The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree now it would be less of a problem but at the parts lot count of earlier MPs,I don't see how that gets done without looking goofy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Not impossible. During the Alternator/Binaltech days a designer commented that some car companies objected to lines on the model that weren't on the real thing. But usually after the designer explained that it was needed for transformation most would accept it. But it does make clear that a car company can and will make demands on how their car is recreated.

In the MP line we've also seen this with Lamborghini and Sunstreaker. Lamborghini objected to it being a non-existing variant of their car while TT wanted it to be like this to be cartoon and toy accurate. But TT solved this by making the default mode the existing car while a small subtransformation resulted in the cartoon accurate altmode.

(But where to store an intact Porsche spoiler in Jazz his robot mode)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Chris C137

Chris C137 Have some self respect. Take the QC sticker off.

News Credits:
    These have probably been discussed many times but I was having some quality time with Arcee (you, stop sniggering at the back :p ) and got to thinking about repaints. A Paradron medic seems like a matter of time (Please don't make me do it myself Takara) but I'm still not convinced about a Nightbird repaint/remold. Also, it would probably be unlikely, but could we see a possible Rebirth Arcee with degraded Akom colours like we had with Hot Rod? I'd imagine the Daniel/Headmaster would be near on impossible but I'd even just take an Akom colour Arcee minus most of the normal accessories with the MP21 exosuit figure as Daniel.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

Can’t say I see that happening. We got Akom Hot Rod simply because there was so little else to do with that mould in terms of repaints. It was the biggest “this’ll do” in the line’s history. But Arcee does have these options (Lifeline seems pretty nailed on but I wouldn’t rule Nightbird out given the precedent from CHUG - I own that and it is a really, really good repaint) so I don’t see them being desperate enough to do Akom Anime Arcee.

5. Onilink

Onilink That's my secret, captain, my head always hurts

News Credits:
    So i had this idea: talking about the scramble city combiner, to have a toon accurate and scaled robot, you need an exosuit where to clip all the components.
    What about a double combiner: a toy mode (like the combiner wars one, with the components combining directly), and a toon mode, with a skeleton sold separately (like all the third parties ones) where to clip the same components?

6. Chris C137

Chris C137 Have some self respect. Take the QC sticker off.

News Credits:
    There are a couple of options for repainting Hot Rod that Takara never utilised, particularly the toy deco (which I think is what people assumed MP40 with the Targetmaster would be before we saw pics) and black Hot Rod. I'd have bought both as well :p 

Then there's whether they could've done a + release with slightly altered colours, toon insignia, alternate faces, blast effects etc but it feels like that won't happen either.

I've never really understood why Takara are so slack with repaints for the MP line actually. They've done a fair few, but I can think of many options for most MP releases that they'd never leave on the table for mainline equivalents. Sure there's the higher cost and smaller market but most repaints would still sell in small enough runs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jackisking

News Credits:
    Because the overall "cost" for buyers had stayed relatively the same, even with the more expensive molds. We used to get a ton of repaints when MPs were much cheaper, now that there more expensive,that repaint we used to get is gone now. So we end up with less releases but you're still pretty much spending the same amount for the year if you buy everything. Doesn't apply if you only buy certain releases,but chances are if you are picky like that, you arent buying repaints anyway.

8. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No pics from January Figure King yet?

9. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

From what I've read, the magazine is sold out and there has not been any scans to be found anywhere.
    Weird.

10. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Currently absolutely 0 expectations at the moment regarding a new G1 Masterpiece. We're probably due a BW reveal now, and if they show anything else G1 related it's high time that it's something related to Raiden, poor bastard(s).

Would love to be pleasantly surprised, but I think there won't be a big G1 reveal until around Tokyo Toy Show (assuming that might go ahead online in some form).

• Like Like x 6
  11. jackisking

News Credits:
    Hoping theyll have an actual exhibit set up versus someone talking on the phone showing slides like last time, that was a total waste last year. I would hope to see Skids painted up and a gray BW prototype along with SS and TC.

Who knows maybe well get lucky, I cant help but feel Arcee wasn't meant to be the only new release last year, and whatever that release was, is probably pushed to this year, almost giving us a Hound situation, where a new reveal just pops up, especially if there's an a tual display.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    I'm good with Starscream, Thundercracker and Skids being the only G1 releases coming out this year. Already might be skipping Arcee to prioritise the former two. But if we get an end-of-year Galvatron or some other big guy that could be nice too.

• Like Like x 3
  13. jackisking

News Credits:
    Think we have at least one more shot of Diaclone goodness, possibly a new Magnus or Grimlock wouldnt surprise. Also wouldnt be surprised if some of the SS86 guys are actually ready and done at the MP level. Just having Hot Rod and Cyclonus, those two just need the MP tweaking.

• Like Like x 1
  14. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I always get antsy-pantsy once we're past the release of the last MP of a specific genre/sublime where nothing else has been announced. So far it's been unfounded worry but maaan we had better get a BW annoucement asap.

I think we've been here before after MP Dinobot came out.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Loopaza Mega Store Figure King Scan FB_IMG_1612189445311.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  16. Temp1

Temp1 Well-Known Member

Really excited for Starscream, and Thundecracker looks good too. Literally could not be less interested in Skids ...not only cus of character but that mould looks really old and out of step with the current line. Super disappointing IMO.

Please TT ...give us a Rodimus Prime or Ultra Magnus!

• Like Like x 3
  17. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

Skids is kind of a unique character though, which is probably why they’re trying a more blended look with him. His appearances have been so sporadic and scarce up to the MTMTME comic, there isn’t really an accepted look.

They could go toon model on him, of course, but honestly, nobody would recognize it in a serious way anyways. Why not try some interesting stuff with him? There’s very little to lose.

• Like Like x 3
  18. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    The only way TT could/will get me to buy a Carbot like Skids at their current prices is if it DOES look like the line art. I don't want a detailess gumby.

Sunstreaker is as far down that road as I can cope with, and that's with Spinout's head replacing banana-face.

As long as it has Sunstreaker/Hound. articulation and a Diaclone-respectful face I'm in.

19. Prime135

Prime135 Friend of Arcee

News Credits:
    Tumblr:
    Feels very binaltech doesn’t it? Not a fan.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3