The "I got stuck" thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by transtrekkie, May 20, 2014.

1. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

This is for times when you played a game and messed up so bad that you were so stuck that you had to turn off the system and start again.

Example: I was playing the original Legend of Zelda one time and I was in a room with stairs in the middle and blocks around it. The door I came in had shut and didn't open back up when the enemies were killed. And I accidentally moved the block to the right, blocking my access to the stairs. So, I couldn't go down the stairs, couldn't go back the way I came and couldn't die. There was no other choice but to restart because there was no way out.

So has this ever happened to anyone else? Not just Zelda, but ANY game?

2. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Many, many, times. I had to restart one the Final Fantasy GB titles from the beginning because I got stuck in an area without the tool that lets you break walls. I broke the wall, using up the item, then saved and quit a few screens later. When I restarted, it spawned me in the room with the breakable wall, but without the item.

3. transtrekkie

I was playing Shadowgate this weekend and got stuck several times because the items I needed to proceed had either already been used or in areas that I couldn't reach yet. Turns out things have to be done in a very specific order in that game.

4. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, where you have to bring down the Star Destroyer, while trying to fend off TIE Fighters.

Ty The Tamanian Tiger; the beginning robot battle at the very start.

5. transtrekkie

Were these parts where you couldn't continue because you didn't have the necessary items/power ups/whatever and the game wouldn't let you continue or just really difficult?

Also: Love the sig!

6. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

The doors won't open even after I shot them (game mechanics had you shoot doors so they open), which made me just give up.

7. AgentAlabama113

AgentAlabama113 Wily Old Buzzard

Oh heck yes. Still stuck on that.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter. Still stuck on the part where you have to snipe all of those RPGers before they blow up the chopper.

8. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Don't think I've ever had a game that forced me to completely restart.

Closest I ever came was fighting the Barbarian in God of War 2 on Titan mode. It took me two years of playing on and off to finally beat him.

Currently though, I'm stuck on one last Arkham City Riddler trophy in Amusement Mile. I know how to get it, just can't do it.

9. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    Need For Speed Underground 2. Messed up my 240sx so badly I couldn't do anything but lose races over and over. All for a stupid Skyline. I restarted but just gave up since I didn't feel like putting that same time and effort into the game.

10. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I got stuck in Twilight princess water temple.

11. Tytus

Tytus Well-Known Member

That one was frustrating. Jabu Jabu's Belly in Oracle of Ages was pretty rough too.

12. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Zelda: LTTP

First palace in the dark world, I unlocked a door I wasn't supposed to open yet. I think I was supposed to go unlock the door that lead to the hammer first. Spent like a half hour or so looking for an extra key, but I couldn't find one. Had to restart. That was the only game that needed to be restarted because I couldn't proceed.

13. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Oh, Just difficult at the time, so much that I've never returned to those games because of how annoying I remember the part being; same could go when I played the Incredibles game when it came out and I could never shoot down the helicarrier in like the 4th level, when I did, the robot boss was what finally stopped me.

Also thank you.

14. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Demon Souls

Intimidated me into fetal position by the second level.

15. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    There's been a lot of times (typically in Metroid/Zelda games) where I've thought I did something wrong and gotten into a no-win situation, but then it turned out I could in fact keep going because I simply overlooked something. The few times I actually do get stuck and can't possibly progress any is always due to an odd glitch or me intentionally breaking the game's intended bounds (where needing to reset is always a risk).

16. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    Yeah I'm playing that game now tis a beast surely.

17. transtrekkie

Well I was referring more to instances where it's actually impossible to continue the game, either because needed items are used and permanently gone, or sometimes just out of sheer stupidity (like my Zelda example. Seriously, I must be the only who's ever trapped themselves like that in that game), but I guess we could throw difficulty to the point of lost interest as well.

So let's see, first up I would cite Star Trek: Shattered Universe for PS2. I got to the end (at least I think it was the end) battle and no matter what I did, I just could not get past it. I think it was one of those levels where you have to defend something for a certain period of time, but the thing you're defending has no health bar so you don't know until you lose whether you're losing or not. Several of the TF movie games, Limbo, even though I have beat it, makes me lose interest on occasion.

Oh and Death Spank, Thongs of Virtue. This is an example of where I actually had to restart the entire game. Yeah, not console, GAME. I got the end with final battle with Santa Clause and couldn't beat him because I needed the earmuffs you get for killing Rudolph. I had accidentally destroyed them and thus couldn't defend against Santa's "Sonic Mirth" attack. And Rudolph wouldn't respawn so I had to start over again.

18. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really play games where you can just completely screw yourself but I have gotten myself very lost and confused a few times. :lol 

Such as:

3D Dot Game Heroes in the Fire Temple which looking back at it is silly since it's a very simple switch puzzle. I got very turned around and just couldn't get out so I reset to get the switches to their default configuration. Switch puzzles along with warp panels are my undoing.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess in Yeto's mansion, I couldn't find the key buried in the snow so I wandered through the dungeon for hours before giving up completely until a few years later when I decided to play the Gamecube version.

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Zelda... the 3D remake on 3DS... the Ocarina of Time? Anyways I'm stuck in the water temple thing. Wandering back and forth... might contemplate a complete restart but I still have many more games on the 3DS to play.

Generally I only get stuck on handheld games, because I consider them to be time fillers I kind of expect them to be easier or signposted more than full console games.

Full console games I'll stick with and beat, handhelds I get frustrated and stop playing. Weird.

20. solusprime19

solusprime19 Disney, Dat knee

Super Metroid
    The usual "why can't Metroid jump?" scenario. Where are those freaking bombs man!?
    Sonic 3
    The barrel. You already know what I'm talking about.