The Harley Quinn show

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by UltraAlanMagnus, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

So comes it out Friday

• Like Like x 2
  2. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First episode is out now. I am unsure about all the rather grizzly violence, but there are some great jokes in there, particularly nervous wreck coffein addicted Jim Gordon, and the VA's are spot on for most characters. I also love the realistic way they treat living in Gotham, like how the Arkham guards berate that poor kid for bringing a cactus to his dad (Calendar Man, who apparently cannot remember his own son's birthday) because Poison Ivy might use it to escape... :p 
    Harley and Ivy especially work well together, there are some scenes harking back to the TAS episodes where they teamed up. Apparently in this universe, Harley even diagnosed Ivy back when she was still a psychologist.
    Riddler's choice-riddle was great too, and proved the same thing Mad Love did - the Joker really does not care about Harley but he could not exist without Batman.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. It did exactly what I figured they would do, except for the over the top violence.
    First episode was C- at best.

4. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Okay, watched the first episode of this.

Not entirely sure how to feel.

On one hand, I'm glad they aren't trying to sell her as a hero or anti-hero--she's a villain striking out on her own to take Joker's top spot as the most feared villain in Gotham. However, the violence was extreme and often unsettling or just gross (Joker kills a guy and wears his face as a mask--yeah, no, sorry, that doesn't feel like Joker to me). And then, the outfit change. I get it. The classic Harley outfit is tied to the Joker, there's a lot of baggage there and if she wants to separate herself from him she needs a new outfit*. But I hate the new outfit--er, the old new outfit? Whatever. That they defaulted to whatever that is instead of trying to do something more creative doesn't give me confidence.

*for the record, I don't necessarily agree with this, but that's blatantly what they were trying to say with the change.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    So... interesting but not great so far is my take away. Violence was pretty over the top (this toon is obviously not for kiddies) and I'm not a fan that Joker seems to be more based on his N52 face wearing version... BUT at least they aren't trying to go for the anti-hero angle the comics have been doing. All in all, it was a serviceable episode but I feel like some of the choices just aren't to my taste. Too much N52 garbage infecting modern DC shows, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  6. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought it was hilarious (although some things I probably shouldn't be laughing about). Good start to the series, looking forward to more.

Favorite moments of the episode:

"I ate an orange and $#!+ out a seed." (one of the ones that shouldn't be funny)
    Joker/Riddler rivalry. "Screw that guy!"
    Harley kicking the thugs asses at the end.
    Inner Harley (Harleen) speaking to Harley.

Least fave moment:

Any scene with Gordon in it. (I'm not too thrilled about how they're portraying him but it makes more sense when they referenced The Killing Joke. Still, something I'll probably have to get used to)

jD001

• Like Like x 2
  7. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watched it. Laughed my ass off. Can't wait for more. It's a vastly different take on DC animated shows and, frankly, quite refreshing.

• Like Like x 3
  8. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I hate the New 52 outfit too, but the comics and the movie and even the Arkham games have made most of the younger audiences think that is how Harley looks. Even the previous DC Superhero girls show used a version of that, and that is a show for little girls! So sadly the outfit is likely to stay.

• Like Like x 2
  9. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    gonna be honest.....

i love it

it was over the top in every way. characterization, violence, everything. i thought sassy best friend ivy would annoy me but it was actually funny. calendar man had great moments the joker/riddler rivalry was funny and harley was funny. i had some actual laugh out loud moments with this one. i can't wait to see more of the villain rejects coming and i can't wait to see more of this show. this was great to me.

• Like Like x 5
  10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The problem with this show is, and I say this having only watched the preview, is Kaley Cuoco's voice acting. All I hear is Penny cursing. It's a little off-putting for me.

11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    The last person that watches cartoons from DC or ever wants to see more of Harley Quinn is me, but I can't lie, this has my attention. I've watched all the little featurettes about it and think it looks legit hilarious. Will definitely give it a peek.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  12. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i thought that at first but honestly you just forget it's her

13. janeDoe001

News Credits:
    I know her from 8 Simple Rules and it didn't even come up in my head.

jD001

14. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it's like that with anything animated...when i watch the incredibles i don't think of the show coach or pulp fiction

• Like Like x 1
  15. GamerSlyRatchet

GamerSlyRatchet Well-Known Member

See, I never watched The Big Bang Theory, so I never even had that problem. She sounded fine, but Lake Bell and Alan Tudyk are the real standouts. Plus, it's nice hearing Bader again as Batman.

• Like Like x 4
  16. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Btw, new episode is out. Well, at least on torrents. I dunno if officially too. My country is not getting any of these new streaming channels and even if it did... I have been torrenting stuff for decades, not gonna stop now. :p 

I never even realized that was her... than again, I stopped watching around season 3 and tried my best to erase all memory of what Diamanda Hagan calls "Nerd equivalent of blackface" comedy show from my mind.

17. janeDoe001

News Credits:
    Watching it now. :thumb :thumb :thumb 
    at the part where the kids are effected by Poison Ivy's potion.

jD001

18. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    What happens at that part, specifically?

19. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOOOL Tom Hardy voiced Bane cracks me up. :) 
    Also, I now want that mug.
    Harley.Quinn.S01E02.A.High.Bar.1080p.DCU.WEB-DL.DD5.1.H264-NTb.mkv_[2019.12.07_11.14.10].jpg

Weird that Man-Bat is in the Legion of Doom (he is usually mindless in his beast form)... or well, that Joker would be in on it at all. Guess in this universe Lex likes to keep his enemies close.

Kite-Man was hilarious. He is a hopeless loser and even he knows it.
    Nice story overall, liked the fake mint Penguin set up for his nephew, and how Harley thought it was real. It was neat to see Harley use psychology to talk herself out of both situations at the end when she was cornered.
    So is Mrs Cobblepot Penguin's mom... or his wife? She does not look that old. Odd that means Penguin is married?
    Bane was excellent, poor guy despite his size he has easily hurt feelings. (Apparently he blew up Gotham Stadium here because he failed at Quiz Night).
    And yikes, poor Howie Mandell. Batman seems rather ineffective in this version... he never shows up in time.

She has to kiss them to deliver the antidote to a toxin that turns them into plants.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  20. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so i hated tom hardy's voice as bane but just like with the lego batman movie i love it for some reason in parody form. probably because it's awful but for comedy purposes it's great. alan tudyk is hilarious as joker.

another funny episode. i'm loving this series and i have only four words to describe episode two : KITE MAN, HELL YEAH

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2