The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Has everyone seen this yet?

New In hand Review of SS86 Slag

I am really hoping that these leader class Dinobots are previews to even better MP versions. The transformation of the chest and dino mouth is really clever. I think with a bit more budget for finger joints, more transformation complexity and paint would make these perfect. Hasbro/TT are killing me. I'm buying tons of CHUG figures these days because they are so good and if they make MP versions I'll be buying those as well. My wallet weeps!

I really don't mind if the MPs go back to having a less complex transformation and slightly less articulation as long as they still look like the toon in both modes and they paint them in the right places. Arcee is an excellent example of strategic paint placement to minimize paint wear.

• Like Like x 3
  2. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I think it'd be a pretty worthwhile way to get past any worries of appeal to cost on the non-Grimlock Dinobots. The main line is simplifying MP designs a lot lately, and it certainly makes sense to engineer them up too (or hell, for all we know, these Leader Dinobots are simplified versions of MP designs).

3. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I'm hoping. Some of the CHUG figures are so nice these days I'm hoping their plan is to share some of the engineering and design two figures at once. The complex version and the simpler version. And also use the CHUG figures as a sales test to see how popular they are as characters. The SS Dinobots appear to be a big hit with fans so far and hopefully that translates into MP figures later. So far Slag is getting more hype and praise than Grimlock did so that's a good sign!

The rumours are saying that we are getting a new CHUG Menasor combiner next year and I'm very curious to see how that turns out as well. Especially Motormaster. Will they use a separate trailer for combiner parts or attempt an all-in-one design with the trailer incorporated into Motormaster's bot mode? Earthrise Prime's trailer is pretty small which makes me wonder if they will attempt to integrate the trailer. The rumour is that Motormaster is a leader class figure this time so it sounds like he will have a trailer. I'm thinking that however they handle the new CHUG version may be a hint as to how they plan to handle the (possible) MP version.

• Like Like x 1
  4. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

I thought MM was rumored to be commander class? That would seem a little big for sure and a leader makes more sense.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I also heard the Commander class rumor. I suspect he's going to be heavily toon-based and the trailer will form the Menasor skeleton with the cars attaching.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mung daal

Mung daal Dancing is forbidden

I think he was supposed to come with two trailers thus explaining the commander class price point.

7. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Kind of concerning, Menasor is the one we think has the least chance of happening because of licenses and is the only combiner mentioned. On the hand it may mean their leaning toward doing the others possibly,if demand is there.

Piggybacking off of @Paco Grande , I would be fine if they didnt paint the gray to keep the cost down as long as the other colors are painted. I was seriously disappointed with FT's Snarl as not only was the gray unpainted but so was most of his red chest.

8. Mung daal

On a separate note does the hero x book usually contain news in it, sure would be nice to see some Skyfire line art, also jazz is right next to skids on the cover of the book could this mean jazz is MP-54? PSX_20210506_214303.jpg :inquisiti 

• Like Like x 4
  9. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Nah, I would say that’s just wishful thinking. They’ve mixed lines up before in the artwork to suit whatever they’re promoting at the time. I’m sure that’s just SS Jazz put next to MP Skids. I wonder if there’s any traction with the idea that the mainline figures are sort of a pre-trial run for future MP’s. That Jazz looks fantastic and I’m tempted to pick one up, but I’m not really dipping into many mainline figures these days. I’m trying to stick to vintage G1 and G1 MP. I’ve been strongly considering getting the season 3 characters from the mainline and calling it good, so I don’t need to spend money on S3 MP’s. They look really amazing and we as a fandom, are totally spoiled for choice right now. What a great time to be a TF fan/collector.

10. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    Everything else on the cover is WFC/SS. That's just SS86 Jazz.

11. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

Ebay:
    54 is Reboost, but I get what you meant. Jazz as 55 would be cool, but yeah, I expect that is just SS86.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the art is supposed to only reflect figures released (or announced and on sale, anyway) so it's gotta be SS86, even if Jazz was MP55.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I think it means that we’ll turn any Jazz sighting into a hope and get reeeaaalllly excited about it

• Like Like x 4
  13. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

Dinobots are big, but they have really simply transformations. If Takara can squeeze the "masterpiece moment" in a 60 dollar toy, a "black mambish" upscaled model could totally works

• Like Like x 1
  14. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Normally this month would set off a run of shows over the coming months, but Takara has pretty much avoided any publicity using them the past year, so theres no idea what to really expect. I doubt Skids is the only reveal this year, and from the interview it seems like whatever behind the scene issue Raiden had, has been cleared up. Whether we see something the next few months or later remains to be seen.

15. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

Wild idea: scramble city combiners will have the leader that combine with an UltraMagnus like armour to form the central body

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mung daal

This will probably be the case since next year's chug motormaster will be commander class according to leakers, and it's only a matter of time till takara starts to take cue's from hasbro.

17. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Since 2.0, 3.0 is all the rage I think old Magnus deserves a 2nd chance at MP. For me though they have to go the toy route with a white cab robot. However the robot does not need to match any MP Prime, 10, 44, etc.. It can be it's own mold and armor with the trailer. What say you?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

I'd definitely be down for that. A more G1 toy inspired Masterpiece would be pretty awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    No ones talking about the Skyfire protype yet?

20. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally would like Magnus to be the white robot with the trailer as armour. Always loved the white Prime bot and I like the idea of him not being just a straight repaint of one of the other MP Primes.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Although what I think would happen would be something like Roadking. Black Magic engineering that makes the cap and trailer transform into a bot slightly taller than MP Prime since that's what he was like in the cartoon.
    IMG_4400-1024x682.jpg IMG_4851-1024x682.jpg

• Like Like x 4