skyfire, similar to Kronos, just made alot better, with the care I know FansToys can muster. It could be the Jewel of their releases, and they even hinted at it a year or 2 ago.

Please ... oh please oh please oh please oh please release a Skyfire FansToys ... please oh please oh please oh please!!!

[​IMG]

Scale should be something along these lines:

[​IMG]

3. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

I Wish Fanstoys __________

would reveal less
    and produce more

and seriously, Skyfire already.

4. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

Come out faster with their products.

That being said, I'm glad they take their time to make a quality product (almost all the time) instead of rushing crap out the door.

5. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

i'm happy with the direction FT has taken. way back in teh day i remember suggesting they do insecticons, refelctor, and perceptor! i do wish they'd give face sculpts more attention and give more accessories overall given their premium price points.

i do wish they'd give u a blaster too...not a rework of that proto but somethinig by todays standards.

6. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

How about a sword that Scoria can actually hold without having to angle his wrist. The rest of the Dinobots do not have this issue. Really annoying!

• Like Like x 1
  7. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'm tired of begging these mother fuckers for a Skyfire! Stop playing with my emotions

8. Skullhammer

Skullhammer Powermaster

I agree with improving the facesculpts...

9. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I agree with the better face/head sculpts...but I think I might agree with the quoted more. It's a bit of a turnoff how long it takes them to put stuff out. Why they have preorders a year and a half before releasing a figure doesn't make a whole lot of sense...other than trying to get you to invest in their release instead of the competition maybe.

10. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    I wish they'd:

* provide aftermarket alternate heads/faces for their earlier products. Their face sculpts have definitely improved lately, but a bunch of them are lackluster. The general consensus is that FT's faces are the weak links of otherwise great toys.

* Don't announce toys until they're scheduled to be produced. Some fans make purchasing decisions based on those announcements. If I'd held off on Kronos because I was banking on FT's Skyfire, I'd be pissed. (Not that Kronos was so great, but it definitely LOOKS good enough to work in my display). That's not to say you can't display designs and solicit opinions (e.g. "which of these do you, our customers, want to buy?"), but don't announce "this WILL be made" until you actually know WHEN it will be made.

* Consider abandoning the overuse of die-cast. I know, I know, they make things 'feel' more quality. Just like Beats By Dre headphones... the first-gen ones had additional metal parts that had no FUNCTIONAL use, just made them heavier so they "felt" more quality. Die cast makes toys more expensive to produce and ship and, aside from certain specific structurally important uses, add nothing to the toy's quality (and sometimes actively detract from it, since metal parts tend to wear out or break adjacent plastic parts).

* Don't EVER do anything janky like the whole Cloud 9 thing earlier. Look, you--like all other third party companies--exist in the realm of IP infringement. I'm not interested in you whining about 'infringement' upon your 'IP' which is itself an infringement of Has/Tak's. A brief recap: FT went to retailers and basically threatened them if they carried Quakeblast because it was a 'KO' of Quakewave. As it turns out, Quakeblast was designed BY QUAKEWAVE'S ORIGINAL DESIGNER with the intent of improving upon the design and aesthetics (which it did), and used NO shared parts. (Bear in mind that FT sold out multiple runs of that toy and made their money back plus tidy profits a WHILE ago. That logic is part of why Has/Tak doesn't go after 3ps more aggressively... they pretty much sell out every run of MP toys they make so they're not _losing_ anything as a result.) And on top of that FT pushed back production on new toys like Willis to reissue Quakewave to directly compete with it. That's boo-boo. Create your toys, sell them, pocket your profits, reinvest them, keep it moving. Don't try to strong-arm other 3p companies.

* Improve your transformation engineering. Directly comparing FT figures with other 3ps that directly compete, FT often has less elegant solutions. A perfect example is Grenadier with its ugly back kibble compared to the BadCube bugs... regardless of aesthetic preferences (they both have a different 'look'), I feel firmly like BC's is better DESIGNED. Same with Sever vs. Guttur... 'look' aside, Sever's transformation seems unnecessarily complicated in ways, and ends up with a less accurate robot mode (the back of his forearms) AND a less appealing dino mode. And the forthcoming not-Slag seems to be even more of a design upgrade over Scoria, which had crappy shoulders and hips (mine STILL has crappy shoulders and hips) and couldn't hold his sword right as well as an unsightly backpack to hide his entire tail.

That said, FansToys is a very solid third party TF producer and although I'm far from a 'fanboy' and I don't think they're automatically the front-runner with any figure they produce, there's no question they're always in the mix. MMC and BadCube are the only other companies I'd say are comparable when you factor in engineering, aesthetics and build quality. FansProject, TFC, XTB, KFC, and all the others either have less impressive looks, quality control, and/or transformations.

11. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

Wow. Tell us what you really think!;)  But agree with you. The likes of Maketoys and Badcube are keeping Fanstoys honest.

12. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

Quite a lengthy post, but I disagree with 80% of it. Rather than get into a nitpicky back and forth, I'm more curious to ask how you know it's true that the QW designer did QB. Is there a reference for that somewhere?

13. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    I wish they replaced TAKARA sometimes...

14. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

would make a figure that I want

15. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

Well all you have to do is buy one of their releases and not a Takara- so there you have it. Takara has been replaced. :) 

16. Bucket Head

Bucket Head -*-

I wish they (or anyone) would make the headmaster Squeezeplay. I had Warrior Priest turn one of my G1 squeezeplays into an Alien/TF combination. turned out pretty awesome! I'd like to give him the opportunity to do it with a 3rd party version!

bucket

17. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I have alway hated the forearm blade bullshit that sever sports. But Gutter's forearms are way too damn fat. Sever's transformation is awesome as hell, but yeah it does have its flaws in design. Those back feet floating in dino mode, wtf is up with that!! Still love that figure. Where the hell is my hole cover damn it

18. MpCollector81

MpCollector81 Banned

[​IMG]

He was blue/purple weird robotic awesomeness! Squeezeplay was my childhood favorite Headmaster. It would be cool to see him updated in MP fashion!

I tried to think about how he would play in a Transformers MOBA Game

[​IMG]
    Squeezeplay: Decepticon Saboteur Role: Warrior
    A raving, relentless one-robot wrecking crew with needle sharp armor piecing claws- capable of crushing with immense pressure. Binary-Bonded to Nebulon Loko- a crafty smuggler and criminal- the dim-witted, animalistic Deception is now a balance of brains and brawn. Armed with an Overrider Rifle which fries electrical circuitry- Squeezeplay packs a punch. Particularly adept at underwater sabotage- while he may not be powerful enough to take down the immense Dinobot like Sludge, or Grimlock- he is certainly stupid/brazen enough to make the attempt!
    HEADMASTER (Passive): Whenever Squeezeplay transforms, his Headmaster Loko charges into battle, prioritizing the closest enemy! If Squeezeplay is not under attack, Loko waits for an attacker before striking.
    CRASH/BASH: Activate to perform quick charge ending with a double clawed slashing strike. If the target is stunned, Squeezeplay will take advantage of their weakness- gripping them tightly in his claws and perform a Thrash attack! Crash/Bash can be used on enemy towers for bonus damage!
    THE OVERRIDER: Contrary to Squeezeplay's preference for violent melee combat- while in robot mode- Loko uses his finesse to gun down the target from a safe distance. Performing a nimble strafe as he fires. Use this to escape combat and return to the protection of nearby water.
    MURKY DEPTHS/TAKE DOWN: Squeezeplay gains bonus armor and movement speed with moving through water. This ability can be activated to perform a takedown-this ends the buff but allows him to drag his target away from safety for a few seconds.
    CRUSH!: Squeezeplay transforms and becomes enraged- during this time he armor rating slowly depletes as his damage amplifies. He locks onto a single target and attempts to crush them to death. If he is successful- the ability's cooldown is reduced-preparing him for his next sinister infiltration.

Like all Headmasters, Squeezeplay benefits from the extra damage of his companion Loko- and when engaged in battle his damage output can be greatly underestimated. Squeezeplay was built for underwater operations and gains bonuses when submerged. On maps that provide a watery environment- use this benefit access enemy encampments and wrestle control of rally points. Crush! is very effective at decimating an unwary Scout- or holding a Warrior class at bey while your team takes the victory. While he is a warrior class- combining The Overrider and Crush! can make for effective hit and run play style. Squeezeplay can be played aggressively with terrifying effectiveness- but due to his slow land speed, he can be overwhelmed if the player becomes too confident. Like Squeezeplay/Lokos relationship the secret is knowing when strike and when to retreat.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  19. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter

....Would knock out a trypticon roughly twice as big as grinder so I can stage the epic dinobot v trypticon fight scene from the Marvel G1 comic.

Yeah, like that's gonna happen :cry 

20. merphul

merphul Well-Known Member

eh, let's not start one of those discussions again as we go over this on pretty much every 3P thread.

However, it should be pointed out that IP "theft" and "infringement" is hardly a black and white issue and people tend to use the same words or terms to mean different things which just makes it even more muddled. On top of that too often people conflate the use of a likeness with straight up knock offs.

All 3Ps are stepping on Hastak's toes, but HasTak apparently has no issues selling out their wholesale runs to retailers, so the amount of "harm" doesn't seem significant. But does a 3P have rights to their own designs? Sure, just because they are capitalizing on a popular character doesn't mean they didn't put a ton of work into the toy.

argh, wandered too far into this than I really wanted to, but I think this is all valid food for thought, no matter where in the spectrum your position is.

But seriously... all faces, faces, faces and an altered Scoria sword, everything else I can chalk up to design decisions.