The Guardian Interview With James Roberts

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  2. unexistance

unexistance 60:1 scale human in Diaclone world

"He campaigned for emancipation and equality, but eventually concluded the system had been engineered to withstand any form of dissent – other than force."

AWESOME

• Like Like x 2
  3. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IDW comics are garbage. Give me the fun (and less political and cerebral) takara comics any day.

• Like Like x 8
  4. kyPRIME

kyPRIME Banned

YouTube:
    \"In October, Marvel writer Chelsea Cain quit Twitter following harassment about her decision to depict Shield agent Mockingbird in a T-shirt bearing the slogan: “Ask me about my feminist agenda.” The fuss left Roberts staggered.\"

i bet he was lmao, f out of my TF comics feminist, i dream that TF fans were more like Marvel fans

• Like Like x 4
  5. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

What?

No, actually, just shut up.

• Like Like x 10
  6. Triceradon

Triceradon Well-Known Member

Please stub your toe.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Succursal

Succursal Well-Known Member

Why don't you? You can't tolerate someone having a different opinion or set of beliefs than your own? Grow up.

• Like Like x 5
  8. seanlockyer

seanlockyer Yours, General Cartman E. Lee

Ebay:
    Give me a story, not a left wing sopabox and please make Transformers comics great again...

• Like Like x 4
  9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is what the front page called "interesting discussion"?!

• Like Like x 4
  10. seanlockyer

Ebay:
    You want to know when the Transformers comic was great ? Just go back and re-read, say, the last 15 or so issues of the original G1 run. That entire story arc with the Decepticon Civil War, the fused body and mind of Ratchet and Megatron and Kup threatening to remove Prime from command was and still is the standard bearer of TF storytelling.

It has gotten so bad that unless Simon Furman (or even Bob Budiansky) has written it I almost half expect to be beaten over the head with the writers left wing thoughts and told how to think...

• Like Like x 3
  11. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some of the research in this article is...weird. :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  12. seanlockyer

Ebay:
    If the writer wants to have TF stories mirror contemporary social issues just go back and watch how the original Star Trek series did it. It made you think, maybe even challenged your beliefs, but wasn't arrogant and insulting or agenda driven.

• Like Like x 3
  13. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Back in the 60s, Star Trek's approach was novel and new. But now it is just a cheap gimmick that writers use. Just give us some good, fun storytelling without agendas.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    That is kind of the entire point of fiction and metaphors.

It's true with nearly all fiction across all of history whether you realize it or not. It's not agenda writing, it's what fiction itself is as an outlet of the thoughts and influences of the time.

Some contemporary fiction like Star Trek do so more blatantly, but it's there even in the subtlest of stories too of the past. From Mary Shelley's Frankenstein to even modern day episodes of Spongebob. Societal commentary is a staple of all fiction. Any work of fiction you can think of has elements of hidden commentary under metaphors for the period it was written in.

This is true for even the original G1 cartoon itself, and every series thereafter.

And let's also not forget Simon Furman's own misogynist leanings in writing either. This is the man that single handedly threw a large scale fit over the same character twice across two decades because he was tasked with writing Arcee into the comic and adamantly refused on there being female cybertronians to the point he wrote a long winded rant on his public spaces to denounce the concept itself of an alien technologically based race having any kind of gendered aspect from his perceptions or for them to have any kind of companionship roles or needs since they were "only machines."

I wouldn't exactly call that a "good writer" with such limited creative views. Of which I've hoped he has since learned. His response to that borderlined on the offensive, but at least it brought representation to the comic in another way. Granted it can't be dismissed that it was rooted in actively trying to be insulting and demeaning.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  15. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Awesome article, and kudos to Roberts getting some exposure in the Guardian. It was hard earned and well deserved. Makes me anticipate the arrival of Lost Light 1 even more.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Succursal

Social commentary is one thing, but you can definitely write to push an agenda. I'm not sure why you think that both neutral or casual commentary can't exist in fiction as well as commentary/story aspects that are actively designed to push an agenda or push changes. I don't think agenda-pushing is inherently bad but that's my opinion/preference; there is certainly nothing wrong with disliking it in fiction.

Social commentary is certainly not the "entire point of fiction" though. People create fiction for a variety of reasons. Or do you think 50 Shades of Grey was published solely to provide a clever dig at the American class system?

• Like Like x 1
  17. pluto

pluto Well-Known Member

To be clear: Transformers gets a write up by notable international newspaper, finally discussing the intellectual and social merits of franchise close to all our hearts. This results in a complaint by fandom if not outright derision. This is disheartening to see : (

• Like Like x 13
  18. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

All ten of them if possible.

• Like Like x 7
  19. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Actually 50 shades of grey as a whole is social commentary on the misperception of the BDSM lifestyle. The entire series is rooted in this misunderstanding of a character that is actually abusive hiding his true shades under the guise of BDSM. That is commentary on how people do not know the difference between healthy BDSM and abusiveness. Until at the end the other lead of the story comes to this realization and ends the relationship permanently.

And I didn't say it couldn't have an agenda. I was saying societal commentary doesn't mean agenda. It means commentary. And as stated above, yes even what people consider "fluff" has commentary whether they realize it or not. Even the much geek hated "Twilight" series has social commentary. Commentary is rooted in all fiction whether you realize it or not.

20. Succursal

We're not allowed to be critical fans? We're supposed to be happy and uncomplaining about every aspect of the franchise? I'm sorry you don't like it but I don't think the problem is clarity: rather, some of us feel it's fine to be critical of things we read/watch, and others, apparently, take issue with that.

You said "it's not agenda writing". How do you know? It seems like it has an agenda to me (an agenda I happen to appreciate/agree with).

I've written fiction, and can solidly attest much of mine does not have it, so no, it does not all have social commentary in it.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.