The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    haha, I've had him a long while now, remember everyone had to have one after I got it, it was like two months of "see my new greatshot" from a ton of people. I took detailed pics of him here, pretty damn minty, @Billprestonesq sold it to me Brr-icy's Transformers Reviews: Victory: Greatshot

No problem, tried to get a bit more info in there.

2. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cliffjumper love. I think he has the nicest head of the G1 minibots. Heck, nicer than of all the recent Transformers legends figures :) 

cliff.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

Cool little bot. I still need to get the original - ATM I only have the Chinese KO. It does the job as a placeholder, but the plastic is noticeably thinner than that of original Takara/Hasbro minibots.

4. CatalogDave

CatalogDave Well-Known Member

The minibots are so great. I just need Bumper to complete the basic set.

5. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Yeah, I've been debating if I can consider my US collection "complete" without him (not that I'm at that point yet, still a couple more to go...). As far as I'm concerned, it wasn't an official character and the fact that there were any put out at all seems to be an error, so I think I'll be OK without one for the moment. Besides, I can't justify spending $100+ on one loose Minibot.

For that matter, I'm still wondering if I need to have both Targetmaster and non-Targetmaster versions of Hot Rod n' Friends for a "complete" collection. I currently have the TM versions of Scourge and Blurr, and the vanilla versions of Hot Rod, Kup, and Cyclonus. Technically the TM versions are different molds, but they're also fairly minor variations of the same characters, and I hate the idea of having two almost identical characters on my shelf.

6. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

The joys of being a completionist, eh?

For me, one version of each character is enough for me to consider that particular sub-group complete - and all I need for me to cross that particular character off the list/provide me with peace of mind but I can see why that wouldn't be good enough for others.

7. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

I've been thinking about the same thing. I do actually have both versions of Kup, but quite frankly it's overkill. I'll probably settle for having one version only of Scourge and Cyclonus.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah you do, lol they will haunt you later. I didn't bother either until the end

9. shockwave1977

shockwave1977 Shaun

Couple items in the pictures fall out of the G1 realm so my apologies:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  10. Chefdova

Chefdova Nerd alert

Ebay:
    Quite the mix of stuff. Is that a graded BZ?

11. shockwave1977

shockwave1977 Shaun

The only graded item is the Tantrum. I sent the Black Zarack out to be graded probably over 10 years ago and they indicated one side of the tape was not secured/tampered with. I had them in-case it anyways. My favorite piece in my collection.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  12. Chefdova

Chefdova Nerd alert

Ebay:
    I wonder why they didn't Q grade it?

13. shockwave1977

shockwave1977 Shaun

I am not familiar with Q grade. When I sent it in they only graded MISB. Since it was not according to them, they would not grade it. Maybe it has been longer than 10 years since I sent it in but it was a while ago.

14. Chefdova

Chefdova Nerd alert

Ebay:
    "Q" or qualified grade is given to items packaged in styro that are unused with alllsealwd accessories etc. but the box has been opened. Maybe they weren't allowing Q grades that far back?

15. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    • Like Like x 13
  16. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
  17. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

These days Masterpiece and some of the Generations/CombinerWars/Titans Returns toys have attempted to make better versions of G1 characters, but they don't always pull it off. Excluding any unofficial / 3rd party toys... What are some G1 toys that you think are still better than any toys remade for that character after G1?

I think some might say Fortress Maximus is better in G1 for the Fortress and Battle Station modes. For me I'll also say Sky Lynx (because you actually get the Lynx to separate and it's big), as well as Mindwipe. I'm also going to say that Hun-Grrr is a pretty decent G1 toy and gives Abominus some decent articulation for a G1 combiner. Though they haven't officially tried to remake the Terrocons yet.

What do you guys think? Any G1 toys you think have stood the test of time to be THE primary versions of the character that they represent?

18. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed on those, all the micromasters are better than their "updates" Omega Supreme, the other 99% of the g1 line that isn't 1984/1985 is pretty poorly represented imo. I don't see any classics as a better figure, since they are so inaccurate, I'd rather have the vintages.

Speaking of Micromasters, I put them in bot mode and base mode instead of the alt modes they've been in for a while. Still need three of the chase figures to finish the combiner collection, (technically two since I have the black Sixturbo on the way) and a yellow weapon zone battle patrol, which should be here soonish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  19. nice sideburns

nice sideburns Autobot Brother

G1 Jetfire - the generation leader class jetfire is a good toy but it's not better than the original!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Micromaster 3.jpg

MISBs

• Like Like x 3