The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'm just referring to the copyright stamping, I think "stamp" refers to the same thing.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 1
  2. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm a huge Dinobot fan, and that is a really tough choice. I love all the tiny detail etched into them, in some places you hardly even look at. That's something a lot of later Transformers molds didn't bother with. The Microman chairs were also a mystery to me for a long time, and made them even more interesting.

For my favorites, I have to go with Snarl and Swoop, since those were the only two that I owned or even saw in person for years. And Grimlock belongs on the list too, since it's Grimlock.

The others are very close runners up. I have to say Slag is my least favorite. It's a great toy, but I've always been a little disappointed with the tail transformation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Swoop, first and then Sludge. Swoop is just so elegant in both modes. And Sludge looks great in both modes, nice and bulky, exactly like his character should be. And I always like the alt mode for Snarl, even though his robot mode was slightly lacking, IMO.

Slag was the only Dinobot I had as a kid, but his transformation was pretty underwhelming compared to the other Dinobots. A friend of mine had Grimlock, and when I saw it in hand, I bragged that I'd be able to transform it without instructions, no problems. However, I got stuck on the chest: I didn't realize it swivelled upwards. So there was some egg on my face! Back then, living in the UK, I always thought that Swoop was just a made up character in the comics. I had NO idea there was an actual toy out there of him.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Joyride.JPG

Joyride, Hasbro Canada

• Like Like x 7
  5. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    You know, I still don't own a single Dinobot. Weird thing is, I've never really even considered doing something about that - I've entertained the thought of buying pretty much every other major '84-'85 toy at some point, but the Dinobots just seem to keep getting lost in the shuffle.

6. jeffafa

jeffafa Unknown Member

I'm the same way. I really only collect G1 reissues and since they haven't been reissued.....
    Minty dinobots just cost too much for me, but I'd love a set. Had Swoop as a kid so he's my favorite, but you can't just get one of the five.

7. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    That's probably why - individually they're not above my price range, but I'm not the type of person who'd just settle for one and call it a day - nah, gotta have the whole set, and that would be expensive.

Even if I only got four of them vintage and went for the blue KO Swoop.

8. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Man, it's really hard to pick a favorite Dinobot.
    I probably have to go with Sludge or Snarl. Probably Sludge, because I think I like his toy slightly more than the others.

9. Liokaiser1989

Metroplex.JPG

Finally found my Metroplex, 1985 version on both the box and the figure, there is chrome on the hip (despite severe loss) but the wheels are plastic.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Lovely! It might say 1985 on the box but it's a 1986 release for sure. Much of 1986 will say 1985 Hasbro Bradley on the back of the box, I suspect.

Also, isn't the silver section on this Metroplex's waist (top of thigh) a sticker?

All the best
    Maz

11. Liokaiser1989

It was 1985 on the box and also 1985 on the figure. It wasn't Hasbro Bradley though. It was just Hasbro Inc. but made in Macau. Yes, the upper thigh is a sticker (I thought chrome sticker).

Cheers

Attached Files:

12. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

I got these pics of Artfire2000's (Chuck Liu) dealer booth at TFCon. His wife is pregnant so he's selling off some of his collection to pay for parenthood expenses. He also set some stuff up in his hotel room on Friday night as a sneak preview. I got to see stuff I don't think I've ever seen in person before, but of course 99% of it was way out of my price range. His booth was overall much bigger than this, but this was just the stuff in the case. Note the boxed blue Bluestreak, which had a number of collectors drooling. You can also see a loose one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  13. Liokaiser1989

I find it awfully difficult to keep the figure MISB and not to open it out and at least examine it. Are they mostly MISB?

14. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    If the box says Hasbro Inc then 100% a 1986 or possibly later release. Again, the date stamp on the toy is not necessarily an indicator of release. G1 Megatrons are stamped 1974 but came out in the 1980s, even the Microman Megatron was not a 70s figure, but 1982/3 or thereabouts.

All the best
    Maz

15. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'm not aware of Chuck being a pre-TF collector, I think this is more likely stock that he has bought on Yahoo Japan and from other sources and sells through his booth at shows and on his website and Facebook as a little business.

Many congrats to him and his wife, wonderful news!

All the best
    Maz

16. Blaster

Blaster Australian Ghetto Blaster

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Looks like I've just missed the boat on the Sky Lynx discussion, but I wanted to share anyway :D 
    Found a good priced boxed Sky Lynx a few weeks ago. Only missing the poster and sticker sheet (and at the time, the instructions which I have since tacked down.) Electronics still work perfectly (with no corrosion in the battery terminals.) Box has some shelf wear but no tears (except for a very small one on the bottom right side that is barely noticeable. Did Sky Lynx come with an extra Styrofoam "reinforcing" piece that sat over him - like Metroplex - to stop the box sagging or to provide a place for the paperwork to sit? I can't figure out what the rectangular area in the styrofoam at the base of the shuttle is for. :oops: 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  17. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:

The site where I saw that Wheelie (high quality pic) was on Heritage Auctions, they have old pics of former auction items including the TF move script and scripts, cel art etc.

Transformers: The Movie Final Draft Screenplay with Outline(Sunbow | Lot #93278 | Heritage Auctions

Here's another cool image, Heb Trimpe TF/ G.I. Joe cover art.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. batfan007

News Credits:
    Speaking of made up Dinobots, what you guys think of Paddles?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I had to leave nearly all my G1 boxes back in the UK for now, but the figures I dragged with me for this temporary display, pre-Detolfs.

CxqN25MXcAAGW2F.jpg CxqN25NWEAAIpPe.jpg CxqN25NXEAARnmw.jpg CxqN25PXUAAlziV.jpg

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 7
  20. batfan007

News Credits:
    I love seeing old and new and 3P Headmasters / Targetmasters in the one space.

It's always interesting to me to see what choices designers make with some toys, be they toon model, G1 toy or modern update can really give you three distinct looks for one character based on the same basic look, deco and transformation. :cool: 

• Like Like x 1