The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

Well, for the combiners i think they will take the Skids route. Not in aestethics (toon style), but in engineering. Less parts= stronger component. And don't forget that you have to sell a team of 5 or 6 robot as a lot. So, price is an important factor.

• Like Like x 6
  2. MSWF377

MSWF377 Michael Scarn

This totally makes sense and I’m 100% for it. Each constructicon doesn’t need super articulation

• Like Like x 2
  3. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I'd buy MP Menasor in a heartbeat, because Stunticons. Just sayin'.
    :cool: 

• Like Like x 3
  4. D307

D307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can dig that. Just as long as they don't cut out as many parts as they did from CW Devastator. I think Raiden will be an excellent precursor as to what we can expect from combiners moving forward. I'm expecting $600.00 on the high end here. I think much more is going to price a lot out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they do Raiden like Skids, it would be interesting to see if they do other combiners like Bruticus. Although I would prefer they didn't do toon Menasor, even though the individual Stunticons look pretty cool.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

It may be that they’re trying to see if individually less-popular characters that aren’t necessarily must-haves for a lot of folks will do well at a lower price, with the added bonus of making larger characters and combiners more possible.

I can’t imagine that any design for a combiner is easy, but it must be doubly hard if the standard is the insanely complex level of other recent releases. Something twice the size of MP-44 made up of 5 individuals may not be feasible from the cost side, and honestly might not work at that level of complexity. Could be Skids opens the door for a lot of that stuff.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

Any word on an MP44 re-issue? I still haven't got that figure, and I don't feel like paying $550 for it, as that's rather ludicrous...and I just - FINALLY - bought a car last month. Don't get me wrong, I can absolutely afford it, but I just don't wanna pay $550 for a figure that might have exploding knees. Would rather a re-issue with MP49's knee fix come out, for hopefully a much cheaper price.

Soundwave V2? ...Anything making ya'll discuss that one so much? I went back like 6 pages, but didn't really feel like going back any further, so I could've missed something. I'd certainly love a Soundwave V2 and a Sideswipe V2. Granted, I still say Grimlock V2 is the most needed, partly due to scale.

8. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Well how about that, I was only off by 10.

:D 

• Like Like x 5
  9. Toddimus

Toddimus Well-Known Member

I agree mostly about the order of the carbots. I would personally like to see Mirage or Jazz next followed up by Trailbreaker and then Jazz or Mirage as the grand finale so to speak. Jazz and Mirage were both more popular characters than Trailbreaker so kind of sprinkling in the higher end on the list characters makes sense to me.

I do expect the Datsuns to get + releases at some point but I think Sideswipe really should get the next V2. The Datsuns are still some of the best MP's made IMO. I'd like to see Ironhide and Ratchet get + versions after all of that too.

The minibots do need to be sprinkled in and I think and hope we see that happen.

I hope Takara does a Reflector as the third party ones don't really satisfy me aesthetically.

The thing about Raiden is Takara can kind of work kinks out with them before they release the Constructicons which are the most popular combiner team in Transformers lore. I'd like for them to get Devastator right rather than release, have issues, and then have to go back and do a V2 or + if possible.

Skyfire probably opens the door up for characters like Blaster, Perceptor, and dare I say it- Omega Supreme. Can't wait to see the price point and scale on an Omega Supreme! Not to mention all of the Decepticon factions already on the table like Astrotrain and Blitzwing, the Insecticons, and etc.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Datsuns did get + releases. Did you mean V2's?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mung daal

Mung daal Dancing is forbidden

Inside word is that MP-55 is astrotrain, he can play crazy train if you put batteries in his backpack and he comes with an Ozzy Osbourne minifigure.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Honestly, Ozzy Osbourne fans are hardcore enough that they'd go for that.

I used to work at a comic shop during the late-90's-early-2000's toy boom, and the only thing that was guaranteed to sell more product to metalheads than Ozzy was anything branded Kiss. Those folks make us histrionic TF geeks look like a calm group of reasonable Vulcan-people.

• Like Like x 3
  13. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    So if UW Devastator is our base height for combiners, we should still be able to get limb bots in scale for the most part. Some pics to compare with. , Hook is a tad taller than Hot Rod, but i think it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect Ironhide size Constructicons and Hot Rod size limb bots for most of the 5-member teams. I'd imagine the Aerialbot limbs would be Ironhide height.
    6105f18f-71d5-4ccc-8578-9a21fefbd2a7.jpg masterpiece hot rodimus 45.JPG
    Even the combined height isn't as as people make, Grapple is a big boy and this doesn't look that out of place
    imagesff.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  14. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

Ebay:
    Skyfire is the problem. And the dinos. They should be crotch/gut level on a combiner, and at least a full head taller than OP.

FT Phoenix is spot on with that, but comes up to UW Devy's chest. As soon as he arrived I sold Devy and went in on the Zeta scale.

If this means I don't go official for figures taller than OP, so be it, but I don't want them that out of whack

• Like Like x 2
  15. jackisking

News Credits:
    They may not be able to pull it off strictly going by the numbers, but visually it should look close enough. I admit you would probably want more than 4 inches between dinobot/Skyfire/Combiner but I would imagine in keeping with their design philosphy, they wouldn't be as bulky as the FT ones either. Even is they really couldn't shrink Magnus much farther, I think they could make him a lot less bulky which visually would reduce his overall size. You'd also have to take into consideration how much 3rd party doesn't factor in to this for most of their buyers. The only real comparison stick would be what they've already seen from takara

• Like Like x 2
  16. Prime135

Prime135 Jill Rhyme the science Prime

News Credits:
    Been saying this is what they would do for years.

Do we know for sure that Raiden is devy height? If so that should line up well with individual bot scale in the show.

• Like Like x 3
  17. jackisking

News Credits:
    Hasn't been confirmed, as to what unite warrior height they are referring too, but if they are making them Masterpiece you would assume a priority would also be scale in bot modes, don't know if they could do that at UW Superion height.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Mung daal

Mung daal Dancing is forbidden

I propose MP-27+ and possibly MP-30+, I find it highly likely that these may happen due to the fact that MP-29 shockwave had still gotten a Plus release despite the fact that he already came with toon insignias. Ironhide plus would have legs painted grey instead of silver and would also have a sloppier auto bot insignia like in the cartoon.
    His weapons would also be painted grey instead of chrome in order to match up with the more recent blasters, And fingers crossed Takara gets rid of the hipskirts. Don't get me wrong I think mp 27 looks awesome but everything can always be better and it's an easy money squeeze for Takara.

• Like Like x 2
  19. jackisking

News Credits:
    Found another place where a hybrid design could come into play. @Chris C137 brought up how Hotspots altmode differs between the toon and toy. With the toy being a Fuso and the toon version the American fire truck. The question would be which design would Takara use? The toon accurate model or the Fuso they originally based him on?

20. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    it’s not a “sloppy” insignia it’s a white outline one :wink: 

they could include an extra face for each of them too (aside from the two they came with)

I’d prefer a v2 with better articulation but I’d take a plus release for sure. Don’t know if they can figure out the hip panels but if they can add deeper elbow bends to a plus release that would be nice too (like the change we saw between Skids’ original prototype and the final version). They could probably add in an ab crunch easily too. And wrist tilt. From memory I think knee bends on that mould would be problematic because of the panel behind the lower leg.

• Like Like x 4