The "I have seen DOTM" Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by VaderPrime1, Jun 25, 2011.

1. DannoOMG

DannoOMG Member

Could someone tell me when in the movie did BumbleBee split from Sam and end up getting captured? I never saw it.

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sam goes off running and says something like "Bumblebee is going to meet up with the other Autobots" then we see that they've all been captured. We don't actually see them get captured though.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    FBI actually, but yes. It gets mentioned briefly.

So much the pity. A scene showing the Autobots getting captured would have been nice - especially since you know it would have been something like cornered humans - Barricade and the others have them at gunpoint. Soundwave demands they drop their weapons and they'll let the humans go. Bumblebee and the others do as they're told. Barricade motions for the humans to go - then the other Decepticons use them as target practice as they run away. They let the humans go after all - they just didn't let them live.

4. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    There is enough time for him to get captured though ,since after Sam killed Starscream ,we saw that huge con ship sucking all smaller ships into itself .He was probably captured during that scene.So not really an error,but it would have been nice to see how bots got captured

5. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

6. TigerClaw

TigerClaw Autobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Just seen a DOTM a little while ago, It was definitely 10x better then the 2nd movie, Plus the 3D was great.

Its gonna be interesting to find out where they go from here, Will they reboot it or continue within that universe?

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just got back from seeing it and I have mixed feelings. Just random thoughts, no real order:

- It was about a half hour too long. And, much as it was a cool sequence, I think they could have trimmed that half hour out of the Chicago battle. The Chicago battle just went on and on and, by about 3/4 of the way through it, I was starting to feel overwhelmed by the constant barrage of noise.
    - Just how constantly loud and frenetic the movie was, in general. There's very little time taken for pauses in the action or breathing space between one big sequence and the next. While the humor was overdone in RotF, it at least provided some degree of a break from stuff smashing together and the battles.
    - All complaints about the noise aside, the CGI is incredible and these were some amazing battle sequences.
    - I think the story in this one was the weakest of the trilogy. While it didn't have some of the problems of RotF (too much humor, disappearing characters), the plot felt much thinner and a lot less cohesive. I realize the story isn't the main point of these movies, and I don't expect much, but this felt a lot more thrown together than the last one...and RotF's script wasn't as polished because of the writer's strike.
    - The humor that did make it through was actually fairly good.
    - Laserbeak was handled well, though not sure I like his "turning into everything" power. Granted, previous films have shown that TFs can reformat alt modes on the fly in this continuity (Frenzy).
    - Sentinel Prime was great and Leonard Nimoy did an excellent job on the voice work.
    - Some of the chronology of the Chicago battle could have been handled better. Optimus gets tangled up in the wires and hangs there for like 15 minutes while the Wreckers rescue him, Bumblebee and the others get captured in just a few seconds, Prime makes a big deal about losing the jet rig in his trailer and then gets it back off-camera a few minutes later, etc.

Not going to go on forever with little nitpicks, but this film left me the least satisfied out of all three in the trilogy. The battle scenes were cool, but went on too long, with too much noise and smashing stuff around, and they became overwhelming by the end of the 2.75 hours. I do intend to go it once more in the theatres, but not sure if I'll see it three times, like I have for the other two movies.

8. The Ramjet

The Ramjet Get. Out.

Saw the movie this morning, enjoyed it waaaay more than ROTF, still has plot holes and some bad things about it but it was a huge amount of fun. Not sure if I think it's better than the first though.

Some random thoughts :

Optimus Prime's trailer was sweet looking both in vehicle and weapons platform mode but ultimately it was wasted. We see it transform once and then nothing else. Not even a badass Prime linking up with the jetpack scene? Maybe they thought it'd be too much like the Jet-Prime sequence in ROTF? No idea.

Rosie was nice to look at, but I thought her acting was pretty poor. I thought Shia did a pretty good job in this one, he wasn't stuck in NONONO mode all the time, like it felt he was in ROTF.

I feel sorry for anyone who was looking forward to seeing Shockwave tearing shit up. He looked fantastic, but in the end was nothing more than the red herring to cover up the movie's main bad guy, Sentinel Prime. I have no idea why it took him so long to rip that parachute off his head either.

Optimus was a total badass. I have no problem with him going ballistic on the Decepticons in this movie after all the crap that goes down. Thought Cullen did a really fantastic job voicing him here, lots of emotion. Wish we could get some of this in TF : Prime's Optimus.

Ironhide's death. I knew it was coming having been spoiled before hand, but it was still shocking to watch and looked extremely brutal, especially the rusting away part. He has been one of my faves since the first movie so I was sad to see him go, especially after the awesome mexican standoff scene. I would have loved to see him fight in the Chicago finale too, but his death did what it set out to do : provide an emotional moment and cement Sentinel as a complete asshole villain.

I also really think Ironhide should have been mentioned post death at some point in the movie. Even one line by Optimus or Ratchet or anyone would have helped. But no. Really stupid omission there IMO. Prime's best friend being killed by his old mentor would have been a great angle to build on, but it's just ignored. Shame.

Que/Wheeljack dying was pretty cold too. I didn't really get a feel for the character since he didnt do much of anything, but it was still a nasty execution scene.

Sideswipe was a joy to see on screen again. Loved his part in the mexican standoff, and that close up of his face was awesome. He seemed to be commanding the Autobots during the Chicago battle too. Dino/Mirage didn't do that much but looked awesome, love the design and the car mode.

Definitely could have used some more Megatron screen time, though I did enjoy the vicious beatdown he gives Sentinel at the end. He looked cool when he wore the tarp over his head.

Sentinel was a great villain, voiced perfectly by Nimoy and looked fantastic on screen. It was very satisfying when Optimus puts those two rounds into him at the end of the movie.

So yeah, overall I enjoyed it. I've enjoyed all three of these movies, even though there are things I think could have been better about them and even with ROTF being a huge clusterfuck of a movie.

Oh and BTW, Igor rules. ;) 

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I found this to be the perfect transformers movie, not on story because there is no such thing, but on the structure of it, how it managed to have cool fights, robots all around, charactrerizations and story.

I loved the shit out of this movie, DOTM is the standard for a perfect tf movie, it's on pair with the first in my opinion.

My only letdown about this movie was that it ended. I mean, both the 2007 movie and ROTF had stingers [SS escaping on 2007 andd SS and Megs escaping on ROTF], but on this movie? It's borderline impossible to find a big stinger.

I think they should stick to this universe, though, reboot things now would be bad idea in my opinion, people would still be too connected to Bayformers.

10. sharpy39

sharpy39 Sharpius Prime

News Credits:
  11. sharpy39

sharpy39 Sharpius Prime

News Credits:
    Plus... Biggest thread ever?

12. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    This movie was garbage. If Cyberton is in Earth's orbit, Earth would lose it's own orbit, thus killing everyone. Nice plan, guys.

13. Overlord Balder

You forget what Sentinel said: "Your principles of light and gravity are not able to explain the logic of a Space Bridge" [or something of that effect].

People should always remember THAT line.

14. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    So, they can transport a PLANET made of metal that doesn't effect gravity. OK...

15. Overlord Balder

It's pretty much that, Space Bridges are things beyond all possible human technology, and according to Sentinel, they can bend the laws of physics very easily so it's not much of a stretch.

16. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    That was actually mentioned in the novel by Carly, to which Dylan says "they've got it sorted" or something, but honestly I think that Earth would be torn apart and Sentinel etc don't care. I mean the Decepticons have ships so they can transport all the humans to Cybertron to act as their slave labour force whilst Earth is torn apart

17. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Saw it today, loved it!

18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

You do realize that you are applying laws of physics to space transforming robots that already defy said laws of physics by existing?

19. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout In Existential Crisis Mode

News Credits:
    *moved from the wrong thread to the right spot*

I suppose I should share my own thoughts, now that I've had two days to digest the film.

I think the best thing I can say is, I'm eager for a second helping.

While Dark of the Moon may not have been firing on all cylinders all of the time, it still managed to get me from point A to point B in a satisfying - not to mention ridiculously cool - way.

*POTENTIAL SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT*

Unlike the previous two films, I didn't get the same nagging feeling that there were serious shortcomings and/or holes in the plot. Sure, I can spend plenty of time deconstructing the movie and probably find a whole host of things to complain about (Cybertron's appearance in Earth's orbit having no gravitational effect on our planet being perhaps the most egregious example) but I could do the same for a whole host of better movies if I really tried. At the end of my viewing experience I didn't find myself contemplating any of these potential problems and was wholly satisfied by my two-and-a half hours of robot-on-robot carnage.

On the whole, the story was rather effective - simple and straight-forward but with a solid, character-driven through-line. I can't fathom those reviews out there that are calling this movie "heartless" or "soulless". Sam's relationship with Carly, for one, was way more realistic, meaningful, and heartfelt than his relationship with Mikaela. Looking back on it now, I think the plot was only strengthened by bringing in a new character as Sam's love interest. While Rosie's acting may not have been anywhere near Oscar-caliber, I found her performance perfectly satisfactory and her character far more charming and likeable than Mikaela's.

There's not much I can say about the effects except to mention that they were, as usual, top-notch. I would definitely recommend at least one 3D viewing experience, even for those who are at odds with the medium.

I was happy to see that the Autobots and Decepticons had some actual characterization, drama, and pathos this time around. Sentinel Prime was absolutely brilliant, even if the big twist surrounding his character was a bit abrupt and a bit devoid of foreshadowing. I loved Megatron's transition from ruler of the Decepticon army to homeless vagrant desperately seeking to regain his former glory and I only wish more time could have been devoted to his character's progression in the movie. Shockwave, on the other hand, was a disappointment. I would have been happier, and it would have been much more effective for his screen presence, if he had actually engaged Optimus in Chernobyl. Otherwise, everyone had something to do this time, as opposed to the purely background set pieces that the Autobots became in Revenge, and the deaths - even for characters with little screentime and presence - was effectively shocking, even heart-breaking in one particularly cruel instance.

Final score: 8/10.
    It'd be higher if Shockwave was more of a screen presence, the plot-development scenes had been a bit shorter, and there had been a few more transitional scenes during the Chicago battle. The prisoner camp and Megatron's reappearance before talking to Carly are the two most prominent examples. At the same time, I never felt the film was dragging in the same way as the last one, so those two-and-a half hours just zoomed by.

20. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    Yeah, but this was beyond stupid. Earth has a magnetic core, Cyberton would almost instantly crash into the Earth, also killing the dumb robots that came up with the plan.