The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster ...

News Credits:
    I already have FT Jazz on PO, Downbeat on display and instantly pre-ordering FT Cliffjumper when he goes up, but i'm also 100% on board and excited for when Takara finally gets to them. I'm really hoping that Mirage being a 911 in RotB is some sort of sign. Though like how @Chris C137 put it and what we've seen in the past, this movie deal doesn't exactly IMMEDIATELY translate to a clear path towards the destined toys we so much want.

No, Perceptor's microscope didn't need any license so he's pretty much on the table whenever Takara is ready.

Similarly with Jazz and Cliff, I have FT Brawn, but upon getting him around last year, he just didn't live up to the hype, personally. So i'd KILL for an official MP Brawn. Though licensing on him ends up being a real good question. He officially is noted to turn into a 2nd gen Suzuki Jimny (what others may know as the Suzuki SAMURAI), though Brawn's ends up being very off-model (Not just chibified as a penny racer, but IIRC there were a couple more notable changes). So I wonder if it ends up being too far off-model to even carry the license or if Suzuki would need to swoop in for Brawn to even be made.

(Side note, I miss Suzuki being in the US with more than just sick motorcycles. Would have loved to see that new Jimny driving before my very eyes...)

It's an awesome way to wake up, exactly how I felt with FT Cliffjumper the other day. Either that or just randomly browsing boards and finding a store listing that only JUST went up. Then you gotta tackle both the excitement and also grabbing every photo online & running with them to the boards, haha.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I'm already prepping for the sticker shock on the upcoming MP Skyfire. He'll be 2022's BIG release......literally.

• Like Like x 4
  3. ThatGuyCalledBlaster

ThatGuyCalledBlaster ...

News Credits:
    I'm absolutely anticipating $350+, though I wouldn't be surprised if we somehow make it to $400.

• Like Like x 3
  4. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Jetfire: “I’m big, I’m going to run your mortgage that month, and I was awesome in, like, 3 episodes.

Eat it, Skids.”

• Like Like x 5
  5. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    This. Can plan accordingly too. If I knew Soundwave v2 and Galvatron were coming alongside Skyfire budgetting would be much easier!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I've been thinking about this, and this seems a better place to have a reasoned discussion right now instead of the news thread, and I'm coming at it from the Masterpiece angle anyway.

It appears very probable that the next Haslab project is Victory Saber. Where I'm coming up with questions is here:
    1. We've already got a Star Saber in Masterpiece. The Haslab Victory Saber will no doubt be better. It will be more complete, for one thing, including Victory Leo, but also possibly a more balanced blend between cartoon and toy styles. But does this mean there will never be a MP Star Saber 2.0? Never a MP Victory Leo? And if there will be such figures one day, will they be better than the Haslab version?
    2. Why Victory Saber in Haslab? Is he too complex to be done satisfactorily even at Masterpiece level? And if so, what does that portend for similarly large, complex figures like God Ginrai? Off the table for Masterpiece, but on the table for Haslab?
    3. Does it seem wise to be making the same character in two different high-end collector-focused lines? Is this not splitting an already niche customer base, and putting Masterpiece and Haslab in competition with each other?

• Like Like x 4
  7. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    I honestly have no idea, maybe this is a mold they developed for another series and decided with the crowd fun to get it made. No interest in a $300 chug Star Saber/Victory Lio. This is different from Unicron whose attraction to MP collectors was he was huge.

Still don't forsee a problem with Ginrai. The original LG sold well, as well as it making the last survey.

8. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

We don’t know for sure yet, but I think you’re assuming too much with respect to the Haslab version being comparable to an MP. Right now it looks like it was on the table to be a Commander class release but they weren’t sure it would sell so they put it in Haslab. The rumoured price for the Haslab Star Saber is $200-250 with a Victory Leo thrown in. That doesn’t sound like an MP to me. I’m thinking it’s going to be a lower production run of a Commander class and leader class bundle.

You are definitely correct in wondering if this means future MPs of these characters are off the table. I keep hearing that TF are not very popular in Japan so they most likely don’t want to bother making too many MPs that would not be as popular outside of Japan. I guess? Or this may be a test of sorts and if the Haslab project does well they may start doing more Japanese G1 characters in the CHUG lines and MP. I’m anxious to see the figure and price for this new Haslab project so we can hopefully get some answers to these questions.

9. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    It's a shame Hasbro didn't go big with an MP mold for a Haslab. Once upon a time I would have thought Skyfire was perfect. Personally I would love more JPG1 characters for MPs. Unfortunately Transformers isn't as big there and there are so many other things to spend money on, there are probably quite a few people willing to settle for a Generations version.

Still its July hopefully we get news of something soon especially with the fall Wonderfest.

10. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    Hasbro has nothing to do with MP, so I don't see this release greatly affecting any future MP releases. Its targeted towards CHUG collectors, no different than releasing an Ultra Magnus in both MP and Generations.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Paco Grande

I think it would be very scary if they ever did an MP in a HasLab project. Dangerous precedent.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Yeah, I would say my impression of Haslab right now is that it's actually higher-end than Masterpiece. Admittedly there's not much to base that on, yet, but including the non-Transformers Haslab projects that have been done so far, it seems to be aiming for that no-price-too-high, sky's-the-limit kind of pieces. It could well be a lower-end Commander class mold with some bells and whistles added on, but that also sets a bit of a dangerous precedent, I think. Haslab shouldn't be a dumping ground for failed concepts.

Star Saber is just a head-scratching choice to me, though. Hasbro has hardly showed any interest in him, ever. Never released a single toy of him in their markets. And now he's the next Haslab? He's the guy who's more popular in Japan, I would have to assume. Yesterday I would have guessed Star Saber as the next Masterpiece and God Ginrai as the next Haslab, for example. As the character with nostalgia in Hasbro's markets, he would be the one they would spend a lot of money on, knowing people would buy him. Star Saber feels like more of an unknown.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Paco Grande

The Star Wars HasLab projects look high end, especially the Razor Crest. That thing looks incredible! But as you said, so far the only Transformers HasLab project was not that high end. Just really large. I'm still bummed about them screwing up the maw colour. I'm thinking that's exactly what HasLab may become. A dumping ground for anything they don't think will sell in the stores. Like that UT Prime concept that a lot of people seem to want. I'm betting that it will show up as a HasLab project eventually.

14. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

Eh, i dunno.
    An Unicron remold could be neat (not now, in 5-6 years just to settle the water)

But anyway, if they do Jetfire now, they can do anyone without HasLab support, maybe a downscaled but more articulated Unicron with scenario mode could be the way to sell the robot, i don't know.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  15. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    No 3P reveal has ever had the same impact as a true TT MP reveal

• Like Like x 7
  16. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Subjective. But I'm on this hill and ready to die too :D 

17. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    There is no subjectivity. There is only Zuul.

• Like Like x 3
  18. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

News Credits:
    Still waiting for Soundwave 2.0

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    None of that sounds good to me, I surely hope Haslab doesn't end up in that direction. It has the potential to be so much more. When they first teased it yesterday, with the Victory logo, I actually had the thought that it was a feint, that the project was literally the Victory, the Decepticon spaceship they build in MTMTE and wreck and then use as their underwater headquarters. And then I imagined they could sell it in a plexiglass display case that you could actually fill with water if you wanted to.

That's what I see as the potential of Haslab, just some balls-out lunacy that absolutely under no circumstances could ever be sold in a store. And not, you know, just a guy who's kind of big. Like if Ferris got the keys to the Ferrari and then just drove it to school like it was any other day. And you just want to shake your head, or shake Hasbro and go "You got the keys to the Ferrari, man! Don't drive it to school, drive it out the window like a fucking BOSS!"

• Like Like x 3
  20. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

I think skyfire will be around MP BW Megatron pricepoint. Is big but not complex

• Like Like x 2