The G1 Footage

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Nachtsider, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    In before "IT'S JUST A HOMAGE FOR THE FANS LOL!!!!!1111!!ONE111ELEVEN!"

Yeah, we all know that was the real-world explanation behind the 'War Dawn' footage shown during 'Transform and Roll Out: Part One'. But how about an in-story explanation for the footage?

Here's an example of the food for thought that it provides us. Are we meant to assume that characters similar or akin to Dion and G1 Megatron existed at some point during the Animated-verse's past? If so, what became of them? Did they evolve into Animated (insert favored evolved form of Dion here) and Animated Megatron, or adopt entirely different fates?

I'd love to hear your input.

2. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

i just watched that episode recently.transformers animated rules when it comes to homages for the fans.

now if only the movie had cared that much.

i think its safe to assume that megatron in the video is the same megatron.

dont know about dion though...

3. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm inclined to agree that the Megatron depicted is Animated Megatron and maybe Dion is Magnus.

4. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    The way I see it, is that its a G1 universe where Optimus is not leader and Ultra Magnus is, and they never came to Earth at the time of the G1 footage either. But it could be a universe where G1 Optimus died (without them coming to Earth), and Magnus becomes leader. But Animated Optimus is just one bot with the same name. Ratchet and Arcee could also be the G1 characters.
    But as for Megatron, I`d say its himself from G1 too (maybe Starscream and possibly Blitzwing too).
    So in a way, I`d say Animated is somewhat a continuety of G1 in some way...

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    animated megatron was the descendant of the original Megatron like bw megatron.

6. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I say Dion is meant to represent either a young Ultra Magnus, or just some random Soldier.

The Megatron then is the Megatron now, although he probably didn't have that body.

You can believe that if you want, but the Allspark and Autobot space bridges kinda throws a wrench into that viewpoint.

7. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Yeah um Ok but no even your own description undermines itself your essentially putting forth that Animated is some alternate version of G1 (which it pretty much is) but then your trying to force square peg events from 'G1' into the round hole thats Animated so that you cqan make Animated part of the G1 continuity its not its an Alternate Universe where things like Optimus Prime being Autobot leader NEVER HAPPENED.

This makes no sense the footage we are talking about took place during the the great war so if the Megatron in the footage is meant to be Megatron then its Animated Megatron.

8. transmetal2dinobot

transmetal2dinobot Sub-Commander

Ebay:
    not really, the allspark could just be a form of vector sigma(kind of like the oracle was a shell in BM, this could be an extension of it)
    and the autobot space bridges make sense in their own way too, because the great war ended differently in this continuity with autobot victory instead of a stalemate/attrition war. they'd have probably thought it a good idea to build the space bridge network because they weren't constantly being harrased by decepticons

9. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was always of the opinion that the G1 footage was just a nice homage, but I believe that Animated and G1 are different universes that maybe started as the same but then had a point of divergence...

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Yeah, me and my brother saw that and thought it was awesome.

This is just my opinion, but... the G1 footage is supposedly, in the Animated universe, some sort of historical videos of the war that occurred on Cybertron. Doubtful that G1 Megatron did exist in the Animated Universe and evolve into what we see him as throughout the rest of the series, but... he could have been an earlier version, then got modified over time (think IDW's Megatron Origins).

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still think it's a movie with fake actors and stuff, explaining the cheesiness, just to show HEY DECEPTICONS WE BEAT YOU AND WE MADE A MOVIE.

12. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. You have those superpowerful giant guardian bots who fight for the Autobots blasting the crap out of thousands of similar decepticons with inferior drone-like intelligence, and some biddy-looking Megatron-look-a-like, and at the end, a noble autobot saluting for the glory of the Autobot Empire. :p 
    A propaganda movie would be the very best in-universe explanation.

Megatron didn't look like that in the great war back then. In episode Lockdown, we see that in Ratchet's flashbacks, Megatron already has his cybertronian robot form.

And it wouldn't seem beneath the Autobots in TF: Animated to glorify their own victory and debase their defeated Decepticon enemies with an educational video. :p 

13. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    i think of it as their past. the only character shown that is the same is Megatron, and any footage of any other bots is just random footage. though i would LOVE to see a Dion made to look both Animated and G1 at the same time.

14. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I think the simplest explanation is always best unless the writers actually tell us what it means. (Doubtful)

I'm just going to pretend that the G1 footage is historical footage of some kind of past war. We know it's Dion and G1 Megatron, but to people like Bulkhead and Lugnut, they just see some soldier who fought on the battleground hundreds of years ago.

15. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Funny, did Sumdac founded megatron in the 1950's or something... Before Megatron was a gun in 1984-2005?

How can Megatron be both?

Animated is not the same universe.

I think the writer paid homage, or reused for laziness, the G1 propaganda footage.

16. Particle_Beam

Particle_Beam Well-Known Member

No, Sumdac found Megatron's head somewhere around the 21st century (not specified). Listen to Sumdac's speach, he says he'll bring new revolutionary things into the coming 22nd century.

17. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

I think Animated takes place around AD2100, so Sumdac would have discovered Megatron's head sometime around AD2050. Of course, he didn't seem particularly familiar with Earth, which he should have been were it Megatron from the G1 continuity. Then again, that doesn't necessarily preclude him being G1 Megatron--he could be the same character, but dumped into a different timeline.
    Or maybe I just have no idea where I'm going with this.

18. Lockdown

Lockdown Bootey Hunter

News Credits:
    Honestly its a fanwank homage I wish they hadnt used.

19. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    AMEN

20. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

In some way but not really.