The Goldbergs

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Cheetatron, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

I loved how they played Dare!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

Anybody keeping up on this show?

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Watch it every week. Loved the Flashdance bit on this weeks.

Love the story of Spring Break was true and the real Adam's brother got in trouble the same way.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I still haven't seen the first season (or two?), but I have since then.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    For some unknown reason I haven’t watched any new eps, or binge witched it... but i discovered this show in syndication.

This show has made me laugh my ass off.

The rerun I saw last night mentioned how Mikey from Life cereal died from eating pop rocks and drinking soda.

I remember that myth from when I was a kid!

6. Rodimus74

Yeah, I've caught it in syndication as well. It's basically The Wonder Years for us Gen. X'ers.

7. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Balls!
    Went to Comcast On Demand and- nothing available before S5 episode 11.
    The prior seasons were only for sale.

8. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Got tired of the show once the obligatory two guilt trip per episode plot line theme became its thing.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  9. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This show always amazes me. Pretty much any plot line is true to some sort. One ep Double Dare comes to town for auditions. Adam doesn't make it, but two kids from his school do. They show a clip of the real DD ep. Also the real kids play the adults running the auditions.

One recent episode the family goes out to eat. The grandfather goes and sits with other people chatting them up. Barry orders fish at a steakhouse (always orders the wrong thing), mom makes odd demands to change the menu, Adam orders from kids menu, etc. Home video shows the same things.

Yeah i will watch an episode and guess what the real old video footage will be at the end. Yeah there are liberties taken. Real Adam had two older brothers, show Adam has older brother and sister. Real dad was a doctor, tv dad runs a furniture store.

10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I really loved this show before they pulled the hiatus then came back with an episode about the 1990s where it was just the coach and the guidance counselor turned principle. I dig each of those characters when balanced against the rest of the cast, but I'm not a big fan of the nineties due to personal experience of that time period being utter garbage, and it was just way too much bland nonsense after waiting so long for them to come back. It felt like, "Well, crap. Guess they gave up."

The episodes since then have been OK, and I keep watching them, but the magic seems have been lost. I'm thinking real Adam started to feel a little too comfortable, and the plot is beginning to suffer for it. I do like that they bring the real people in from his childhood to play people on the show, then chat with them after the episode. Like his best friend playing her own mom, or the JTP coming in to play a group on an episode. But it's beginning to feel like they're getting ready to wrap it up. And based on interviews, I really wonder if Adam wasn't counting on the pilot for the 90s spinoff taking off and ending the Goldbergs.

The first few seasons of this were stupendous for an eighties kid. The nostalgia and story were usually well balanced, and the constant background items that they probably had to hunt down far and wide were always a treat. Now it's become Three's Company level misunderstandings that sometimes go all the way into full-blown "these people must hate each other" ridiculousness and then try to pull it back week after week. It's getting a little too over the top and missing the comedy mark too often.

But hey, at least we'll always have Poptimus Prime.

11. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
  12. Night Flame

Yeah, I heard the story about it, it was still a massive system shock to tune in to a "new" episode of the Goldbergs that felt like a completely different show about a time I really don't want to relive or be nostalgic about.

My wife and I both thought it was terrible enough we turned it off ten minutes in.

13. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    Yeah, it was weird that they just tossed it in there. I don't think that would have happened were it not for the Olympics. Networks always seem to stop airing new episodes when the Olympics are on. They were probably better off airing a repeat than showing that pilot and confusing people. I only found out about the day before it aired myself lol.

14. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yeah, I didn't like that '90s episode, and was slightly annoyed they thought the best way to show this "pilot" was to to more or less trick people into watching it...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Yeah, zero interest.

16. Night Flame

According to a couple articles I read at the time, Adam pushed STRONGLY to have the network air that episode in that time slot rather than a repeat because he felt the pilot hadn't been given a fair chance by the public when it originally aired. I wish I could remember where I found the article, because it gave me a really queasy feeling about Adam himself. He has himself convinced that he can nail the nostalgia for any era and that this pilot was every bit as strong as the Goldberg original pilot, and the only reason it failed was due to people not giving it a fair chance.

I'm not sure why he thought trying to shoehorn it into the Goldbergs as a ruse was the right way to get it a fair chance, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that felt like it was. . . less than spectacular.

17. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    I watch the Goldbergs every week and enjoy the show but The Wonder Years kicks its ass easily.

18. Night Flame

Yup. Two very different kind of shows. One was a drama with hints of comedy, another is a blatant formula sitcom, with family drama holding the core.

The Wonder Years is timeless. The Goldbergs? I enjoy it, but it doesn't pluck the same strings at all.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rodimus74

Pretty lame season opener. Hope it gets better.

20. Asher Tye

Asher Tye Cassetticon

Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    Like Goldbergs at the beginning, but honestly the show began to wear on me after a while, like The Middles. Still some good episodes, but the characters can get really, really obnoxious you can't even pretend to care when their lives don't go well.