The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    The bad things about thes leaks is it lessens the chance that they’ve been working on a surprise figure we weren’t aware of. I guess there’s a BW release they’re working on for the anniversary, but it looks like we won’t see Rodimus or Galvatron again. Maybe Wheelie/ Exosuit Daniel as they didn’t show up in the Generation’s line.
    DE49FC81-6C8D-4039-8EAF-EA87847038F3.jpeg

2. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

I would actually prefer a third option: Rodimus transforming into a large car that plugs into a separate trailer. My reasoning for that preference is that there would be less compromises to both the robot mode and the trailer/alt-mode. Boring, perhaps, but I think it could lead to a beautifully proportioned and more clean-looking bot.

Also, a car+trailer set makes more sense for a toy repaint, assuming Takara is still doing those. My instinct is to say that TT would rather homage the G1 toy with detachable trailer and cannon, but I'm 50-50 on that speculation. On one hand, we have MP-44 with G1 references galore in his trailer (even if they didn't really appear to that extent in the animation), and on the other, we have MP Ultra Magnus, which does away with the original toy gimmick of white Optimus wearing armor. Makes it hard to say which approach they'll go for with Rodimus.

But of the options you've presented, I'd take an all-in-one over a Hot Rod gimmick. I really can't see them taking another go at it because - and I might be biased here - I just don't think they could ever make it be good. The size disparity between Hot Rod and Rodimus is too great. Scale matters a lot more now than when MP-09 was released. HR is always going to be too big in that scenario, and I can't see the Takara of today signing off on that.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

i thought Ohno designed MP Skids and that was stated in a recent interview? Because he did the original G1 Skids. I also thought he designed the new MP Seeker Mould and is working on Raiden for the same reason.

I’m not even convinced Kobayashi is working at TT these days. We haven’t heard a peep about him in a long time. Not since MP-44 was being developed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Fixed it for you. ;) 

As for me, it doesn't necessarily has to be an all-in-one transformation. I'm fine with a separate trailer too. But if they go that route, then please no Rodimus Prime and Hot Rod mode. Just Rodimus Prime and no compromises for Hot Rod.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Ohno said he was the designer and he also said it was designed by the guy who did MPM-3. Self contradicting. So maybe Ohno is the “lead” but the ones doing the heavy lifting design work are the younger ones, which means Kobayashi could still well be working on it (and quite possibly Starscream could be a Kobayashi design too).

Kobayashi is notoriously shy. In Binaltech era interviews he said he doesn’t like giving interviews, he thinks there shouldn’t be a cult around designers, he thinks toys should speak for themselves. The latest interview he did his face was intentionally obscured. Literally the fact that we haven’t heard much from him makes me 100% sure he’s still on the line in a prominent role. He’s probably the reason why most MP interviews lately have been with an unnamed “Design Team” rather than any named designers.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    True, but if the trailer only has to hold one car then it wouldn’t need to be too massive. They’ve sacrificed alt mode scale before to make the bot mode right.

Mainly I just think they’ll want to do something different, as a priority. I feel like just doing a Rodimus that turns into an Ugly Rod car mode and plugs into a trailer is a waste. There’s nothing exciting about that. An all-in-one would be exciting and new, and worth it.

yeah the size difference between Rodimus and Hot Rod is another problem, alongside the colour, that also makes me think they won’t do another two-in-one with both characters. It’s why I feel the all-in-one is the most likely option.

• Like Like x 6
  7. jackisking

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure the last 2 interviews FK and Generations book have both been Ono. If anything the Generations interview highlighted his design goals, cheaper, easier, an basically more fun. He's shouted out Onishi twice who did the sketch work for Skids. My guess is eventually Onishi will be the next lead designer as it looks like they are grooming him for the spot, kind of a lead designer-in- training. Kobayashi is still doing work somewhere for Takara, I doubt they bring in someone of Ono's pedigree to be anything but the lead designer.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Disagree completely. They brought in Ohno precisely simply for his pedigree, because he’s an og Diaclone designer and it sounds badass to bring him back. It seems like he gave the cues for Skids and Yuya Onishi did all the design work. In the case of Starscream it’s very clear that the design was done by Oshima as usual, for all G1 cartoon MPs since Megatron. I guess if Ohno is attached it means he sketched out the transformation but I wouldn’t be surprised if Kobayashi was involved and chose to remain anonymous. Anyway it’s possible Ohno did all the design work on Starscream but he didn’t do the sketches, and I’m sure he won’t be doing sketches for any important G1 cartoon MPs in the future either (i.e. Soundwave, Sideswipe, Grimlock, Rodimus, Jazz, Mirage)

we’re pretty clearly not going back to everyone being Skids style (just Skids and Raiden). Skyfire was clearly designed by Oshima and maybe the transformation is being worked out by Kobayashi. The fact that no designer claimed working on Arcee (a very recent MP) leads me to believe that that was Kobayashi’s work, too.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Paco Grande

i think you’re confusing the design of the figure with the concept sketch or the style guide. I’m not sure what you would actually call it for Transformers. In my industry you have “Industrial Designers” which are essentially artists that come up with the style or look of the product. They produce a bunch of concept sketches and a final sketch or 3D mock-up is selected as the goal for the look of the final product. Then the Engineers and/or designers have to try and make the product look as close as they can to that vision, but it also has to function as a real product so compromises have to be made along the way (like Megatron’s back).

So in your example of Skyfire, Oshima would be the concept artist or Industrial Designer for the look of the figure, but Kobayashi or someone else is the Designer for the actual mechanical joints, articulation and transformation. Anyway that’s how it is for my industry. I’m a Mechanical Designer but I don’t have anything to do with the concept sketches or final look of a product. I realize it sounds picky but for Transformers fans picky is the norm. :) 

• Like Like x 4
  10. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Yup but I'm not confusing anything, and I haven't negated anything that you said in my posts.

Ohno is the concept designer for MP Skids, but Yuya Onishi did the design for the transformation and all the other details, we can assume.

Yuki Oshima is the concept designer (animé sketches) for all cartoon MPs since MP-36 Megatron. He's clearly also the same concept designer for MP-52 Starscream. So it seems Ohno was involved in the transformation designs of Starscream. But that doesn't mean he did it all by himself, either, though it's quite possible.

With all the other MPs we've had since Oshima came on board, we can assume it's been Kobayashi doing the design work, since the designer hasn't been named (which is Kobayashi's MO).

• Like Like x 4
  11. BenLeong

BenLeong Well-Known Member

I don’t want an all-in-1 Rodimus. There would be insane amounts of kibble, and a massive backpack, and probably a butt plate, and his proportions would be chunky, and and and.

It seems pretty simple: take the original toy idea(robot plus detachable trailer), and make Masterpiece toon versions of both. That way, we get a perfect looking Rodimus, and a perfect looking trailer, and a perfect looking combined mode.

• Like Like x 10
  12. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

My point is that Takara wants to play the safest way to bring a good model in a cheap possible way (they want to sell the robot in the mass market)
    It would not surprise me if they made only the visible car part transformable (maybe only collapsing legs), just like arcee, with the difference that this time the trailer will be detachable (so no backpack).

I mean, that prices are for an Optimus Prime level of engineering, i think that we will have an high level carbot pricepoint for component, at maximum.
    I don't rule out the integrate combining parts, but UW Devastator isn't a good benchmark, Long Houl is totally different compared to his g1 part, only for support the integrated design.
    My speculation is that there will be combining parts, but reduced at minimum.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jackisking

News Credits:
    Physical Wonderfest has been canceled so another online show, which honestly amounts to a bunch of nothing. Means twitter and FK will be our best friend the next few months. No doubt they wanted to show off Shouki and a possible combined Prototype or mockup., but what can you do.

• Like Like x 6
  14. Paco Grande

Bandai has been doing excellent online events. I don’t see why TT couldn’t do a really simple reveal video showcasing what’s in the pipe. I don’t even need anyone speaking in the video. Just photos or short videos of each figure would be perfect for me.

• Like Like x 4
  15. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Well, at least I know what MPs I have incoming for February and March with Nightbird and Crosscut, respectively.

We have no confirmation on when MP Skyfire or MP Raiden will see a release. We also still have no confirmation or denial on an MP CJ.

This Masterpiece flight is grounded on the tarmac until Takara Tower gives us instruction and permission for take-off.
    :tumbleweed: 

• Like Like x 1
  16. jackisking

News Credits:
    Another 3-4 days till Figure King, fingers crossed, I'm anxious to see some proper pics. Maybe we'll get an interview

• Like Like x 4
  17. BenLeong

What do you think the chances are of Takara doing 2.0’s of Ironhide and Ratchet? Their 1.0’s don’t get talked about much anymore… and it’s always been disappointing to me. Both are such major characters in the show, but their MP mold just seemed to miss the mark in some ways, especially when standing next to newer figures in the line. It’s not just the weird hip skirts… there’s just an overall vibe about them that doesn’t feel like the cartoon for some reason, despite them being some of the first “toon aesthetic” attempts.

Personally, I just couldn’t get to the point of pulling the trigger on them. I know there are mod kits out there to address the hip skirt issue, but having to do all that was an idea that always bothered me. And the chest area of their mold just doesn’t look anything like the cartoon to me. I’d love a 2.0.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BenLeong

6D4148A6-5ED8-4DC1-B8B7-1968BB6411D3.jpeg

I used to think that while Ironhide totally didn’t look like the cartoon, Ratchet matched up better. But taking another look after not seeing them for a while, I no longer think that. They both look weird.

• Like Like x 3
  19. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Votes MPG-07 = Mixmaster

So with Haslab Victory Saber coming out as a CHUG figure, does that mean MP-24 V2.0 is off the table? Or getting a Victory Leo to compliment the current MP-24? Don't want TT competing against Hasbro.

Or will the Japanese figures prove popular and convince TT to dip more into the later cartoon series?

• Like Like x 1
  20. jackisking

News Credits:
    Will enough people be happy with that enough that they don't think its need for an MP, who knows. It's an easy pass for me as I think MP Star Saber still looks a lot better. Maybe if they finally get into JPG1 and we start getting Ginrai and such they may attempt a Star Saver 2.0 and Leo.

Actually I'm more amazed people still dont realize what Haslab is and how it functions.

• Like Like x 1