The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I think the MP line consolidated as MPG as a whole is safe.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The inevitable question is, will the same characters be done in both lines regardless of aesthetic differences? IDW Hot Rod has never felt "G1" to me due to his wildly different aesthetic, even though he might technically be a G1 interpretation of Hot Rod.

Does a Studio Ox Predaking mean we'll never get a MPG Predaking? If you spend ~$600 on AMT Predaking, are you more or less likely to spend ~$600 on MPG Predaking? Do the two audiences overlap? Will Takara be willing to take the risk? If AMT Predaking is "Megazord style" (no individual Predacon robot modes), but otherwise in scale with MP figures, will you buy it out of fear that there will never be a Sunbow-faithful MPG Predaking?

I feel like there's lots to ponder here.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Throway

Throway You'll never stop at one...

News Credits:
    Did not just see complaining about there being too many lines/toys. I find investing in just MP is tiring I welcome these new ones with open arms purely to freshen things up. I don't want MP style non stop there's more to life than that one toyline...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I disagree with every statement made there other than seeing any complaining about too many lines.
    I wanted iterations other than G1 to be their own thing, not combined together (though I understand the Japanese approach to Transformers, but I digress).

For a little over 20 years, the Masterpiece line has been very consistent.
    "Consistency is victory." as Ultra Magnus says.
    The MP line has maintained a very consistent look and feel to the packages and the product (relatively speaking).
    It's one of the many things I've loved about the line for so long.
    Honestly, the only hodge-podge here comes with the 3rd party offerings.
    That's not just the packaging, as MP figures have changed very little over this time frame.
    While the changes made have been really significant, this is the first toyline since G1 that's been this consistent.

If you don't want MP style, the good thing is there are other lines that offer very different things.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I just turned 45, my dude :) 

• Like Like x 5
  6. Throway

Throway You'll never stop at one...

News Credits:
    I love the MP line and style, I'd just never want it to be the only thing. I could eat pizza daily but I want pasta too. Maybe I don't like roast dinners, but I'd never want others to not have it if they like it.

7. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    Youngin' :p 

I just turned 51 :confused: 

• Like Like x 4
  8. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Turning 49 in a few months. Still going, and still very much interested in the hobby. No plans to quit any time soon.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Currywurst

Currywurst Heaven And Hell 2001 nostalgic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think there still will be G1 versions of characters that get like an IDW style version in ATM.
    Takara knows G1 still sells. Even though G1 MP has slowed down.
    And a Predacon combiner with only alt modes is never going to be the only MP scale release of that character.

10. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

It would be nice to know what quantity looks like with each MP release and if it has decreased over time, and if so, to what degree. I just wonder if they have slimmed production down for each MP release, except for leaders or major characters.

11. Onilink

Onilink That's my secret, captain, my head always hurts

News Credits:
    Meh, don't see a problem with Takara splitting the offers in other adult line, all under the Spark hat (Yes, also Zoids, Diaclone and Transformers -dunno what TF lines, tbh).
    Masterpiece will continue with is own style and rules, there are some characters not really compatible with this line but that people wants, so the AMT line could help in that direction.
    Honestly a Volcanicus in MPG line would bother me much more than in another line, in parity with engineering.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I don't think a character being made in the AMT line is going to prevent an MPG version and vice-versa, especially if the two lines have different aesthetic and I believe also a different approach to scale. I do think though that Takara will try to allow some time to pass before releasing the same character and so we'll have to wait a bit before seeing MPG Predaking (same reason I don't think they'll make MP version of Haslab characters soon and why I', expecting MPG Devastator to be delayed after the Studio Series 86). As usual, I have been wrong in the past and I may be also this time, only time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Eh, I think it will be "certain types"of characters bring done in the other line anyway. If this is their version of SOC starting with a more obscure IDW Hot Rod, Im guessing the characters they do will be less " box-fitted" than with the mpg line. Im sure its someone somewhere collecting every SOC, but for the most part its a "pick what you like line", with a wide range of characters with some having nothing to do with each other. Even Predaking isn't exactly toon or toy, its based on a very specific depiction of him.

Im probably going against the grain but unless this Predaking doesnt transform or is 10 inches, they'll be no mpg predaking. They may use this line to drop, say a combiner in a much shorter period of time than Raiden.

14. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Is that what T-Spark is? Is that written somewhere? We can assume that's what it is, but to me the announcement is very unclear and I still don't know what to make of it. Takara has many fans outside of Japan but they are not providing any information translated from Japanese. For example, Masterpiece was not listed under T-Spark with the other 5 brands. So is AMT or whatever it's called replacing MPG? If not, is MPG still under the budget restricted side of Takara Tomy with Generations? Seems like it to me. So what do we make of that? MPG is not considered an adult oriented brand to TT? That's what it says to me. I'm very anxious for the next MPG preorder to drop so we can start getting some answers. An interview or something with TT about T-Spark would also help.

And before anyone tells me to translate the T-Spark announcement video myself, there is a lot of text in that video and I'm not pausing and translating all of that.

15. Onilink

News Credits:
    Not necessary:
    Takara Tomy T-Spark Project - Adamas Machina Rodimus & Predaking

Pretty much clear, tbh

• Like Like x 2
  16. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Thanks. I do not go into that thread because of the hostility and because I have zero interest in whatever those figures are supposed to be. But that still does not explain where MPG falls. There will be Transformers characters in the 5 T-Spark lines, but MPG is not under T-Spark or they would have said so. So I'm assuming MPG and Generations are outside of T-Spark and not considered to be part of their adult lines. And if AMT is replacing MP/MPG I may be mostly done with Takara.

17. Onilink

News Credits:
    All Transformers brand is under Spark line, we only don't know if mainline and kids toys are too.
    MPG and ML are under Spark hat

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming Generations and MPG are going to stay as they currently are with AMT added as an even higher end line with different design goals.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 4249david

4249david Click my avatar, you won't regret it...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've read all this discussion, but mistakenly on it was different to all I've seen posted.

It seems to me there's a hierarchy or umbrella approach.

T-Spark is a thing. It's their place to put a number of high-end adult focused initiatives.

It incorporates a number of new sub lines: Adamas Machina, Realize Model, TOYR!SE and MetamorVerse.

Those 4 lines make use of existing TT product IP, and collaborative efforts with others as and when.

So my interpretation is that Transformers IP will feature in one or more of those 4 lines, but that's it. Same applies to Zoids, and so on.

I don't see that all TF stuff suddenly comes under T-Spark. And, given that the MP60 announcement specifically said that it was being folded into MPG, I don't see anything to make me think that's changed.

I get that the MP thing seemed to have been a quick pivot, but I can't think that T-Spark was dreamt up overnight. It must have been well known about in advance of the MP60 solicitations, so I think MPG is the premium line for the Transformers IP. But that the IP will feature in the TT-level premium line(s) too.

Having said all that, there's no reason why - in due course - T-Spark couldn't swallow up the Premium lines for various IP. But I don't see it being an issue right now.

MP60 will come out. MPG-09 will come out. MPG-10 will be announced, and so on.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I think you’re right, too early to declare MP/MPG dead and we would’ve likely heard something about that by now.

• Like Like x 3