The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Chris C137

Chris C137 Costs less than an empty Fanstoys box.

News Credits:
    Yeah I have almost no interest at all in what TT are doing with Skids. Feels like a backwards step in articulation, and the aesthetics don't fit at all with where the line has been going the past seven years. Cool for those that still pine for the random aesthetic though.

The Seekers more than make up for it, hopefully Skywarp teleports in before the end of the year.

• Like Like x 9
  2. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As someone who wants to see a + release of Sunstreaker with the extra detailing and who hasn't replaced his Hasui-era MPs I think Skids will fit right in.

If your jam is the newer MPs then it'll at least fit in as well as the Datsuns do (even with the + repaints) with all their arm, leg and torso detailing... Though we need to see how detailed they go with the final colours first to make that judgement I guess.

I'm more concerned the new seekers look like the odd ones out in my personal MP collection.

• Like Like x 1
  3. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    TOON NOT GREEBLE

• Like Like x 2
  4. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Ahhhh Skids.....

Instapass. I have no attachment to the character, hell, had I not been on this forum I wouldn't have even known he was in the toon. That and I don't care for his looks in robot mode and alt-mode. And with the prices TT is charging these days it makes it even easier to pass.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess I'm just not an aestheticist (did I just make up a word?), because I think he looks great. And I think it's super cool that these images were posted by Honda's Twitter, it's awesome to see the car company doing its own promoting here!

• Like Like x 7
  6. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    Honda tweeting it out is pretty cool. Helps if you dont think of this not as MP skids, but like a crossover like BTF and Ghostbusters. This is simply a Honda turbo that transforms into a robot.
    I dont even think its aesthetic that will be the nail in the coffin for some people, but the backward step on articulation and lack of options we get like face swaps. That I actually find pretty disappointing

• Like Like x 2
  7. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

I’m actually really jazzed about Skids. Partly, it’s that I have a fondness for weird, lost, characters like him, but also, I really loved that Inferno-V2 Megatron-Sunstreaker run. Perfect balance of form, style, and complexity in that stretch of the line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

What’s the release date onStarscream? I thought it was June, but maybe it’s March? I haven’t looked since I preordered it with HLJ so long ago.

9. MSWF377

MSWF377 Michael Scarn

It’s June

• Like Like x 2
  10. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks. I realized after I posted that I could have easily looked it up myself. Haha

Skids looks decent to me, and his price will determine whether or not I pick him up. I think he could look really good with a season two shelf of Autobots. Can’t wait to see painted or digibashed images!

11. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

There’s been a few. C9668E88-0619-4F6F-8710-3A04B12AC5DB.png 8E6ED8F7-362D-4C0E-9854-38E8831A4AE9.jpeg
    A85C3D3A-B37A-4B53-A2A8-561456358824.jpeg

I’m going to buy this but I’m not thrilled about it. I might have him standing behind the season 2 MPs. From an engineering and design perspective, to achieve the toon aesthetic required more effort. Hiding big chunks inside smoothed rectangular prisms takes a lot of work. Skids does feel like a step backwards but I still rather have him than not. In my head canon, he was made years ago but got lost in the Takara broom closet.

• Like Like x 6
  12. 80sforged

80sforged Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm kinda happy they went with the Hatsui approach (S2 being better represented in that style). My plan was to display my MP's based on the styling. 'Full Toon' is going to start with MP-36 (inferno and Grapple will keep the more detailed chests and stick with the MP-9/!0 era stuff (though Ironhide and Ratchet might be problems, blue windows being the sticking point). While some are calling it a step back in articulation, I would not mind more of a return to that era's price-point for carbots.

13. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

That alt mode is slick, but the bot mode looks plastic-y, like a $20 Hasbro CHUG figure. As cool as the alt mode is, that's not enough to make me shell out three bills for a character that 1) I have zero connection with and 2) that was featured on the show, what? Twice, if that?

[​IMG]

If I could get it for cheap somehow, I'd take the plunge just for that alt mode, but for the price of a Sunstreaker, it's an E-Z pass and a "no for me, dawg."

[​IMG]

14. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm really not seeing the CHUG in this at all... And I collected then sold some of those bots. CHUG, Alternators, whatever you want to call this that isn't an MP, I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. This might be a return to simpler times but all I see is a Masterpiece. Brilliant proportions, perfect alt mode, no excessive kibble, undeniably Skids.

Now where's the pre-order?

• Like Like x 3
  15. unpunk

unpunk Well-Known Member

When you say “shell out three bills” are you suggesting this toy will be $300? That’s not ever gonna happen with a character like Skids. A bill usually means a $100 bill.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Well, I for one am looking forward to Skids. I do fear some of the very welcome detailing will be less visible when it's no longer a prototype (same as with Starscream), but this will be first G1 MP I will add to my collection since......uh.....Ironhide/Ratchet??

And I hope Trailbreaker is next and done the same. And preferably with his much nicer toy head included.

Only negative I can say about Skids is that he likely won't include Charlene. And Skids really has to come with Charlene.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

So until Skids goes up for preorder, I only have 2 MPs upcoming. With them being so dang expensive, I'm good with that. Although, with Starscream and Thundercracker being 2 months apart, I'm kind of expecting Skywarp to be announced for October. Of course, he could also end up being a 2022 release.

I would not be surprised if we get a few repaints and reissues though.

• Like Like x 3
  18. 4249david

4249david Autobot's chief customs agent, apparently...

Ebay:
    • Like Like x 8
  19. QuintusTheExaltedOne

QuintusTheExaltedOne Creator of the Quintessons and ex-Prime

News Credits:
    Hasui was the only MP aesthetic I've ever felt a connection to, so Skids was honestly a breath of fresh air for me. I'm fine with basic datsun engineering and articulation if it means it won't fall apart because there's a thousand unnecessary panels to make it look like a poorly drawn frame of an old cartoon. Granted I love G1 but, no. Call me batshit crazy but what I really want is Crosscut.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Toddimus

Toddimus Well-Known Member

I guess he had a lot of time on his hands during the pandemic.

• Like Like x 1