The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. BrutiKing

BrutiKing Solidworks noob.

News Credits:
    This one is kinda out there and I’m doubting it myself, but what if “shares 1 aspect of an MP with a 2 digit number" refers to all MPs with 2 digit numbers? Articulation? I dunno. Probably not.

2. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

No kidding. Between car parts, travel, and this hobby, my wallet frequently cries tears of blood...good thing I've gotten much better at saving so that I can handle it when these kind of purchases come up. Preparing myself to spend at least $250 on Starscream here...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Arie

Arie One Man Army

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    "An MP", so not all. And MP-10 and later all have two digit numbers. ;)  That one aspect might a hook like Grapple has, but not visually the same as Jazz as he's a Porsche and has it attached to his arm.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Matt Random

Matt Random Well-Known Member

Yup, the v2s will not be the end all be all. There will be v3 and beyond for the top tier characters as long as people keep buying. Same with Star Wars, Turtles, Marvel, DC, G.I. Joe, He-Man, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BrutiKing

News Credits:
    I personally find that unlikely... not impossible, but unlikely. MPs are “definitive” and they will probably branch out to different series or the line will eventually die from doing the same thing over and over again. I feel like this applies more to official CHUG - every new line has almost always has a prime

• Like Like x 3
  6. Grimmjow

Grimmjow Blastcage

If anything, these will be the definitive versions for a very, very long time. I'd say it's more likely we see other lines and versions of the popular characters as this decade progresses. HasTak undoubtedly is paying attention to how well the Beast Wars and Movie Masterpieces are both doing...so how much longer is it really gonna be before we see Transformers Prime or Animated Masterpiece figures? They'd do the same thing with those lines and start with the main 4: Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream. My dream is to one day get Hearts of Steel Masterpiece figures, even if it's only of Optimus Prime and Megatron, although I know how unlikely even that is. As for these G1 V2s and V3s? They can milk the ever-living HELL out of these molds, and don't think for even a moment that they won't. It's only a matter of time before we get a Shattered Glass version of MP44(would admittedly also love to see a Ghostbusters version), and I'd dare say that we may get more Shattered Glass decos this time around, out of other characters. (Quick, someone do a digibash of this V2 Starscream in Shattered Glass colors for me.) If we're lucky, we'll get a Ghost Starscream out of this V2...I never got the original Ghost Starscream due to waiting for an MP11 version, so really hoping they make it for this one. All I know is that, based off of what we know of this upcoming V2 so far, I think it may have quite a fair bit of potential, and will undoubtedly be a definitive figure for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Memph99Q4Ev

Memph99Q4Ev Well-Known Member

I dunno man, people will pay that money; it happens every time. Begrudgingly, but they will. And I'm sure people will do the whole "paint chipping here" and "wish it had a ratchet there" and "for x-dollars they should do this or that", but it'll still be on their shelves. Ppl complain about pricing all the time, buuut... they buy it anyways. No, we buy it anyways.

Starscream always sells, been like that since '84. And they know that. Even when they aren't selling SScream, it was selling for more than they sold it originally (at least until ppl got fed up with the same model in circulation since the start and the flood of "cheaper" KO). Shit, even some of the KOs started going for more than original cost even as ppl bashed the damn thing. On top of all that, 3rd party Meteor is almost double aftermarket; Takara knows their getting that MP investment back.

Now, true, Takara may not be the one to push the other seekers out right away; Hasbro, on the other hand, will repaint the hell out of anything in a heartbeat. Those f***ers will repaint the repaint. And, they KNOW for a FACT the seekers sell; it's no coincidence they haven't hesitated to get them out with Seige.

Concerning other obscure MP, it may be that they don't have the confidence in characters like Reflector or Gears, etc. Again though, I think Seige is allowing them to get a better gauge on how hungry collectors are for fhe oddballs they wouldn't normally consider. Best example, Arcee bursted out with multiple iterations in the past few years and is now getting an MP.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Toddimus

Toddimus Well-Known Member

Any idea on when a new reveal will be? It's hard to know other than the Figure King releases without the toy shows going on as scheduled.

9. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

If this theory is true ( and i hope that, siege and earthrise are two successful lines) then Jetfire is totally on the table.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hasbro's not driving the MP line though, Takara still is. Hasbro's just importing some Takara releases to sell via Pulse. There is no indication at all they're nudging Takara in certain directions, or unilaterally call for their own redecos of Takara MPs. Also, for as much money as Seeker molds may make Takara/Hasbro, 1. Again, making money from a bunch of units from a toy sold at $30 at US retail is different than Takara trying to do it with something costing $200+, and 2. You're doing a lot of assuming that Seekers consistently sell when all but two of the Siege Seekers were retail releases while the rest were exclusives of some kind, and so far only one of five announced Earthrise Seekers are planned retail releases, with the other four announced exclusive two-packs. Hasbro certainly makes Seekers, yes, but you're assuming a lot there that their history doesn't bear out for a line they don't control. As for Takara's part, if they knew for a fact this shit would sell well at retail, we wouldn't have gotten Skywarp, Thundercracker, Dirge, Ramjet, Thrust, Acid Storm, and Sunstorm as exclusive redecos of MP-11 that Hasbro Asia had to nudge them for in the first place; at least some would've been retail releases instead. We did get Skywarp and Thundercracker as retail MPs in Japan before, but that was all the way back with MP-6&7, almost 12 years ago, back when more than one MP releases a year was actually notable. That's a lot of fucking Seekers over the past decade, yes, but also a lot that aren't offered at general retail in either Japan and the US. Meanwhile, fucking Black Convoy has been a retail release in the MP line twice now, both post-line reboot. Starscream sells, yes. His brethren, often as exclusives, to a degree.

As for lesser characters, yeah sure, the Generations lines could be a form of market research, seeing just what will interest collectors beyond the usual roster. Takara paying attention to what Japanese and Asian fans are buying on that side of the Pacific, noting what's generating hype and fan interest, makes sense. It could also be that Generations is where Hasbro and Takara will take risks with character selection, because it's nowhere near the same blow to see a $20ish Deluxe toy not sell well as much as it'd be a $100ish (or higher) MP version.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Onilink

Onilink Well-Known Member

The problem is, you can't know if thundercracker sells at 200 if you don't make a thundercracker at 200$ in first time. The only market indicator that you can use is the popularity of character in retail lines. You know that Bumblebee sells, Optimus sells, Soundwave, Megatron, Starscream sells.
    Then, as hypotesis, you put on market an Arcee, and she sells like hot cakes. You put on the market Grimlock, the same. So you have a clear indicator that the demand for that character is high, your only problem is to know how much people are happy to spend on that character.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  12. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    BLASTER...

13. Memph99Q4Ev

I kid you not, Jetfire is on my damn radar right now. That's another one that keeps getting updates. The price was fine at release, but there's no way I'm paying $400.00+ for Phoenix. Lovely bot, but it's not Jetfire; it may be different if it were. I don't think I'll be able to sell it for that much if/when a real Jetfire pops up (if I did think I could resale it for that much, different story).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Memph99Q4Ev

Mark my words, Hasbro already got the paint buckets waiting on SScream to hit shores. They're about to repaint those damn jets as soon as humanly possible. Again, I agree, Tak is a bit slow in comparison. Hasbro, though? They're gonna find a way to get max dollar from this mold, as they've done from day one. The seekers (or at least the 1st 3) are pretty much guaranteed money in the US; they've always been. Hasbro knows this, hell, we ALL know this. Again, ppl will gripe about pricing... they'll get it anyways.

15. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

If MP's are definitive, as you said, then why do we have three versions of G1 Optimus Prime, two versions of Bumblebee, two version of Megatron, and either two or three versions of Starscream in this line?

The reason is that they're not definitive. In a few years time the focus can shift, or technology will have improved or something. And by the new standards the already released MP's are outdated (e.g. Sideswipe is now considered outdated so how this MP be definitive?).

This has happened before, and it will happen again. In a few years time, TT will find a reason to release a newer version of Optimus or Bumblebeel or even Starscream that's even more definitive according to the guide lines at that moment.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    The MP line has been heading into a toon-accurate direction for quite a while, and that's been pretty much solidified since around MP-27. So MP-36, MP-44, MP-52 (or whatever number Starscream gets) are the definitive versions of the characters insofar as being cartoon accurate, heavily articulated, and loaded with accessories.

If there is some shift in the MP line to a different direction, then they could make different versions of the characters. But that seems extremely unlikely at this point. The recreation of the original television source material approach has been further cemented in the Beast Wars line, again recreating the look of the show to a tee. How many good years does the G1 part of the MP line really have left? 5? 10?

Sooner or later they'll start branching out into lines beyond Beast Wars. I imagine that Armada Optimus Prime design was temporarily shelved because they're probably gonna release an MP version instead in a couple of years.

The only guys I could potentially see getting another MP version are Optimus Prime and Megatron, made to scale with the Beast Wars line (so, pretty giant, with a different enough aesthetic from MP-44 and MP-36).

• Like Like x 10
  17. BrutiKing

News Credits:
    I would have to agree with @Sam. Redoing characters does happen at times where the MP line has a massive design shift resulting in the old MPs looking out of place. This is when a new version would come out. The thing is, it appears that the direction of the MP line is here to stay.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

@Sam thanks for agreeing with me -- even though it's obvious that's not what you intended :D 

And that's exactly the issue. That's the current focus: hyper articulation, cartoon accuracy (the way I see it, articulation comes first) and with many accessoires. But what if the focus changes in the next two or three years? It's not unthinkable, because the focus of the line has shifted several times now. And it can be from something outside of TF's, or simply a stronger focus on the Diaclone aspect and thus more interiors, or a new lead designer.

For example, Optimus Prime. There are now three versions and each one is a perfect example of the design focus of the moment: MP-1 was made when the MP line was just one offs with a different design focus for almost every release (and different designers), MP-10 was made because Hasui's opiniion that a true MP is not an accurate representation of the animation model, but a blend of influences, and the current one fits the focus on hyper articulation, cartoon accuracy and many accessoires. How can any be the definitive version if they are all Masterpiece figures?

For those who like the current focus, the current MP OP is the best. For those who prefer the Hasui approach, MP-10 (or Magic Square) is preferred, for those who want big imposing figures, MP-1 is the best choice. That makes none of them definitive, except within the focus of the time they were made.

Say for example that in a few years time a new lead designer is aware of G1 OP, but loves the game Devastation or the current wfc lines. Earthrise OP is very clearly a G1 Optimus. It's not impossible that the MP Optimus Prime then made is a G1 OP with elements of Earthrise or Devastation. Which is then the Definitive version of all those Masterpiece Optimus Primes?

And since the comment I replied to stated that Masterpiece figures are definitive versions, it also raises the point of all those made before the current focus. They are also Masterpiece figures and thus be definitive versions. And yet fans of the current focus want to see them remade to fit the current designs...so how can they be defintive?

Nothing is definitive, not as long as the line continues. And if there are more version of a character than one, then which one is definitive?

• Like Like x 3
  19. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

So I was looking at my Fans Toys Dinobots and Skyfire over the weekend and they are MASSIVE! They take up a huge amount of shelf space. Especially in dino/jet modes. They take up more space than all the Takara Autobot MPs combined (in alt mode anyway)! FT Sludge in dino mode is just huge. For reference Prime V3's trailer is around 12 inches long (~300mm) and FT Sludge is 16 inches long (~400mm) and also much wider.

So I can't help but wonder if one of the reasons Takara is not doing the Dinobots is because all 5 are huge as well as expensive. I'm wondering if Takara will fudge the scale chart and make them a little smaller. Actually in the toon the Dinobots are more slim in bot mode than the FT versions so if TT follows the toon models they will most likely be thinner for sure. Anyway I find myself hoping that potential TT Dinobots are smaller than the third party versions. Not too much smaller though.

20. 4249david

4249david Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    While slavishly cartoon accurate dinobots are a bit of a wet dream of mine, I genuinely think TT will steer clear of the full set of five. It's Grimlock, the full set, or nothing; so all I see is MP08 getting a redo... I can still dream, of course! Hell, if FT tooned up the dibots I'd be happy, but even that seems a pipe dream.

• Like Like x 3