The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Roger dodger, Optimus Prime!"........"Roger dodger, Optimus Prime!"

I think the clones were a lot more lovable in the Japanese cartoon.

On a side note, anyone with a MIB Fastlane/CloudRaker notice only 1 of them comes with an inner support bubble (which goes under his feet)....the other doesn't?

mib.jpg inserbubble.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  2. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at.

I'd like a hardcover book for the shelf, and pull out poster (diff book) one with tear tabs to put some on the wall.

3. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

About a hundred euro, assuming that his cassette is present and, preferably, the gun too. Sometimes they go for more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shonuff

Shonuff Well-Known Member

I saw one earlier this year sell for under a $100.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jeffafa

jeffafa Unknown Member

Metroplex, the only city-bot I had as a kid, has always been a favorite of mine. I had every intention of keeping my childhood TFs. Left them in a box in the attic while I spent 9 years in the Army. Dad gave them away because "They weren't in their box."
    I know my childhood Metroplex was complete and in very good shape, but who knows what kind of damage could have been done by the heat of a Florida attic for almost a decade.
    Thank God for Encore.
    IMG_20170108_131446.jpg
    Tried to imitate the box art
    IMG_20170108_131532.jpg
    Love the city mode set up on the box. Too lazy to find my protectobots to complete this pic. Maybe later....
    IMG_20170108_130211.jpg
    This was always my favorite mode
    IMG_20170108_130511.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  6. Chunkylover

Chunkylover Member

I have a question about Monstructor and Dinoking. Which one came first? It seems strange that Dinoking was in the Japanese continuity while the figures actually resemble the Monstructor shells more closely that the dinosaur ones. Does anyone know the reason for that?

7. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

Cool pics! And that chrome on his legs looks great - a shame we didn't get that in the West in the 1980s.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They were released at the same time. The figures don't seem to resemble either shells that much, they're just pretty simple tiny figures.

9. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I spotted a Blaster on ebay, and could see one of the Transistor KOs of Frenzy/Rumble in the tape deck. I've been looking for one of these cassettes for a while, so went ahead and took a chance, and won the auction for just $20. Once I got it, sure enough, the tape deck wouldn't open and all the buttons were jammed.

1.jpg

I ended up follow these tutorials from Youtube. Now the buttons all work, and I was able to get the cassette out!

h t t p s ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAoTeVYwWIs
    h t t p s ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dReuJ2iPsSQ

2.jpg

It's not perfect, but it ended up being the best condition of this cassette that I have come across so far. The stickers and paint are all pretty good! I'm happy I took the chance on it.

Hopefully someone will eventually make Reprolabels for these KOs, so a lot more of them would be salvageable.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Blaster is in in pretty great shape too! Now I just need to find a gun for it.

5.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 10
  10. lazerface

News Credits:
    I got Computron and Defensor a long time ago used . Can anyone confirm what the colors were like when they were brand new?

All of the white stuff on Defensor is supposed to be "bone white"? Computron should be more of a cream color?

I can tell that my Defensor has yellowed slightly, since some sides of the toys are worse than others. My Computron seems to have more of a consistent cream color, and I think it might still look correct.

I'll try to get better pictures in a few weeks. Superion's right leg is fairly bone-white for comparison.

CombinersPNG1.PNG

• Like Like x 3
  11. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ride ze Shoopuf?

OK, this is all from memory, so let's see how well I can remember...

I think the white parts on Blades and Groove are supposed to be bone-white, while First Aid is off-white.

As for Computron, I believe all of the Technobots' white parts are more cream colored, like you said. I know for sure Scattershot's white parts are cream, and Nosecone's drill is so off-white it's almost light tan. I remember Lightspeed and Strafe's white parts being a little lighter but still not quite bone-white.

I can check mine when I get home from work.

• Like Like x 1
  12. simplygriff

simplygriff Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Thanks for posting these. Was messing with my Blaster the other day and of course his door is jammed too. It was originally my cousin's from when we were kids so I'd like to get it working again.
    -G

• Like Like x 1
  13. lazerface

News Credits:
    Thanks! That's weird that they would have several different shades of white for one combiner. It seems like it should all be uniform.

I think my Computron is probably still "like new" then. I may have to try peroxide or replace some of my Defensor bots some day. The most noticeable problems are the ladder on Hotspot and one side of First Aid.

14. lazerface

News Credits:
    No problem! All the buttons on mine worked great for the first hour, but I picked it up later and now the play/stop buttons are having some trouble again. If I can just remember not to press those, the eject is still working at least.

I think some of the springs may be giving in too much after sitting there for a while. I'll have to take it apart and try some more adjustments.

I'm kind of curious now if I could fix a vintage Blaster by buying one of the recent reissues, and swapped out the internal button mechanisms and spings. I know a lot of times they will make design improvements by changing the mold though, so it might not work.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  15. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice, I have fixed like eight of them. I used some silicon lube for them.

Computron should be cream on the main body, white on strafe and lightspeed.

Defensor should be white on blades and first aid. darker on streetwise.

16. lazerface

News Credits:
    What do you do with the silicon?

Thanks for the info about the combiners. My Strafe and Lightspeed may be a little yellowed then. They look about the same shade as Scattershot and Afterburner.

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    on the inside mechanics of the door

18. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Ride ze Shoopuf?

OK, I checked my Computron and Defensor last night, and my memory isn't as good as I would like to think :p 
    Turns out my memory was influenced by the fact that MINE are yellowing somewhat as well :( 

To build on what Bryce said, Blades, Groove, First Aid, and Hot Spot's ladder should be bone-white. Streetwise is off-white, basically light grey.

Scattershot is cream, and Lightspeed & Strafe should be bone-white. I really noticed the difference when I picked up Strafe and looked at the underside of his jet mode; the underside is white, while the top is slightly discolored.

19. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Cool, how is the encore release compare to the original?

Didn't know that it was re-released, :( .

20. jeffafa

jeffafa Unknown Member

It's been so long since I've seen the original, I'll need to defer that question to one of the more knowledgeable folks here...