The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. crazyman

crazyman Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Oh boi oh boi oh boi

• Like Like x 5
  2. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land"

News Credits:
    I’d break my no-Tf rule for those two. Hands down. Jazz was the first G1 figure I ever bought (TRU commemorative series), and he and cliffjumper have become such a duo over the years.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

As far as I know the live action SS licensed cars are very accurate. I have the DOTM Mercedes Soundwave and it even has the little parking sensors molded into the bumpers. But the live action movies used the actual cars. For the '86 movie and the show Jazz is drawn a little different. I think that SS release looks very much like the toon version and it may still be licensed like MP chibi Bumblee V2. And for sure, if that Jazz is not licensed I'm not sure how they will get away with it because it's very close to the Porsche design.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    You have a no-Tf rule and yet you're on TFW2005? I love it :D 

• Like Like x 11
  5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Prime135

News Credits:
    Just til after college, then its open season :p  unfortunately, with grad school included that is another four-ish years down the line...

• Like Like x 10
  7. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Good lad!

• Like Like x 6
  8. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

My 2cts in regard to this ER Jazz.

Although I definitely see elements that have a great similarity with the real Porsche, I can also see clear differences. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a case seen in the mainline many times before: accurate elements of a certain car mixed with fantasy elements to avoid licensing. It will be very interesting to see pictures of the back of the box to find out if there's license information or not. Such a pity that this isn't a convention where someone no doubt would ask if it were licensed (and in which case, either way, we would have information that we want for MP speculation).

I think or suspect, that if Has/TT had the license to remake this model Porsche, it would've been absolute accurate. They would know it would have a greater draw than making it more animation accurate. Plus, the Netflix Earthrise Bumblebee is licensed and a very accurate representation of the VW Beetle, a very stark difference to this Jazz.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Prime135

News Credits:
    I would tend to agree, BUT, this isn’t earthrise, it’s an offshoot of studio series, so they very well may have gone for the “close enough” toon accurate alt mode on purpose. After all, the stated goal of studio series is basically the same as masterpiece (Albeit at a much smaller budget), sans the real-world alt modes. Either way, you’d be hard pressed to not recognize what car it’s supposed to be, especially with the light blue livery, which actually isn’t cartoon accurate.

As you say though, time will tell.

Edit: The more I look at Jazz, the more I’m convinced it has to be licensed. Aside from the hood, which may have been altered for bot mode accuracy, and spoiler, which may have been altered for bot mode stability, it absolutely nails the shape of the original vehicle, right down to the odd curvature/slope that the lower door frame has (the forearms peeking out below alt mode make it look off, but it’s definitely there)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well time to quit MP and buy mainline since they have Jazz. Have fun with your V2, V3, V4s.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  11. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Okay, @Shin Densetsu, your clues are the best. Your kung-fu is the best.

I have one more question for the time being regarding the Mystery MP.

When this Mystery MP is revealed, will you tell us it was the one you've been hinting at… or will it be obvious to us?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Prime135

News Credits:
    Mystery who now?????

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Agreed. Even the vent or whatever that oblong shape is in front of the rear tyres is present.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then, Earthrise Wheeljack wasn't licensed

[​IMG]

But I don't think his alt-mode is as close to the Lancia Stratos as this Jazz is to the Porsche.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    No and it will be open to interpretation but I won’t mislead you.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Definitely. Though I do have to point out you're contradicting yourself:
    - altmode intentionally not real life accurate but toon accurate, because toon accuracy is more important
    - colours are too bright for both real life and animation, thus toon accuracy is not important enough to get the shade of blue right.
    You can't have it both ways :D 

• Like Like x 1
  16. GearsRollo

GearsRollo Well-Known Member

To be totally fair, I think that toon-to-real life accuracy range depends mostly on which mode the piece is in, and will definitely be a little hard to pull off in terms of balance in less expensive figures.

The line is now about licensed car modes and toon accuracy in bot mode at the same time, which is kind of insane, but also pretty cool.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty guarded about this. In all honesty - and I’d love to be wrong - I think this is perfectly skilfully crafted to get as close as possible to the original without needing the licence (or indeed the lawyers). I agree that if there is a Porsche logo on the back of the box then we are set for an MP Jazz, but that works both ways - if there isn’t, if this is unlicensed, then I think it kills off an MP Jazz for good.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jackisking

jackisking Yeah, the MP line is soooo dead

News Credits:
    TDIL, never compare a generations figure altmode to the real-life version.:D 

It's going to be a long wait till the next release anyway, which kind of sucks about Starscream being 8 months away. It would be kind of cool to start getting little updates on Raiden. While Im hoping December for a BW reveal, it probably won't be till February we see anything, well need something to break up the wall of nothing.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm misinterpreting here but it sounds like you are saying you will not confirm whether or not a revealed MP is your Mystery MP? Then what is the point of all the guessing and how is that different than previous leakers and everyone trashing them with "he tell me" comments? As I said earlier, I don't see the point of people wasting their time guessing if there will never be an answer to the riddle. But whatever floats your boat I guess.

With respect to MP Jazz, I still think Takara will eventually do one even if they can't get the license. If the SS86 one is not licensed that tells me they should be able to get away with an MP version that is "close enough" and I'll be happy with that. I don't require my MP figures to be licensed.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 4249david

4249david Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What I find interesting is that the stock images for, say, SS86 Grimlock, shows the back of the box. Nowt for Jazz in that regard... we won't know until he's released or someone leaks it

• Like Like x 4