The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bro.... It is officially in a Figure King interview with TT MP developers. What fun conspiracy theories do you have to help us all believe that the MP Skyfire 'rumors' are fAkEnEwS?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only real thing one could say it not being true is that it was mistranslated from Skywarp.

Although I think that's a stretch.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Roadbuster25

Roadbuster25 Well-Known Member

MP Hound execution really soured my opinion about official G1 MPs. I hope Takara doesnt screw up the seekers and future figures.

• Like Like x 3
  4. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    It 100% wasn’t mistranslated... they’re names are unquestionably set in stone in Japanese. スカイフアイア and スカイワープ. Not sure where the ‘mistranslation’ rumor came from but their names are well documented and known in Japanese. If Figure King typed a different name than was said that would be a rather large kerfuffle. The MP-doubt-train has come and gone so many times. Skyfire is coming. I for one am saving up for 2.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Radioguy

Radioguy Hair's always frizzy

I really hope the range ticks up again to where there's more picked up by Hasbro, and they get onto Target, GameStop, and Walmart shelves; not just online as preorders.

Be nice if Diamond could have more, and comic shops and in turn would have more too.

6. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe Is it...Safe???

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Many names have been bandied about in interviews over the years, including Huffer, Perceptor, Hoist, Trailbreaker, Galvatron and more. It’s made me an empiricist when it comes to these things. Just because a figure is mentioned as “in development“ in some magazine doesn’t mean it’s coming soon or at all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Screw the Doubt Train.
    All Aboard the Hype Train :D 

MP Skyfire will be soaring into our lives, probably next year.
    I have zero doubt that we will get the remainder of the Ark crew.
    I also think we will see V2 Swipe.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm almost certain Skyfire is coming, just a matter of when, as I don't recall them saying how far in development he was in or if they just started. The main thing of confusion that came from the interview was whether or not Raiden would be UW Devastator height or just UW Combiner height.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Not saying I subscribe to the idea that Skyfire isn't an upcoming MP, but in the past there were also interviews with MP designers that clearly had the names of Trailbreaker and Hoist and the designer talking about them. And thus everyone was talking about them being next in line.

Then it turned out that the translation was in error. The names were correct, but it wasn't the designer who brought them up. It was the interviewer asking how they would make them different in case they were being made.

Again, not saying I subscribe to the idea that this appies to Skyfire (I don't). Not saying I don't think he's coming (I do), but we have a previous example of an incomplete and misunderstood translation with correct spelling of TF names that lead to people thinking certain characters were immenent in the MP line.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Everbody else seems to start with Slag, don't see why Takara wouldn't. So would we see gold metallic or gold chrome paint for some parts and chrome or pearlescent gray or white for others? Personally I think anything Hasbro is leaving "white" on the Dinobots are in fact supposed to be colored chrome. I don't think they would care about humoungous alt modes if they scaled about Magnus height in bot mode for the 4, so I dont think they are as undoable as people believe. I mentioned in the kingdom thread how nice it would be to have MP Dinobots that actually had some articulation and posability.

Slag1.png Slag2.png received_284459346592660.jpeg received_1347635665618137.jpeg

The difference this time is the interview was actually leaked first by a Japanese speaker and then later confirmed by even more japanese speakers, in comparison the interview last time was translated by google translate, hence the misunderstanding.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Stryder Wolfe

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    You guys are misunderstanding me in the Skyfire comment... I’m not saying there was a mistranslation in the interview, I am simply saying that just because one designer mentioned in passing that they have done work on a Skyfire does not mean that it will ever actually be released, and certainly does not mean that it is coming very soon or next year. It could come in 2023, 2026, 2030 or never come at all. I’ll believe it when an official announcement happens, but not because of a single off-the-cuff comment. I also do not believe that they would release a Skyfire around the same time they will be releasing Raiden, because such a large bot would take away from the “specialness” of Raiden. YMMV

12. SunSwipe5

Dude, we get it and that's your opinion. You voiced it, other's voiced their own opposing opinion. Agree to disagree and move on :) 

BTW, Raiden is not everyone's cup of tea, and would not quantify it as special.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stryder Wolfe

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Gee sorry to bother you by making polite conversation and attempting to clarify my earlier point. I didn't realize I was limited to only one post per subject. Good thing you're a TFW moderator and can tell me what to post! Oh wait...

I jest, but in all seriousness if I'm bothering you, feel free to ignore me. My feelings won't be hurt.

As for Raiden, regardless of your opinion it is Takara's first licensed train-related figure and their first attempt at a masterpiece combiner. Obviously to them it is an important project. Whether you personally care for the character is absolutely irrelevant. Myself, I have zero attachment to the character and am only about 50% likely to actually purchase it. Nevertheless it is still 100% a special release.

• Like Like x 3
  14. BombSquad

BombSquad Commander Broadside Proponent

News Credits:
    Actually saying that "[...]a new Skyfire [is] being worked on" (rough translation) is much more concrete to me than past comments about characters they want to do or are merely considering. I think mentioning Skyfire in the same context as the confirmed-for-release Trainbots signals that they intend to release him within the next few years.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    No previous MPs have ever been mentioned in this way.

In interviews when Shogo Hasui was lead designer he said he would like to make Bruticus and Jazz. He never said they were in development.
    The design team said they would like to complete all the Arkbots, but they never said they were in development.

Interviewers have asked about Trailbreaker and Hoist or minibots, but those were names brought up by the interviewers and talked about hypothetically.

This time is different, this is the first time an MP has been revealed via an interview. It wasn't mentioned in passing, Ono clearly stated that Masterpiece Skyfire is in the works. It wasn't the interviewer who brought up the name, it was Ono revealing that Skyfire is coming. It's an unusual reveal for sure, but it's not gossip, it's gospel :cool: 

• Like Like x 13
  16. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Add in it's not just some anonymous designer interview, they're actually interviewing Ono has been lead designer on the last couple of MPs. If they were going all in on Raiden I think we would see something like with what happened with Dinobot, where it was the only release and a ton of repaints. He may not be immediate but he's most likely in the 2-year window. I think this was the first interview where they openly made mention of multiple projects at the same time in parallel, makes me think what ever is in development will all drop relatively close to each other.

I wonder if we're entering another soft reboot, where complexity on some figures is scaled down some, along with prices capping off for the most part, and increase in releases. If Raiden isn't a gift set,I don't see them not completing him in a year, so like Skids we would see multiple releases in a month. If they can do that, its certainly feasible to expect more consistency in releases. Think minibots and insecticons are perfect for that if they wanted to try for the multiple releases on rare occasions. I wouldn't be surprised if all 12? original minibots are on the table, if they can do Skids for 75 after discount, no way they can't deliver cheaper than MP45 minibots.

• Like Like x 4
  17. lord ginrai

lord ginrai D-list Decepticon

News Credits:
    Jeez, you guys. Ōno said they're working on Skyfire.

THEY'RE WORKING ON SKYFIRE!

• Like Like x 5
  18. SunSwipe5

Oh, you're not bothering me, and I very rarely put anyone on ignore. I was pointing out that opinions were stated, heard, and understood. It just seems a bit redundant to repeat the same thing over again. However, I digress. To each their own :cool: 
    Fact still remains that the designer mentioned that Skyfire and the choo choo combiner were being worked on. It was not conjecture or future plans. This was what others who speak/understand the Japanese language were trying to convey.
    Yes, there have been characters that were mentioned that the designers would like to eventually do. Heck, there were even those who inferred that prototypes had been created awhile back (Jazz being one of them).
    Nobody is saying designers have not stated what they hope to work on down the road. It's just with Skyfire, this is not the case. He isn't a future project, he is a current project.
    As for Raiden, I had never even heard of him until his announcement. In the grand scheme of combiners, I don't see him selling as well here as in Japan. A combiner like Devestator or Superion seem to be more popular here in the west. It's also hard to say how much his sales will play into the inevitable release of future MP combiner sets. I have zero doubt Raiden will sell out in Japan though.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    It’s funny because other than Skids, Raiden is probably my most anticipated of upcoming MPs. I’d never heard of him before a couple of months ago, and I don’t even like combiners (although I do like the individual team members).

20. HolyCulture

News Credits:
    I think my first time hearing about Raiden was when I went to japan in 2004 and bought an entire box of Heroes of Cybertron boxes. And I got this guy:
    058549C0-4AE5-4A0F-976A-58CB4B934A5C.jpeg

Ever since then he was a pretty interesting figure. Especially since going back and watching the rest of Japanese G1. I’m extra pumped for MP Raiden.

• Like Like x 4