The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Gee sorry to bother you by making polite conversation and attempting to clarify my earlier point. I didn't realize I was limited to only one post per subject. Good thing you're a TFW moderator and can tell me what to post! Oh wait...

I jest, but in all seriousness if I'm bothering you, feel free to ignore me. My feelings won't be hurt.

As for Raiden, regardless of your opinion it is Takara's first licensed train-related figure and their first attempt at a masterpiece combiner. Obviously to them it is an important project. Whether you personally care for the character is absolutely irrelevant. Myself, I have zero attachment to the character and am only about 50% likely to actually purchase it. Nevertheless it is still 100% a special release.

• Like Like x 3
  2. BombSquad

BombSquad Lies! It's all lies!

News Credits:
    Actually saying that "[...]a new Skyfire [is] being worked on" (rough translation) is much more concrete to me than past comments about characters they want to do or are merely considering. I think mentioning Skyfire in the same context as the confirmed-for-release Trainbots signals that they intend to release him within the next few years.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    No previous MPs have ever been mentioned in this way.

In interviews when Shogo Hasui was lead designer he said he would like to make Bruticus and Jazz. He never said they were in development.
    The design team said they would like to complete all the Arkbots, but they never said they were in development.

Interviewers have asked about Trailbreaker and Hoist or minibots, but those were names brought up by the interviewers and talked about hypothetically.

This time is different, this is the first time an MP has been revealed via an interview. It wasn't mentioned in passing, Ono clearly stated that Masterpiece Skyfire is in the works. It wasn't the interviewer who brought up the name, it was Ono revealing that Skyfire is coming. It's an unusual reveal for sure, but it's not gossip, it's gospel :cool: 

• Like Like x 13
  4. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Add in it's not just some anonymous designer interview, they're actually interviewing Ono has been lead designer on the last couple of MPs. If they were going all in on Raiden I think we would see something like with what happened with Dinobot, where it was the only release and a ton of repaints. He may not be immediate but he's most likely in the 2-year window. I think this was the first interview where they openly made mention of multiple projects at the same time in parallel, makes me think what ever is in development will all drop relatively close to each other.

I wonder if we're entering another soft reboot, where complexity on some figures is scaled down some, along with prices capping off for the most part, and increase in releases. If Raiden isn't a gift set,I don't see them not completing him in a year, so like Skids we would see multiple releases in a month. If they can do that, its certainly feasible to expect more consistency in releases. Think minibots and insecticons are perfect for that if they wanted to try for the multiple releases on rare occasions. I wouldn't be surprised if all 12? original minibots are on the table, if they can do Skids for 75 after discount, no way they can't deliver cheaper than MP45 minibots.

• Like Like x 4
  5. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Proud member of the Cult of Scorponok

News Credits:
    Jeez, you guys. Ōno said they're working on Skyfire.

THEY'RE WORKING ON SKYFIRE!

• Like Like x 5
  6. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Oh, you're not bothering me, and I very rarely put anyone on ignore. I was pointing out that opinions were stated, heard, and understood. It just seems a bit redundant to repeat the same thing over again. However, I digress. To each their own :cool: 
    Fact still remains that the designer mentioned that Skyfire and the choo choo combiner were being worked on. It was not conjecture or future plans. This was what others who speak/understand the Japanese language were trying to convey.
    Yes, there have been characters that were mentioned that the designers would like to eventually do. Heck, there were even those who inferred that prototypes had been created awhile back (Jazz being one of them).
    Nobody is saying designers have not stated what they hope to work on down the road. It's just with Skyfire, this is not the case. He isn't a future project, he is a current project.
    As for Raiden, I had never even heard of him until his announcement. In the grand scheme of combiners, I don't see him selling as well here as in Japan. A combiner like Devestator or Superion seem to be more popular here in the west. It's also hard to say how much his sales will play into the inevitable release of future MP combiner sets. I have zero doubt Raiden will sell out in Japan though.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

It’s funny because other than Skids, Raiden is probably my most anticipated of upcoming MPs. I’d never heard of him before a couple of months ago, and I don’t even like combiners (although I do like the individual team members).

8. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think my first time hearing about Raiden was when I went to japan in 2004 and bought an entire box of Heroes of Cybertron boxes. And I got this guy:
    058549C0-4AE5-4A0F-976A-58CB4B934A5C.jpeg

Ever since then he was a pretty interesting figure. Especially since going back and watching the rest of Japanese G1. I’m extra pumped for MP Raiden.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Radioguy

Radioguy Hair's always frizzy

Speaking generally about Raiden from an American perspective, I knew of the fact that there were Japanese train TFs, but didn't expect them to have any fanbase outside the Japanese region. If folks outside Japan buy an MP Raiden, I feel it's more likely to be more completists of the MP line, or Japanese expats.

Someone else assumed some secondary appeal to train hobbyists, but as someone who has a toe in that pool, there's barely any domestic rail hobby interest for that region. It's usually classic Americana, modern era, or some German imports due to Märklin making inroads in the USA decades ago. Meanwhile, TFs were done of everything in Japan, so that TFs or GBs existed was not surprising beyond one or two popular here, but for a set of combiners, you would only imagine Japan as a place it would sell and be marketed for.

I do wonder if Hasbro had a debate as to whether requesting a retool for domestic locos was warranted, and how far that might have gone though. Things like Loco and Astrotrain work as marginal vehicle modes here, but I wonder if sketches were done up on American models from GE, EMD, etc. A few decades ago, the American train hobbyist market was stronger, and I could almost imagine them trying that. Sadly, now one has to go out of their way to be one today, and kids only get exposed when their own parents introduce them to the hobby; there's no store exposure anymore for even entry level brands like Bachmann.

It any event, Raiden is not an MP for me, but I'm happy for those who want him.

10. jackisking

News Credits:
    Looks like the original numbers were off, Skids is looking like $62-63 after discount. I guess the question is he more Ironhide/Hot Rod or Prowl/Wheeljack in design and how much articulation was sacrificed. This is probably the best excuse ever to pick up a repaint, it basically works out to 2 for the price of 1 carbot.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

mmmh..

How much is tall this guy? It seems Takara rails compatible (To be fair, it seems a little smaller, so we can have an inferior limits about a "smaller combiner with 4 trains")

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  12. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

Ebay:
    That's six minutes of my life I won't get back!

Not sure it really tells us how tall Raiden could be. You just make longer trains for more bulk and height.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jackisking

News Credits:
    Think we'll have an idea come June or July on what they are working with.

14. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right, i should have point to the exact minute ahahahah.

Anyway, the more i search about trains compatible and bot scale (and i could say that an ironhide-size robot could totally transform in a takara plairail compatible train), the more i think that Raiden would be only slightly bigger than a Starsaber.... we'll see.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Well, gotta say that price rage on Skids ain’t bothering me at all. 6860 yen makes him the least expensive piece since...

... shit, I don’t even remember. Tracks?

could they be bringing the prices down overall? Maybe just on carbots?

16. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The pricing reflects the design complexity. Skids has a very MP2.0 design-- not unlike the Datsuns-- and is cheaper as a result. As long as TT keeps making animation-style bots that literally turn inside-out to hide their alt-mode components, the pricing will remain high. I don't think the toon-accuracy fans would appreciate a "step back" to the hybrid style, even if it comes at a discount. A shame, but that's where the market is now, apparently. I practically stopped collecting MPs after Ratchet, making an exception for Cordon, which I find simply gorgeous.

17. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

The consensus so far is that Skids is an exception because he didn’t really show up in the toon much. So they are basing his figure on the toy version. The designer also seems to be keen on a simpler transformation. He is not as articulated as other modern MPs, has less accessories etc. so he has a lower price. He’s also not a popular character. You can tell just by looking at his forum thread page count compared to other figures.

So Skids is looking to be an outlier and not the norm so far. We will only know for sure when the next carbot is revealed. The seekers are definitely still very much toon influenced, but to be honest their prices are lower than I expected. Maybe because they are doing all three in one year which allows them to pay for the tooling faster?

• Like Like x 4
  18. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Pipes dream (pun intended), but if Takara released an MP Jazz at Skids price point, I really would be buying 5 copies :cool: 
    However, we all know that won't be the case, so 3 Jazz it will remain.

BTW, preordered Skids and Reboost off Ami.

• Like Like x 1
  19. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

It’s been said before but I suspect Jazz will be the last Carbot from G1. In this order: Trailbreaker, Hoist, Sideswipe V2, Mirage then Jazz. I would put new Datsuns in there, but with all three getting plus releases, and two of them getting new faces and accessories, I just don’t know if that will happen. I also think we’ll see some minibots sprinkled in there from season 1 and 2. Maybe retools into the season three minis. It seems like they’re getting a bit more love over the last 10 years or so. Having said that, I think it will all be stretched out over the next five years. I wonder what the inclusion of Skyfire means for the line? Random addition or the possibility for Dinobots or Reflector? Hmmmmm....

I guess Raiden could be a litmus test for future combiners but he’s also sort of tied to that train event in Japan, right? I guess I’ve thought of him as being a one and done kind of deal, but maybe they have other things planned. Someone like Devastator would have been a better choice in my mind, but maybe they think the UW version is good enough for now.

• Like Like x 3
  20. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

If the prices go back to reasonable, I may come out of collecting retirement and replace some of my 3rd Party characters with the official releases. Probably not for Skids, though. Don't care enough about the character to buy him again.

• Like Like x 2