The G1-Focused Masterpiece Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Nah, TT and Hasbro never worked pretty close on the MP line. Only for some releases, like MP-01. There are also reports that Hasbro had some influence on MP-03 and suggested that Grimlock be a MP (08). Guess who was released between that? Right, a gun based MP Megatron. From MP-10 onward Masterpiece has been TT product, with Hasbro releasing what they felt they could sell. (Considering the Datsuns were sold years later by Hasbro and Sideswipe/Red Alert and Wheeljack are still absent, it's very unlikely Hasbro had any influence on the TT decisions.

Simply put, TT released Megatron as gun on their own as MP-05, and again as MP-36. Hasbro's problems to release it had no influence at all on their decidion to make or not make it (and they made). If they wanted to release a MP Megatron to counter MP-10, they would've done so. No American gun laws would've prevented this, since they produce for the Japan market. But they didn't. Either because they wanted to spread it out or wanted to build a fan base for the line or because it was felt to be a too difficult design to pull off.

I completely agree. However, I'm against releasing it as a regular and a + release. I think they should just release one as A (for animation) and the other as T (toy) and release them at the exact same time through the same channels.

That way there's no confusion about what + stands for, and those who want toy based designs don't have to wait for their version and pay more.

• Like Like x 3
  2. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

I guess since I asked the question, I should give my thoughts on the subject.

Blurr- I think he's plausible as an MP. He's had appearances in more recent series, as well as the movie.

Chromia/Elita One- Since Arcee's marketing is as saturated as Bumblebee's, I think it's pretty much a given she'll receive the MP treatment. Being that Takara seems to love repainting Chromia and Elita from that mold, I think one or both stand a slim chance. Besides, we got Road Rage, who is an even more obscure character.

Cosmos- He would definitely make for a different mold. Plus, he'd flow nicely with the long rumored Blaster. I think there's a sliver of a chance for him.

Swoop- While I think Grimlock stands the best chance for getting another MP treatment, I really hope Takara realises that the other Dinobots can also stand on their own as MPs. I know it's sacrilige but Grimmy is not the end all be all of the Dinobots. That being said, I think the chances of an MP Swoop are poor.

Aerialbots- No doubt that Takara can produce MP Aerialbots whenever they feel like it. After all, we have a plethera of Seekers. It's up to how TT would choose to do them. If they do them as a Combiner, we may never see them materialize. If they choose to do them as individual characters, then they stand a chance.

Stunticons- Same as the Aerialbots above. I'm not convinced licensing is as big an issue as some make it out to be. If they think there's bank to be made on these, they'll find a way. Still, I don't see these guys happening anytime soon.

Windcharger- I think we'll see Charger sometime after we see CJ.

Triple Changers- Given Raiden's MP treatment, I think this increases the chances for the Triples. I can see them doing an MP Astrotrain, followed by Springer and rounded out by Blitzwing.

While I'm not a big fan of choo-choos, and have no plans on buying Raiden myself, I do hope he's successful. If he is, that opens the door to more Combiners and more character.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Emperor Bruticus IV

Emperor Bruticus IV Destron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    @SunSwipe5 I agree with most of what you've said above but Chromia and Elita One ain't ever happening. We all know by now they are your wish list characters and that's all they will likely remain.

They both share nothing in common with Arcee's character model aside from one being the same colour and both the "same gender?" Road Rage was also arguably the worst-selling MP of all time, so that's not a good precedent especially as RR had the added extra of actually being a Diaclone.
    The line moves too slow to waste time on them, I feel most peoples interest would be zero as they didn't even exist as G1 toys, there are too many important characters left who made a bigger impact.
    Arcee will be repainted as the Paradron medic, an excellent display choice for Cyclonus if we even get him.

• Like Like x 3
  4. SunSwipe5

I wouldn't mind a Paradron Medic.
    You're right about them being on my wishlist. I guess I was just going by what they've done with the 3 Femmes in other lines.

To be honest, they're not really even 'must haves' for me, as TT MPs. I can live with 3P versions.

My MP grail trinity still has yet to be fulfilled.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Xaxis

Xaxis Multi-dimensional Traveler

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Elita-1 is MP-50. ;) 

• Like Like x 3
  6. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

My personal feeling based on the pattern of recent years of roughly three new G1 moulds (and the new V3 obsession) is they'll plump this year for:

Cliffjumper
    Mirage

Starscream V3. and/or Galvatron.

2021 will finish the core carbots and introduce a new group of 'cons to the line - either a constructicon/combiner, Triple changer, or insecticon, of which the most likely candidates are listed below:

Trailbreaker
    Jazz

Hook, Blitzwing, or Shrapnel.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  7. 4249david

4249david Click my avatar, you won't regret it...

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If they do Galvatron and it's coming out around the time Unicron does, then Rodimus Prime v2 is more likely than them finishing the Ark crew.

You reckon they will do combiners as individuals over 5 or 6 figures? Not sure about that. I'd expect a box set of all of them. If nothing else but to have consistent QC - good or bad. It'd be more affordable to buy for sure, but I don't see it. Raiden will be the litmus test for how they'll do combiners.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SunSwipe5

What scares me about box set MP Combiners is the probable price point.
    We're already paying an average of 120 dollars for a single figure. A box set would be 600 dollars at the very least. I can only speak for myself when I say, No Way In Hell am I paying that much all at once. I'll take individual releases, thank you very much. :eek: 

• Like Like x 2
  9. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    About the only people a box set is hurting is people who don't have access to amazon jp or store that has a method of paying in installments

• Like Like x 1
  10. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

While that makes sense for buyers, no way does it make sense for a business like TT. Putting both out at the same time effectively forces prospective buyers to make a choice. Whereas putting out one and then putting out a different version a few months later means your buyers will inevitably be tempted back a second time. That’s the whole point of the + line really - to get people to double dip like that.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

I reckon they'll either do them individually as FT are currently doing to tackle the combiners or in my preferred format: three box sets of two over a year or so.

I personally don't see them releasing a box set of all six in one hit, no. For a start, it'd still be insanely expensive, even if (marginally?) less than six separate releases, so I don't particularly want that anyway.

Devastator, however, is almost guaranteed sometime in the next two years. How can they not take that natural next step to flesh out the under-served Decepticon ranks with anything else but combiners when without them, they're missing the one thing in MP format the Autobots have in spades ... LAND VEHICLES.

Okay, like I said, they could go for Insecticons or TC's, granted. And Seeker v3's are inevitable, but won't cut it in the variety stakes and surely they must know that. Only green and purple diggers fulfill the itch! :D :rolleyes: 

12. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your Chromia/Elita point doesn't make sense. MP isn't Classics, so how things are traditionally done in other lines is irrelevant here. That's like the people wondering if we'd get Cliffjumper from Bumblebee or Sunstreaker from Sideswipe because that's how other lines handled things. Additionally, Road Rage happened at all because of Diaclone; Takara went the extra mile to retool her for a more feminine body, but Road Rage was done because of the Diaclone connection. She's no different than Exhaust or Tigertrack or Delta Magnus.

As for the Aerialbots and Stunticons and doing them as non-combiners, I can't see that as plausible at all, especially with Raiden in the pipeline now. Either they combine or they don't happen. There may be a handful of us that just REALLY want a Skydive or Long Haul or some other combiner member and don't care if it combines with anything, but the average fan gives fuck all about a combiner member that can't combine in a line that shows it's able to do combiners after all.

As for licensing, while I'm not as optimistic as you, I'm slightly more hopeful than some. That doesn't mean it's as simple as "If Takara can make money off of this, they'll find a way."

Yup, exactly. It'd be nice, but Takara's not going to do the fanbase a favor.

• Like Like x 5
  13. SunSwipe5

It's what, 3 more weeks until Wonderfest?

I sure hope there's a new G1 character MP reveal to break up the 3 MP Primes that will surely be on display: Lio Convoy, Burning Primal, Black Convoy.
    No Takara, the MP39 Reissue does not count :rolleyes: 

Opinion respected, even if it was a bit rude. :cool: 

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2020
  14. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There will be a new G1 reveal, it'll be Rodimus Convoy so they can have four MP Primes on display :D 

• Like Like x 4
  15. SunSwipe5

:lolol 
    Gives new meaning to Prime Time :p 

• Like Like x 1
  16. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

Every show that comes along, I live in hope they reprise the Hotrod/Shockwave double whammy of five years ago.

Plus releases and repaints aside, it's so cool when they reveal two new mould G1 MP's at once: a 'bot and a 'con.

But so, soooo rare.:rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 4
  17. Onilink

Onilink That's my secret, captain, my head always hurts

News Credits:
    I think that the combiner components would not be so expensive, depends how TT wants to sell the "combiner robots" subline, if we consider this one the "Deluxe car robot" line.
    So less to none accessories, simple transformation, but premium paint and toon fidelity...
    The City Bots at Prime price point (or less, the transformation is really basic) are not out of the table, too. For example, take a titan Fortress Maximus, paint it premium, add microfigures, G1 lookalike (i intend remold, of course)and you can call the job done

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  18. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

Completely disagree my friend. You’re imagining a ludicrously different direction to the line that there has been zero evidence it will go in. Since MP-01 this line has never repurposed anything. It has its own identity and it is utterly about premium products, not some repaint of a Chug figure. (That’s why I don’t think we’ll ever see citybots in the line - they’d be so expensive to make that TT would not be able to make the profit enough to cover the cost. Plus they’re trying to keep robot mode scale, more or less, and that would result in a Metroplex about five feet tall).

• Like Like x 6
  19. Onilink

Onilink That's my secret, captain, my head always hurts

News Credits:
    I'm with you with the definition of quality level for the masterpiece, but i want to point (and rectify) to a pair of pre-existing situations:
    1) the scale: Unicron, a WFC only in style model, has already resolved the scale problem with micro figures. This is really a not issue, to me.
    2) reusing the mold: i will not use the mpm example, i know wery well that was only a marketing strategy. But think about ROTF leader prime, then Buster Prime. Do you think that, in the 2011(edit:2009), an hand-articulated mask-swapping prime with die cast parte could look bad with Masterpiece 2009 figures? Also, for the rectification, i was not saying to paint only the figure, but retool in a G1 looks and paint the figure. But also made one on the scratch, the engineering is almost the same, i don't think It will cost so much.

Edit: also, we are talking about borderline cases (we can call It cityboy subline)that, as you have correctly pointed, could not be made according the actual standards

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  20. Chris C137

Chris C137 Have some self respect. Take the QC sticker off.

News Credits:
    You've seemed certain Rodimus v2 is up next for a while now...

3mnz3u.jpg

My body is ready to receive Rodimus v2

• Like Like x 5