The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 Fully vaccinated and ready to party!

I thought your sig used to have odds for who the next MP will be, but maybe I’m confusing you with someone else. Too much time in COVID isolation has made me more than a little scatterbrained.

2. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

A possible explanation could be that Japanese collectors might find much easier to collect 12 inches combiners instead of 18-20 inches ones.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It did, I just haven't had it up there for about a year now. And since sigs don't show up on mobile unless you go landscape, I don't often see mine at all, I forget what's down there.

True! :lol 

But you know, some more thought on this: I don't know anything about model train collectors, that's kind of fandom obscura for me, but I'd imagine their central focus is real-world details--and we know the Trainbots are going to be licensed by the train companies. That also suggests to me that they might have significant amounts of diecast. And obviously you don't want to build a Titan-class combiner out of 50%+ diecast parts.

So yeah, Hasbro has remained steadfastly disinterested in Raiden for close to forty years, he was in one regional cartoon that even Takara doesn't seem overly eager to homage to any great extent, he's the first Diaclone combiner but he's a footnote in Transformers lore, courting the model train audience and the Diaclone purists may seem a more prudent move to Takara here.

It might make things awkward when they turn their Masterpiece attentions to Devastator (fandom armageddon if he's too small), but for Raiden they may feel they can get away with it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 Fully vaccinated and ready to party!

Whew! Good to know I’m not completely crazy... yet.

5. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

I’ve seen some pretty hilarious meltdowns on this site for compelling reasons and really stupid reasons. If a potential MP Devastator was revealed to be too small, by even a little bit? I don’t think the internet could handle that sort of rage. Haha

• Like Like x 5
  6. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Skids probably should have been a bigger clue anything was possible as most people had him on the never going to happen list, and now the Skyfire news doubles down on that. Evidently what they have been planning since reboot 3.0 is a lot different than what some of us have expected. With what looks like the simplification of the last couple of releases and announcements I wonder if they're going to turn design down a notch to increase frequency of releases. Following the theory that until Raiden is released we could be looking at his designs. Still are a couple of G1 projects he worked on previously that havent been and are now most likely could be touched.
    • Dont know if we'll get another Ono diaclone announcement. The hybrid announcement for Skids makes sense, since he worked on the omnibots, who were never on the toon, and could get the Skids treatment.
    • Dinobots. We can probably expect a Grimlock, but an announcement of one of the other 4 doesn't seem as unlikely as before
    • Triplechangers. He actually designed the original Decepticon trio, but I'm still not giving Octane much of a chance.
    • Lastly Leaders. Ginrai,Galvatron, and Cerebros by way of Fortress Maximus, Metalhawk and Deathasaurus. Have no idea how they would pull Metalhawk off but a MP Pretender would be an interesting draw.
    • Not a leader but could MP Apeface happen? As a MP design that would be most interesting. I'm guessing m ou st if us think Scourge or Cyclonus and not apeface
    • 270px-Horrorcons_Daros.jpg 270px-Horrorcons_first_app.jpg

7. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

The big issue for me is that Raiden is the first MP combiner which means that figure should be setting the scale for MP combiners going forward. So if Raiden is really small I think we should assume that Devastator will be the same size. I’m still hoping for Titan combiner height at least but I’m losing faith. If MP combiners end up being 12” tall I may have to finally cave and start buying 3P combiners.

8. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Repeating this in light of recent news:

According to insider info from 2017, these G1 MPs (in no particular order) were in some stage of development back then (along with some that have been released and I did not list here):
    • Jazz
    • Mirage
    • Trailbreaker
    • Hoist
    • Insecticons
    • Reflector
    • Blaster
    • Skyfire
    • Brawn
    • Huffer
    • Blitzwing
    • Springer
    • Galvatron
    • Skids
    Keep on speculating, pals!

• Like Like x 11
  9. dljbae

dljbae Well-Known Member

I missed the later transformers shows of victory master force etc. is the height of raiden and devastator supposed to be the same bc they faced off against each other? Similar to omega supreme and dev? Or no correlation.

10. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Going thread-diving, I find that a Skyfire rumor started in late October 2016, and on November 7 our own late lamented TCracker said he could "cautiously vouch" for it. Crazy to think that they could be the same Skyfire, already in development over four years ago and just now reaching a stage where Takara feels comfortable confirming they're working on him.

• Like Like x 5
  11. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Wonder what shifted in getting Arcee,Skids,Jetfire,and Raiden on the meni. Is the line doing well enough in their eyes they can venture outside the lines they've sort of set. Springer is still left field,but it seems the stars are aligning on some of the others especially Blitzwing and Galvatron.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

I haven’t seen those shows either. I’m just going by artwork I’ve seen of the two of them plus the fact that they are both originally Diaclone combiners. For me personally I would like to see all of the combiners at a similar height. Maybe not exactly the same but pretty close.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Combiners are kind of tricky because the shows tended to just make them the same size as each other, but their component parts vary in size so much. Menasor and Defensor should probably be significantly smaller than Superion and Bruticus when you consider that their sum parts are one truck and civilian-scaled vehicles vs. five jets or a tank (or space shuttle) many times their size one-to-one.

That said, mass displacement covers a lot of sins. I’ve always felt that Devastator and Predaking should be the same size as Omega Supreme at the upper end of combiner size, and the others be two smaller bands beneath that.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just picked up a misb mp-36. Super excited, got it for a decent price. Looks authentic, has all the box hallmarks. Seller said it was from tfsource. My question is, was it normal for these to be double taped? Both tapes are doubled.

557C899E-3E42-43BF-ADA0-A970AF81333A.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Double taping is fairly common on TT MP products. It’s safe to assume it’s real.

• Like Like x 2
  16. SurlyJ

SurlyJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah i figured it was real. I was more wondering if it wasn’t new as advertised and had been resealed. But figure it might be common. Thanks!

17. HolyCulture

HolyCulture Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it’s safe to not ‘speculate’ about a new MP Megs lol

• Like Like x 2
  18. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd say we're more likely to get MP Cliffjumper before we get a new MP Megatron.

And we already got MP Cliffjumper.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

I just notices MP Skids deco is very toon?

Do you think he gets a + toy deco? I think I would prefer that along with the toy headsculpt instead?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mung daal

Mung daal Dancing is forbidden

Soundwave v2 when?

• Like Like x 1