The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eyeballkid, Dec 4, 2009.

1. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Never said I was Eriku. I was simply stating what everyone is all ready thinking about as it relates to the people who've gone to the screenings who are complaining about the new format.

2. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    I wasn't thinking that. I can understand completely why people might not like it. It's just a matter of different tastes, not intelligence.

3. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    So how was it, anyone who's seen it?

4. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    I did. SAdly I dont understand filming formats or anything but what I saw in the big screen, 2d btw, was really REALLY good! :D  I mean, the CGI looks real, no fuzzy images, well coreagraphy, amazing creatures, you name it! :D 
    And the soundtrack, my god!
    I do wnna say that is pointlessto compare this new trilogy with the first LOTR movies. Yes, I know "the Hobbit" is a prequel but the spirit is quite different, is not the same rhtym or the same ..how to say it right?--well,you will see when you see it. ^^
    Its really going to be hard to wait to the next movie. XD I aint going to say anything because I dont wanna use the spoiler tag right now. :p  Just that this was the perfect way to finish such great movie year! :D 

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

You absolutely were being insulting and condescending, I suggest knocking it off.

6. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I have a friend who a die-hard Tolkien fanatic to the point that he almost knows all of his books line by line.

He was at the premier yesterday and he said that it was awesome, and that they combined all of the aspects od both the Hobbit and Tolkien's other works really well.

So if he liked it I will probably too :D 

7. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    One of the reviews from a local paper here complained that the movie doesn't go anywhere and stays to close to the book. :lol 

They also praised the Rankin/Bass cartoon for getting the whole story told in such a short amount of time.

8. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    what? XD Critics, dont you just love them? XD

9. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
  10. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    Just saw it last night. Saw the high framerate version and it's pretty much like watching a blu ray on my high refresh rate HDTV. I agree it makes things a little more 'fake'. Folks been calling it the "Soap Opera Effect". Though, it kinda got me thinking of the old BBC Narnia series. Gonna have to see the standard framerate version some time for comparison.

My biggest complaint was...
    Storm giants... in the book they were a freakin metaphor for the weather. Here they gave us actual storm giants.

Other than that and a few things being over the top goofy, I felt it was pretty good. Kept to the spirit of the book, even though it added a few things (which I didn't mind). Oh and Kili and Fili are awesome!

11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I was impressed with the 48fps, with the 3d, sometimes you felt like you were actually there. It just takes a little getting used to at first.

12. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

Just got back from seeing the 1st part of The Hobbit Trilogy and I must admit it drags its feet initially but once the film gets its act together its off and running. I'm guessing that the areas where it seemed to drag for me will be attended to with the Extended Edition.

13. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    I dunno. With the 48fps on this movie and any movies watched on an HDTV with motion interpolation, the sense of scale and depth just isn't there. Sure the picture and motion is hella crisp, but it kinda makes it obvious that the actor is standing on a set or in front of a matte painting (Seriously. When the dwarves see Rivendell from a distance, I was thinking "It's only a model"). And also, which is something I have also observed with watching the LOTR trilogy on my TV, the beautiful sweeping helicoptor shots of New Zealand kinda lose their epicness.

14. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

Saw it this morning. I loved it! :D 

The film does not deserve the panning it's getting from critics. Clearly too many of them went into the movie expecting it to be like the Lord of the Rings. It's not like LOTR and it's not supposed to be. If you go in expecting it to be its own thing, then you'll thoroughly enjoy the film.

15. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Saw it. Would have gone back in to see it again straight away. Even after almost three hours in that (horrible, slightly sticky) chair.

Easily one of the most fun films I've seen in years.

To put it into perspective - Lord of the Rings was a film (or book) for adults that kids could fall in love with, whereas the Hobbit is a film (or book) for children that adults can fall in love with. And I did.

I wanted to see it in HFR, but upon arriving at the theatre was told that the projector was not working, so saw it in standard 24fps 2d instead. But good lord. I'm going again this weekend.

In terms of some of the common criticisms, the section from bag end to rivendell does seem a little bit long (but not massively so) and the CG was okay in standard frame rate (although the Pale Orc was disapointing CG wise - and I suspect a late addition, a bit like Aragorn's Troll from RotK).

It's much less serious than LotR (as it should be), and criticisms that it feels like nothing is achieved are understandable, but IMO unfair. It's the first leg of a journey. The climactic payoff isn't necessarily an action sequence, or a plot achievement - it's an emotional, character payoff on Bilbo's behalf.

16. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Just got back from seeing the Hobbit. I've been waiting to see this movie since I walked out of Return of the King in 2004, and was so very happy to see that Peter Jackson finally returned to direct it.

I am honestly disappointed by what I saw.

I am certain that Tolkien's story could have been told in that three-hour time block. Jackson managed to fit each book of the Lord of the Rings into a three hour sitting, and very well. Sure, he made changes for the sake of translating the trilogy to film, but for the most part I could understand his reasoning and it didn't deter my enjoyment of the movie.

In the case of the Hobbit, I really do believe Jackson went way overboard with trying to flesh out the story and set up the Lord of the Rings. There can be too much of a good thing, and I think the Hobbit exemplifies this perfectly.

I wanted to like it, I really did. But at the two hour mark, boredom was starting to settle in, and the more things I saw Jackson playing around with, the less interested I was. Yes, I know that a literal translation of the book might not make for a great movie - and Jackson showed that in the Fellowship of the Ring. He hit all the necessary highlights, and cut out things that weren't absolutely necessary, or shifted them around in a way that didn't seem totally out of place.

I am a great fan of J.R.R. Tolkien, and I have enjoyed reading all the appendices to the Lord of the Rings, as well as the Silmarillion, and the other related material. I really don't feel that there was a pressing need to incorporate that into the tale of Bilbo Baggins and company.

I'll probably watch it again once it hits Blu-Ray, and hopefully the second viewing will not be as bad as the first. But, really - I believe Jackson could have told the story with only one movie.

For me, the old animated Hobbit movie will still remain the standard. Hearing John Huston's Gandalf recite the poem of Smaug's attack on Lonely Mountain is still a joy to hear, and I can still feel the remnants of the very real terror I experienced as a six year old when the goblins seize the dwarves from the the cave . And when I think of dragons, the animated Smaug is the first beast that comes to mind. I can still hear him boasting of his prowess to Bilbo if I close my eyes and think on it.

Examples:

The Hobbit - Goblins!

The Hobbit - Smaug

I'm sure that many people will enjoy this movie - that seemed to be the general consenus among people that were in the theater with me. I hope it does very well, and that everyone who wants to see it will enjoy it. I just won't be one of those people, unfortunately.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  17. Mutt12

Mutt12 Starroid Raider

Ebay:
    One minor quibble is they cut short Gollum's time riddle. During the scene, I was mouthing the words as he was speaking them and all the sudden was thinking "Wait... where's the 'slays king, ruins town, and beats high mountain down!' part?"

18. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I noticed that too. Didn't help my impression - would have made the riddle game better...

19. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    The Hobbit is an incredible movie! Screw the critics. They're dead wrong about this one.

20. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I really wanna see this movie but I know I will have to wait till it comes out on dvd. The theater costs an arm and leg to go see so dvd for me which I know will be a long time from now.