The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

Well, as long as it shows the official "Enterlaw" logo, which is a lawyer transforming into a cease-and-desist letter.

2. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    Except you forgot that the botcon/r.i.d versions and alternator/binaltech versions are the same mold too. Therefore, on three (out of four occasions), Sunstreaker and Sideswipe transformer toys have been created using the same mold (retooled in 2 instances).

It should not come as a surprise to expect that some people are willing to live with a MP Tiger Tracks that has been upgraded into a 'MP' Sunstreaker via a 3rd party.

3. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's absolutely true. I personally think Hasbro Optimus looks terrible with the bright blue ranking it right next to King Grimlock for "If only they had not used this blue." Hasbro Soundwave is headed that direction too.

4. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

I dunno, I think he looks pretty good.

[​IMG]

5. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    :rock 

Quite a few people that had the Takara swapped or sold theirs for Hasbro's, that's saying something.

6. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    I've got both the Takara and Hasbro primes and I prefer the Hasbro prime only for the bright blue eyes and the lighter shade of grey on the thighs. Everything else though the Takara wins hands down.

Lets set this straight first, the shade of blue on both is wrong. Optimus Prime's blue in the cartoon is navy blue. I don't know why people think the Hasbro stepped right out of the cartoon, the bright royal blue is way off. The Takara version is closer to the cartoon but it's like a mix of navy blue and violet.

My perfect prime would be the Takara prime with the hasbro eyes, a navy blue without the violet and white thighs/waist. I hope Takara releases another version and labels it cartoon convoy.

7. Hellion42

Hellion42 Unreliable News Source

News Credits:
    Boorrrrrringg. The third party version uses a slightly modified logo and turns into a billable hours spreadsheet. Official or not, that's where my preorder money is going.

8. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Because people love saying "Stepped right out of the cartoon." As if the cartoon had nice animation drawings.:rolleyes2 
    If it did step out of the cartoon, it would be one square generic looking robot.

9. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    In the literal sense, yeah. But I'd say they mean in the imaginative sense.

10. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    His shade of Blue depends entirely on when and where you're referring to in the cartoon. Takara's Blue is actually closer to the toy. Hasbro's is closer to the cartoon in a few scenes, so Hasbro's isn't way off. People haven't imagined Hasbro's colour as being cartoon accurate, they actually appear in the show. You'll also see a lot of fan art with very similar colours to Hasbro's.

It should be said, I don't know why Takara didn't use the same colour scheme as MP-01/04...

11. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

I guess my point was that I think he looks good; not necessarily better or worse than the Takara version. If we're judging I like Takara's blue a little better, but wouldn't trade it because the eyes on Hasbro's are vastly superior. Yes, there is painting...I don't tend to do that to my figures.

But even if the blue on Takara's version is better, Hasbro's version still looks good. One doesn't preclude the other. I know this is hard for us to believe, but -gasp- they can both look good and have merit in their own right.

I think its possible to feel he "stepped right out of the cartoon" without the blue being accurate. In fact sometimes we can get a more cartoon feel when the colors aren't exactly right. I agree Takara's version is closer in a literal sense. But the figure still feels less cartoon-like to me.

We always demand this literal adherence to a cartoon that was completely incapable of being accurate to itself. Color's changed, scale changed, characters were mis-colored into other characters, drawn poorly, drawn-inaccurately, duplicated in the same scene, etc.

Sometimes being true to the spirit of the cartoon or having the impression of being cartoon-like is greater when literal translation doesn't occur.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The only thing I prefer more on the Hasbro version is the eyes, but I painted the eyes on my TakaraTomy version.

13. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

Now I know the pain of losing to a knock-off of myself.

14. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm the same, and I own and love Quakewave. But he's a placeholder, because who knows how many years away the real thing might be? TT's Shockwave, if they do it, will hopefully be that darker toon burgundy colour, have a bulkier chest, and have those nice big G1 curves to the legs (also enabling him to stand unaided in space cannon mode).
    Yeah, but it's called the Masterpiece line for a reason; lazy shortcuts that other lines have taken are irrelevant. If any 3rd party is dumb enough to make a Sunstreaker-from-Tigertrack upgrade kit, I sincerely hope TT announces the real deal and walks all over them...

15. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    I wasn't aware Disney and Hasbro/Takara-Tomy were the same corporate entity. That Disney defends their intellectual property so vigorously doesn't automatically mean that HasTak would do the same (or that both companies have or would dedicate the same level of time, effort, and resources to do so). The fact that copyright law is tough to enforce in China doesn't necessarily mean that the same laws could be 100% enforced in the West either.

16. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

Whatever, SuperSquad.

:confused2 

17. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I also prefer the light shade of blue of the Hasbro version compare to TakaraTomy version.

18. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Well-Known Member

Has there been any word as to when Hasbro's MP Soundwave is coming out in the US?

19. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

^ No one knows. Probably late summer or fall.

20. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

Spectacular shot of him. I actually prefer his blue to the Takara version's.