The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks eveyone, Overlord is one of my favorite figures too. Always hated selling him. Now to win back my Leokaiser ...

2. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

Did G1 Movie version Optimus Prime have a round blue and white sticker on the trailer that looked like this?

Cuz my trailer has a round sticker residue spot on the top of the trailer.

If so, then I have a veryminty movie version Prime and might have to get this sticker reprod or something :) 

Need confirmation that this was on the trailer though. Im leaning towards yes, because the styrofoam tray the toy came in when I bought it (he lost the box) has some blue paint wear right where this sticker would have been on the trailer.

[​IMG]

3. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

hmm doing a little more research.. that expains why there was no box that came with him, he only came with the styrofoam, I'll hve to email that guy and see if he can find the original certificate that came with him.

*EDIT* confirmed its the movie edition, now I have an issue. I have two Primes with the trailer that has the #5 on the bottom, so they are both movie version trailers. But the fists that came with the two different primes, are slightly different. Im assuming theone I bought from a guy on cybertron.ca must have pieced this prime together, because they should have had identical parts, no?

How do I know which fists originally came with the movie version? I have a set that where the hole is flush with the thumb (first pic, has no numbers on them) (I do know what the bloated fists look like, neither of them are those) and a pair where the hole extrudes up past the thumb a little bit. Looks like a reissue fist, though I was sure it was vintage. (second pic, has little number 4's on them)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  4. TRANSFANATTIC

TRANSFANATTIC K.O.llector

Yes on the sticker, that is correct. I believe it came on a little sticker sheet as well.

The fist in this picture are the correct fists for the movie edition set. They look just like the reissue style but the reissue fist has a tapered/rounded peg as to where all g1 fists have a flat peg that goes into the fist hole.

5. TRANSFANATTIC

Ok guys, I need to ask a serious question of the hardcore Dia-crony G1angstaz on this board. I ended up buying a "MISB" Kronoform version Cosmo Roller recently and I think I may have committed sacrilege. Long story short, I bought it and while it was on it's way I noticed the seller relisted it with the same pics as the one I bought. So I asked him why and in a surprising response he said he had two of them?!? I'm thinking to myself, 'what are the odds that someone who sells primarily dvd's would have 2 misb diaclone anything?' When it arrived it looked absolutely pristine, tape intact and all but I just couldn't shake the feeling that it might have been monkeyed with or the drivers taken out and resealed etc. All my worst fears. So I made the gut wrenching decision to pop the tape and wouldn't you know it: Friggin dead mint! Uggggggh....Question is, how rare are these to come by MISB and how much do you think it hurt the value to have cut the tape on one side? I literally handled it with gloves and all, didn't even bend a piece of cardboard in the process. To console myself I'm telling my brain: 'whatever, it's a toy....at least it was me that opened it....never getting rid of it anyways." ...But still. Thoughts? Let's hear 'em.

6. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Cosmo Roller has never been a particularly desirable Diaclone mould among the non-hardcore, and even then the Kronoform version would never go for the same amount as the made in Japan Takara Diaclone release.

I honestly don't think, unless you always planned to sell it on to that one guy - whoever he might be - that collects sealed Kronoform, that you will have suffered that much and now you are completely aware that the contents are mint. Plus, it is far more enjoyable to gaze upon unused contents than to just know they are there.

All the best
    Maz

7. TRANSFANATTIC

You are definitely the one person I wanted to hear back from. I feel much better knowing that it wasn't a death blow to the toy's overall value, however I'm kind of surprised to hear that Cosmo Roller isn't considered a desirable piece. I'm sure it has to do with it not being directly linked to Transformers, but I think as a stand alone toy it is one of the coolest all around toys ever made. I just love all the "Gimmick" that it has built into it. I'm hoping as the years go by more people will catch on.

My personal link to it when I was a kid my father was a garbage man, and being a working class family we couldn't afford toys like Transformers, so no joke, most of my toys came from the landfill. However my dad had a keen eye and from time to time would find them for me. Looking back the best haul my dad ever found was an entire bag full of Transformers, Voltrons, and other robots I didn't recognize. Of course back then I didn't know what they all were, I honestly thought most of them were corner store fakes from the local pharmacy because they didn't look exactly like the ones my friends had. Anyways in that bag there was a little radar dish that I used to use as an accessory for all my guys. Ahh, childhood :) 

Well, that radar dish stayed with me the better part of 25 years. It wasn't until I hit my 30's when I started collecting again that I realized that original "haul" of Transformers my dad found was full of Diaclones, and of course figured out that radar part went to Cosmo Roller, and then the "ah hah" moment hit me: Oh yea, I remember that thing! That was in the bag too, I remembered having a lot of fun with it and that's why I went for buying a misb one. Man the good ol days... I love this stuff, collecting, stories, friends, memories.

You know what? After writing this I just realized I've been looking at it the wrong way completely.

The other day I got to open a brand new 30 year old toy from my childhood that was one of my favorites. And the best part?: I opened it with my son. How cool is that?

• Like Like x 1
  8. TRANSFANATTIC

9. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Love how you've turned the experience of Cosmo around in your head, that's awesome :) 

I love Cosmo, here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I wager with the red fist attached, it could be one of those Metrotitan KOs, I've seen them on these shores before.

All the best
    Maz

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  10. TRANSFANATTIC

Thank you for the kind words, sometimes it takes thinking like a child again to put things into perspective. I love the Joutra artwork, I've always felt it makes whatever is inside the box just come to life, like it starts the adventure for you, or something.

As far as the Metroplex/Titan, the Metrotitan KO that I have has Red Fists and White Guns, so is there another KO with chrome guns that I'm unaware of? I was thinking about these parts with regard to this:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/c07263284cb378186c25229b4a5ab094/tumblr_mokx8uUwUL1qcrr5qo2_1280.jpg

I know it's a long shot, and they could also just be painted parts, but after all this time who knows what is still floating around out there. I've found some pretty interesting "unknowns" since I starting collecting. I would be interested to find out if it does belong to a ko because I love collecting those too :)  I messaged the seller to see if I could get some better pics.

11. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    OOh that is compelling, I wonder if the prototype would have had a screw hole in the gun though, maybe it was just a hand painted sculpt? Eitherway, look forward to what you uncover!

For some more G1 appreciation, here's the gorgeous TFC COllection anime colours Starscream!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

12. TRANSFANATTIC

Question

Hey Maz, since we're on the subject of oddities, I was hoping you might be able to clarify something for me that I read a while back....

I can't remember where I saw it exactly but in an article I read that there was never a Yellow Sunstreaker ever released in the "Diakron" style packaging, only red. Oddly enough, I was going through all my original collection of transformers a while back and I found that I have a Yellow Streak with a long "DIAKRON" sticker under the roof/chest area. It's the same as the normally blank factory silver sticker on Transformers releases except mine has has a slanted DIAKRON logo in black letters. Mine is definitely vintage, and I've owned it since before 2000.

Question is, do I have this information wrong or could this be an unknown variant of some kind? If it's easily explainable I apologize, but if it sounds intriguing I'll dig it out for pics. Thoughts?.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  14. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I avoided these shattered glass cassettes for a long time since I am not too crazy about repaints, and I was worried they might have bad plastic quality... But wow, I'm happy I finally pulled the trigger. These really look good in person. Pictures just don't quite do the colors justice.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. lazerface

News Credits:
    brr-icy, I always love checking out your collection pictures. What sword are you using for that G1 Bludgeon in your collection thread? I'd like to get one for mine.

16. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I've seen a number of yellow Sunstreakers with the DK-1 stickers on, and while I originally thought a few yellow ones made it into Diakron boxes, I'm now of the opinion that it's more likely that the Diakron stickersheet made it into early pre rub G1 Sunstreaker boxes on a few occasions.

All the best
    Maz

17. Destron79

Destron79 Transforming gunslinger

Brr-Icy always rocks :cool: 

18. lazerface

News Credits:
    I'm hoping someone here can help me with a couple repair tips.

I recently got this basically mint G1 Optimus, but one of the silver stripe stickers has a tear through it. Does anyone know if the reprolabels set would be a perfect match, so I would just have to replace that one little segment? If the reprolabels are not an exact match, are there any other options? I don't want to rip off all the originals if I can avoid it.

[​IMG]

Also, I have this great vintage Lazerbeak KO, but one of the pegs that holds the leg on broke, I guess because of cheap metal. I was thinking about getting the metal part from an official Lazerbeak and painting it blue to repair this. Are there just two screws that hold it together (the part I circled green)? I don't think there are reproductions of this sticker, so I don't know if I should just punch through to the screws, or try to peel it off and re-apply.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have no idea, it came with him when I bought it. I'll ask the seller
    Thanks man

20. lazerface

News Credits:
    Thanks! It looks really cool! Don't worry about it, if it is too much trouble, though.