The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    It’s pretty effective

• Like Like x 6
  2. KylerWilmoth

KylerWilmoth Missing Link Wheelie

Likewise! Stickering a G1 is one of my favorite parts of getting a new one. A lot of these molds I never got to experience as a kid and stickering them usually leads to discoveries I may not have noticed otherwise.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Bugste81

Bugste81 Ste

_DSC0078.jpg _DSC0086.jpg

• Like Like x 20
  4. Sparkyvanburen

Sparkyvanburen Well-Known Member

All a pin is is a finish nail without the sharp point. I have used quite a few nails as pins (with the tip cut off) without issue..
    Edit: this is a replacement wheel I used and pegged it in with a standard finish nail
    IMG_20240513_123256~2.jpg

I use lighter fluid often (zippo type) often enough and it does a great job of keeping the sticker whole so that I can reattach it. You just have to be careful

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 4
  5. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good to know!

• Like Like x 1
  6. KylerWilmoth

KylerWilmoth Missing Link Wheelie

Feeling super nostalgic tonight. Have been going through posts from over a decade ago and it's wonderful seeing both how different and similar the scene was back then compared to now. There's so so so many lost pictures in this thread. I feel like we need a proper archive before we lose more!

• Like Like x 7
  7. Sparkyvanburen

I was reading some old posts a while ago and I found it kinda nice.. How quaint it was to posts images. the thing that got me most was something along the lines of
    "I took some photos, but have not had time to connect the camera to the computer so I can download the pics. But the images are too big and will take a long time to upload, maybe I will do it over the weekend"

• Like Like x 4
  8. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

IMG_5953.jpeg
    Thanks for the heads up on the nail tip! I guess it’s just a matter of finding the right nail that fits that opening and doesn’t cause it to crack. When our neighbors moved they gave me all kinds of tools and fasteners and screws and nails. I’m sure I have something down in the basement I can make work.

Edit: I found a nail downstairs and cut it down to size. He is not an easy patient to do repairs on. The plastic on those front white panels is tricky so I had to get out the soldering iron and work slowly. I heated the pin for a few seconds at a time so as not to melt the plastic shaft, easing it in little by little. I didn’t want to smash it down so the hood panel didn’t move because the other side has a little wiggle room too. After leaving the iron on the pin for about four seconds it started to push into place. I now have a fixed Downshift and I only paid $35 for him! The Omnibots have really shot up in price, probably due to their fragility and also being mailaway figures, making them tough to find in good condition. Downshift is the coolest of the three, in my opinion, and I’m glad to have him again. Now I have to fix a broken roof on Prowl… he’s a circle stamp version and doesn’t have the little tabs on the back that hold the windshield in place, so it naturally wants to sag into the trunk. Should I remove the head so I have a clean line to work with, or try to superglue it while it’s still attached to the body? Thanks for any helpful tips everyone!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Viper2

Viper2 Storming the Moon Gate

Lighter fluid can cause certain types of plastic to become brittle and/or suddenly crack, especially near thin areas or recessed panel lines.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sparkyvanburen

When in doubt, I always take them apart so as to not get super glue where I don't want it.
    As for the omnibots, I got Camshaft and overdrive for about $25 for the pair about 2 years ago. I am missing only Downshift. I really want him... Glad the nail worked :) 

Good to know, I have used it on PM OP, Springer, Bluestreak and quite a few others without any problems that I know of... But I will make sure to keep this in mind

• Like Like x 2
  11. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

He needs new stickers anyway, so removing that hood sticker is gonna be necessary if I want to try to glue them together. I see people using lighter fluid for removal. I might try a hair dryer too. I have wanted a circle stamp Prowl forever. Can’t wait to get him looking good.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Quick as Lightning

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I personally don’t care to keep the sticker intact since I just throw em away, but yeah! You can soak the sticker in lighter fluid and remove it in one piece if you’re careful enough. I personally just scrape em off with a fingernail and use a paper towel soaked in fluid to rub off the residue.

• Like Like x 1
  13. lango7

lango7 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Picked up a G1 Megaton and SW with their original boxes and inserts. Not going to get them graded but I want some acrylic boxes for them, anyone have some recommendations?

• Like Like x 1
  14. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can buy resealable cases from the same place that does the grading process. I would just buy from them, because they are measured and designed specifically for the figure that you select.

Collectible Grading Authority

If you don't want to buy them, you might try The Container Store. They won't have a perfect fit, but they have some cool display boxes for stuff like baseballs, footballs, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  15. lango7

lango7 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thank you for the advice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RIDGE

RIDGE !

Apeface and Spasma.
    IMG_0396A.JPG IMG_0399A.JPG IMG_0390A.JPG IMG_0391A.JPG
    IMG_0400A.JPG IMG_0401A.jpg

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 12
  17. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Collectible Grading Authority
    canadianacrylicdisplay.com

I used Canadian Acrylic Display for acrylic cases that I couldn't find. Gave them the measuresments paid and got them like 6 weeks later.

18. AMG

AMG Old School

IMG_20170526_121048-2.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  19. Currywurst

Currywurst Heaven And Hell 2001 nostalgic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like Like x 1
  20. RIDGE

RIDGE !

Thanks Currywurst, its enjoyed a lot of play over the years and has survived in reasonably good nick.

Last edited: May 16, 2024
    • Like Like x 2