The "I am too f***ing POOR to go to Botcon :( " thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    *runs up* Hisssss!!! *runs away*

2. Tomiku

Tomiku black repaint fetishist

WAY too poor. Even if I could manage to scrape up enough to go, it'd be torture 'cause I wouldn't be able to buy anything while there.

And as it is, I'm trying to save up for another con...

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    This is actually the first year I have enough extra cash to easily afford to go. In past years, I had to play with my budget and sell stuff. However, I have more important things to spend the money on and not quite enough to spend it on all of them. Last thing I need to do is put the con in there amongst the necessities. I'll drive up on Saturday and do a walk in general admission. If it were farther away, it would be a no go AT ALL for me.

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    *raises hand*

5. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    If I went it would be more to hang out, meet people from the boards and drink than buy tons of TF figures (since I can hunt them from here and don't have to worry about checking them in at the airport when I go home). I still haven't been to a Botcon yet (I did hit a TF expo in Canada a few years ago though) and I do plan on going to one within the next few years.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is the first (probably only) year since I started going that Botcon is close enough for me to try commuting to the con. I'll be trading hotel costs for gasoline costs.

7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I usually don't have enough money to go to Botcon, hence why I've never been. I was actually planning on going last year, since I can easily drive to RI and save money, but my daughter was being born right around the same time, so I had to scrap the idea. Oh well, maybe one year.

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have not heard anything since i last posted in regards to news of America moving closer to me.

the KA is not pleased with your apparent lack of progress.

9. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I mailed you the other end of this rope. My end is still slack, tied around a rock.

10. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

This will be the first year I will have to miss BotCon since... wow, I can't remember.

So of course, I'll be logged in here the whole time BotCon is going on to be up on the latest and greatest that I will be missing.

11. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    A totally different injoke, but a classic one nonetheless. :lol 

And the flight to/from BotCon alone? Sets me back around $800 each year,and still I do it, even if it sets me deep in debt..... it's worth it!

12. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love to go, and this is probably the closest it's going to be to me for awhile (unless it's in Philly, in which case I...might be able to go if I have enough money) but I won't ever go if I have to fly or drive really far. So unless it's here in Pittsburgh ever (yeah right), or Philly I doubt I'm ever going to one.

Sounds like a lot of fun though.

13. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

I'm considering attending in 2009, where Transformers 2 information will be abundant and Universe 2 molds will be available as exclusives, such as Red Alert and Smokescreen/Silverstreak.

2008 is an off-year.

14. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

Hey how are you BballJONES? Anyway that bit about using classics molds to make con exclusives of established characters must be a joke or an invitation to let the crying Begin. That will never happen again.

15. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I could afford it, but I don't care for the long trip. If I can't drive the distance in a reasonable amount of time, I won't be going.

16. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    This!

17. noob_collection

noob_collection noob at collecting

it is great for me since i'm in michigan but i'm not sure my parents would be up to driving me, plus the cost of exclusives and other cool merchandise from botcon, it would be way to pricey.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    One of the reasons I won't be able to attend for a while is that I'll also be using what vacation time/money we have for a vacation Lisa and I both would go on to rest, etc. We'll be going on vacation for our wedding anniversary as well in June (year #4 for us; W00T!).

While she is off for the summer (she is a special education teacher), I do not have the summer off from work (though I do from grad school). I do get two weeks of [unpaid, scheduled] vacation, though. :) 

Another reason for me is that what expendable cash I may have on anything TFs essentially allows me to get TFs themselves. Right now, I'm trying to save for the new BTs, [possible] Road Bots, a MP-6 (possibly a MP-3), and Classics. While I'm definately not saying that TFs are worth more than meeting and hanging out with my friends I've made here, part of the Botcon experience for me is to have access to purchasing TFs that I'm unable to have good access to during non-Botcon times. Self-discipline is a good thing :) 

All of that being said, I'd like to be able to go back to Botcon someday down the road (as well as CybCon). I've only been to the one in 2001 and had a blast. That was before I knew anyone else from within the fandom as well.

19. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well put :) 

20. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never say never.

I'd say in 2009 they're almost guaranteed to do exactly this. It's just very unlikely that Hasbro will repaint that mold 500 times to give us all the original cars. And I doubt FP cared about all the whining - it was the first set to ever sell out, and people bitched because they didn't make more. They'd know more going in next time, and be able to sell even more box sets.

So yeah, I definitely expect '09 to be another "classics booster" type of set.

Of course, it'd be interesting to see what they'd do with an Animated set. But I don't really have any urge to see them all painted up like random G1 characters (Prowl as Groove, Starscream as other seekers, Earth Megs as Highbrow, whatever).