The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. RL1701

RL1701 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like the list. Mine is on a spreadsheet (and therefore keeps growing - so stay away from spreadsheets).

• Like Like x 3
  2. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Sideswipe. Great. Sideswipe. Got lot's of interesting things to say about Sideswipe.

HE NEVER DID ANYTHING. HE JUST STOOD AROUND!!!

I remember seeing that first reveal of this Sideswipe and, figuratively speaking, rubbing my hands otgether in anticipation. "Great" I thought "that'll make for a juicy write up". Then I did the suual mental exercise of running through all my childhood recollections of him.

Two.

There were exactly two. He leant Prime his rocketpack in 'Arrival from Cybertron' and he appeared on a screen towards the end of 'Dinobot Hunt' to say "Hi Optimus. Got smashed up by Grimlock and Sludge. Lol. Who knew? K, bye!". And that is amazing, because in my mind's eye he's always been one of those incredibly iconic, original, Transformers. Like one of the guys that'd appear on all the adverts because he was EVERYTHING THAT TRANSFORMERS WERE MEANT TO BE!!!

And you hold the toy and it soon becomes incredibly obvious why. Sideswipe is as classic and perfect example of your old school Diaclone Transformer as you're going to find. He has a wow factor that makes him a perfect ambassador for the toyline.

He's not perfect, of course. some of the toy machanics are quite exposed between his head and chest, his shoulders are thin little spindles, his arms are beyond dainty, and his feet look like massive overhanging toes.

But who gives a flying fuck, becuase what this toy gets right it really gets right, and that eclipses any minor quibbles. That big hood chest makes him seem so dynamic and heroic, and that facesculpt just floors me. I truly love those Diaclone era facesculpts. To someone who was used to seeing Star Wars and Masters of the Universe figures, these Transformers facesculpts were so wonderfully mysterious. A quick shout out to the guy's shoulder cannon too. Seems like a trivial point, but the shoudler weapons were another thing that set the '84/'85 cars apart from everything thatc ame after them, and SDideswipe's is the coolest, in my own wee opinion.

But man! That lambourghini. That magnificent, sex red, lambourghini. Perhaps more than any other of the '84/'85 crew, Sideswipe reminds me that with Diaclone the vehicle modes came first. It's such an immaculate rendering that you could almost just keep it as model car. Sometiems I'm amazed that something of such high quality was around in the 'primative' early '80's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 18
  3. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don’t know if this link will work from my Dropbox, but I put this Word file together a long time ago that I use.

I actually need to update a few small things on the Japanese Exclusives list(specifically the recolored Micromaster Patrols and the unique colored Firecons/Sparkbots, but it didn’t look like you’re going that far anyway ;) 

Disclaimer: The Checklist was designed as a loose-collector so therefore not identifying different variants, etc. For the Japanese/European section, I only included original molds and recolors not available in the US.

Dropbox - GENERATION ONE CHECKLIST.docx

Enjoy :D 

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

It's basically filled out as much as can be reasonably filled out. Each figure/case early on has loads of entries, later on is rather thin, but there's a load to look at. I also checked an inflation calculator to add a table so people can convert the prices into 2018 dollars.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I know for a fact they used the Takara cartoon face for reissues g1 Bumblebee. But when Soundwave comes out, what are chances for red visor. I've never seen one, but I'm sure most are not use to it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gutay

Gutay Fish are really jumping today huh Daniel?

And what are the chances of Optimus having blue eyes/matrix spot?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sixshot1

Sixshot1 Well-Known Member

Sealed.

F92F1436-F5B3-424E-9D71-DB6321E374B2.jpeg

• Like Like x 16
  8. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

Probably pretty high.

9. snapdragon87

snapdragon87 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of my stuff is in storage, and I am considering buying a new shelf. I'm wondering if the shelf height will work out. Does anyone know how tall Trypticon, Metroplex and Predaking are, just off the top of your head? I think those are the tallest in my collection, unless I eventually get a Scorponok.

• Like Like x 1
  11. johnchow604

johnchow604 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Blaster.

blaster.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  12. Collectotron

Collectotron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    @lazerface I’m not sure about Predaking but from what I can tell Metroplex is about 30-40cm tall and Trypticon is about 50-60cm tall

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Does anyone know what Early G1 Pre-Rubs were available with the Takara Japan in Circle stamp? I read in another thread that not all of them were available with this stamp.

• Like Like x 1
  14. borgified

borgified You're going to get speared to death!

News Credits:
    @lazerface: An old pic of my collection that I posted back when I joined back in 2017.

overview1.jpg

G1 Pred is roughly 3 inches (?) taller than Galvy. Sorry that I can't give you exact measurements as the collection has been taken down since my move and still in storage (got to get a bigger shelf and re-display my collection).

• Like Like x 6
  15. KylerWilmoth

KylerWilmoth Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I've gotta say, I'm in awe at the display in your profile picture. Have you posted the full image or images anywhere? I'd love to see them :) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. RL1701

RL1701 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks! I've posted some pics here and there, but here they are again. I had limited space, so this is jammed into a closet. Only a few are MISB, most are just MIB. All have been resealed with their weapons/paperwork. All are vintage (except the Abominus and Bruticus Giftsets).
    Closet 1.jpg Closet 2.jpg Closet 3.jpg

• Like Like x 30
  17. KylerWilmoth

KylerWilmoth Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    God that is beautiful. Are they afa graded or are you going the same route as me and buying the cases to protect them? Your collection is exactly what I'm trying to achieve with mine. Just beautiful. May I ask how long you've been at it as well? Sorry if this is question overload but something about your display has really struck me haha. I think I might be taking a few notes for myself

• Like Like x 2
  18. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Fantastic collection - congrats!

• Like Like x 2
  19. RL1701

RL1701 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thank you. None of them are afa graded. I got all the cases from CGA Grading - so, yes, just to protect and display them. CGA had most of the cases in stock, but some of them (like Fort Max and Trypticon) they did custom for me. I worked on it for about 2 years. One year was collecting vintage weapons/boxes/paperwork off of ebay or Transformerland (most of the original figures are mine). The 2nd year was collecting cases, designing the room and doing the shelves. It was a fun project and I love walking into the room. Thank you for your kind words. Any other questions, please shoot me a message - I'd be glad to help.

• Like Like x 3
  20. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks yall!

• Like Like x 2